Am I moderately active?

Options
This TDEE thing is killing me. I don't have a desk job, and I'm not a waitress, or a construction worker, so I'm having a hard time determining what activity level to choose. I work out 7 days a week, 1-2 hours each day. My activities range from lifting (3x/week), walking on the treadmill, swimming, rowing machine, stationary bike. But everything I do is within a moderate effort (I don't do much HIIT training, so my heart rate is always in a middling range). After working out, though, I spend quite a bit of time sitting. So it's not like I'm running around all day doing stuff. Since other than working out I'm fairly sedentary, should I choose moderate activity?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I recommend choosing sedentary and then logging your exercise
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would say moderately active!

I set mine to sedentary with full plans to eat back my exercise calories just to make it easy on myself, but I really wasn't sure. I don't have a desk job, but I am in front of one a lot. Once I come home at noon, I am on my feet the entire time. I work out, chase my 2 year old around, and stand up any other time. I was really unsure too!! I hope this helps.

I think a lot of people set it low just in case. In my opinion, though, you sound moderately active, easy. You could even be more.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I just used this site and it was very comprehensive!! Great suggestion! Better evaluation than just saying you are sedentary by having a desk job or moderate is nursing. So much grey area.
  • fausonk
    Options
    Thank you for that site! That came up with my TDEE as 2600. It feels like being able to put in all the different activities and their duration in a day is much more effective in determining activity level. Thank you very much. I hope this website gets publicized more!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I recommend choosing sedentary and then logging your exercise
    Agree with this. The tdee calculator puts my calorie needs way too high for my metabolism.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Thanks for this!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Interesting, that calculator is about a 400 calorie difference from most other sites. I wonder how accurate it is.

I think you would be listed as moderate.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Interesting, that calculator is about a 400 calorie difference from most other sites. I wonder how accurate it is.

I think you would be listed as moderate.

Really? When I used this calculator and compared it to others I got pretty much the exact same numbers.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Maybe the difference is that it asks you for everything you do in day where the others only ask you about exercise. I exercise 3 - 5 days/week but my job also has me walking around and being lightly active. I don't know but it was interesting to see a 400 calorie jump.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Triple agreed.