5ft 1, weigh less than 110lbs... but still look ALOT biggee

Options
Hey,

I'm 5 ft 1 , weigh just under 110lbs but feel i look a lot bigger... I have a bit of a saggy belly because of section.. I'm an hourglass shape.. but I'm struggling to want to lose weight as I feel regardless of what i weigh I will always look bigger than I am..

If any one has any suggestions or tips... Or even ideas on clothes that will help feel slimmer ..

Replies

• stacezilla
    Options
    Lift heavy objects.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Yes, lift heavy. Your weight in pounds is not the issue here, it's your lean body mass and body fat. Lift heavy things. No more cardio.

Check out NROLFW or Stronglifts 5x5.
    Google will show you the golden path to follow.
    Share with us your "after" pics when you're done :-D
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 5 ft 1 , weigh just under 110lbs but feel i look a lot bigger... I have a bit of a saggy belly because of section.. I'm an hourglass shape.. but I'm struggling to want to lose weight as I feel regardless of what i weigh I will always look bigger than I am..

If any one has any suggestions or tips... Or even ideas on clothes that will help feel slimmer ..

Hate the c section belly. I think jeans make it look better. Spanks or other shaper to hold it in. I have also heard that abdominal exercises can help, but I haven't noticed that yet. (I do have a lot more weight to lose). I am still struggling with being ok with the saggy belly. I have decided that when I get to my goal weight I am going to do a little cosmetic surgery if I still don't feel comfortable with it. (The shapers really do help).
  • jorgele
    jorgele Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    humm, on your 5'1" frame you may not be able to lose to much more weight and stay healthy. If you haven't already you may want to add a bit more strength training to your workout plan. When I was doing just cardio I was not getting the results I wanted, but when I added strength training that helped me get rid of some problem areas I had. Hope this helps.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you need to do strength training. I'm short too and I realized recently this was the key to looking better, the answer is not losing more weight. Besides if you want to be a personal trainer it seems like you should have strength training experience. I know it isn't a prereq. but I wouldn't want to hire a trainer who didn't have any personal experience. Then again I see you never said that you didn't lift weights...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    There’s an Australian stylist who has an online series called something like "How to dress your hourglass shape." Google it. Be wary of the advice to lift heavy. You are at or close to your goal weight and it sounds as if you think your body is very curvy. The wrong kind of weight training might result in your looking bigger. If you are taking advice from others, make sure you have the same body type, the same goals and are at the same stage of weight loss.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights. Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules for Lifting for Women

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Be wary of the advice to lift heavy. You are at or close to your goal weight and it sounds as if you think your body is very curvy. The wrong kind of weight training might result in your looking bigger. If you are taking advice from others, make sure you have the same body type, the same goals and are at the same stage of weight loss.

Utter hogwash.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Be wary of the advice to lift heavy. You are at or close to your goal weight and it sounds as if you think your body is very curvy. The wrong kind of weight training might result in your looking bigger. If you are taking advice from others, make sure you have the same body type, the same goals and are at the same stage of weight loss.

I think I generally disagree with this. All of this.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Nope, wrong.
  • stacezilla
    Options
    There’s an Australian stylist who has an online series called something like "How to dress your hourglass shape." Google it. Be wary of the advice to lift heavy. You are at or close to your goal weight and it sounds as if you think your body is very curvy. The wrong kind of weight training might result in your looking bigger. If you are taking advice from others, make sure you have the same body type, the same goals and are at the same stage of weight loss.

Lol wut
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The wrong kind of weight training might result in your looking bigger.
    Forever?

Like, if she gets a big muscle on her arm or leg or something, it's never ever going to get smaller for the rest of her life?
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Utter hogwash.

It's hogwash to believe that everyone develops the same after doing the same exercises. Not everyone ends up looking like a fitness model. The OP has specific goals.

Over the years, a couple of women trainers have suggested I lift heavy. They were short as I am and were built like trucks, not a good look.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Utter hogwash.

It's hogwash to believe that everyone develops the same after doing the same exercises. Not everyone ends up looking like a fitness model. The OP has specific goals.

Over the years, a couple of women trainers have suggested I lift heavy. They were short as I am and were built like trucks, not a good look.

you win today's
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Garbage!!! Utter nonsense! :angry:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Utter hogwash.

Then you stop before you get to that point. You don't pick up a barbell today and look like a tank tomorrow. Building muscle mass as a woman is HARD. Lifting heavy as a woman gives you an all-over toned look for the first few months, which would solve the problem of "looking big" that the OP asked about.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Utter hogwash.

Trust me, it takes years of lifting, concentrated effort, and a lot of dietary planning to get a look like that. No one accidentally wakes up built like a truck just because they did a couple heavy squats the day before.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    We're the same height and weight. I had the same complaints that you did (aside from the c-section) when I was doing mostly cardio.

I've lost little weight this year, but through incorporating strength, I've dropped my body fat percentage and that's what made the biggest visual difference.

PS; In response to the person that said weight training will make you bigger. I've taken my waist alone down 3 inches with strength training. Most definitely smaller. No lighter, but it doesn't matter.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Forever?

Like, if she gets a big muscle on her arm or leg or something, it's never ever going to get smaller for the rest of her life?

Think about it. She's curvy, and at under 110 pounds is close to her lowest weight. Her weight distribution is what it is. If you apply heavy direct weight resistance to areas that are disproportionately fat your adding muscle and it's just going to look bigger, which is not what she wants.

Most people who do upper body weight find that their jackets are snug;they may need to go up a size or two. Why would the lower body be any different?

I posted an article about a New York trainer who whips models into shape for fashion shows. He won't let them use weight on the lower body because their hips will be too large to fit into the sample dresses.
    Do you think he's paid thousands because he's wrong?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Forever?

Think about it. She's curvy, and at under 110 pounds is close to her lowest weight. Her weight distribution is what it is. If you apply heavy direct weight resistance to areas that are disproportionately fat your adding muscle and it's just going to look bigger, which is not what she wants.

Most people who do upper body weight find that their jackets are snug;they may need to go up a size or two. Why would the lower body be any different?

I posted an article about a New York trainer who whips models into shape for fashion shows. He won't let them use weight on the lower body because their hips will be too large to fit into the sample dresses
    Do you think he's paid thousands because he's wrong?

I wish I was a 110 lb female so I could build muscle. It's no fair how they bulk up so easily, while us guys with all our testosterone work hours for every ounce of gain.