I can make you thin , really I

Options
cannot not. :bigsmile: only you can.

I was watching a program, not sure if it has been discussed already here. I don't remember. But TLC has a program "I can make you thin" at first it may seem like one of those church broadcasts with a pastor preaching. Only it is not. He doesn't touch your head and push you so hard that you cannot just help but to fall. lol

He talks to you not at you.

Here's how it goes. He had 5 steps to eating what you want and loose weight. And NO dieting. He had a guy on the program that ate what he wanted and he still lost over 100 pounds 130 I think it was.

He basicly told people the reasons for eating, wheather it is emotional or boredom etc. He teaches that you have to eat so you enjoy your food. Taking bites, putting your utentials down, chewing your food, enjoying every bite. Eventually you will become full. He mentioned that people were brought up having to finish everything on their plate and now as adults that is embeded in their mind.
Also with todays fast pace life styles people eat just to eat, just because it is "breakfast time" just because it is "lunch time" or "dinner time"
If we eat when we are hungry, he said, we can get more out of it and enjoy it more.

I believe their is a website with his 5 steps. Maybe do a good search on it. There might also be 3 or 4 more shows on tv through out the month or week. I saw one show and I look forward to seeing another one.

Using that show and things we learn here, maybe we all can make ourselves thin. :smile:

so in the mean time chew your food more. I know many people, a lot of friends even (especially the guys) who really don't chew their food, they take a bite or two then they swallow and then take another bite. They're done with their food even though I've started eating 10 min before they are. (NO JOKE) and they had more food than I did. How sad is that, sad that I eat slow like a bird? Or sad that they think they are enjoying their food and inside they are not?

okay so there's my infomercial for this morning. Have a nice day.

Replies

• Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    cannot not. :bigsmile: only you can.

I was watching a program, not sure if it has been discussed already here. I don't remember. But TLC has a program "I can make you thin" at first it may seem like one of those church broadcasts with a pastor preaching. Only it is not. He doesn't touch your head and push you so hard that you cannot just help but to fall. lol

He talks to you not at you.

Here's how it goes. He had 5 steps to eating what you want and loose weight. And NO dieting. He had a guy on the program that ate what he wanted and he still lost over 100 pounds 130 I think it was.

He basicly told people the reasons for eating, wheather it is emotional or boredom etc. He teaches that you have to eat so you enjoy your food. Taking bites, putting your utentials down, chewing your food, enjoying every bite. Eventually you will become full. He mentioned that people were brought up having to finish everything on their plate and now as adults that is embeded in their mind.
    Also with todays fast pace life styles people eat just to eat, just because it is "breakfast time" just because it is "lunch time" or "dinner time"
    If we eat when we are hungry, he said, we can get more out of it and enjoy it more.

I believe their is a website with his 5 steps. Maybe do a good search on it. There might also be 3 or 4 more shows on tv through out the month or week. I saw one show and I look forward to seeing another one.

Using that show and things we learn here, maybe we all can make ourselves thin. :smile:

so in the mean time chew your food more. I know many people, a lot of friends even (especially the guys) who really don't chew their food, they take a bite or two then they swallow and then take another bite. They're done with their food even though I've started eating 10 min before they are. (NO JOKE) and they had more food than I did. How sad is that, sad that I eat slow like a bird? Or sad that they think they are enjoying their food and inside they are not?

okay so there's my infomercial for this morning. Have a nice day.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ynot... my sister has been telling me to watch this program since it started and I just put it on my DVR last night.

I'm going to watch it tonight... :)
    Angela
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ynot, I watched this the other night, and I like some of the things he was trying to get across. Unfortunately I feel like he might have done damage as well as helped people.

I'll explain.

My wife is an emotional eater, she liked a lot of his points. IMHO I saw through a lot of this imagery into what he was really saying simply BECAUSE I am not an emotional eater. I don't eat when I'm stressed, I don't eat when I'm sad, and I don't eat when I'm angry. So for me, it was more of a curiosity then anything, so I think I could look at this with a more critical eye then someone who IS an emotional eater.

While documenting a few people who have done well is fine, I truely believe it's not a valid argument unless you can prove it works in a scientific way (I.E. using control groups, monitored results, and a large sample group) otherwise it is just here say. We don't know anything else about those people, not taking away their accomplishments, but there could be a hundred other reasons that they lost weight. That's my first point.

My second is, behind all the "Eat what you want" he is really just validating their bad habits. If someone is an emotional eater (he said it himself), you are eating to fill a hole in your life, doesn't that mean you should fill that hole? In other words, find a way to deal with the issues and (hopefully) solve them. What he is doing is treating a symptom of a larger problem. Curbing your diet, if you suceed, will just cause you to find another outlet for that underlying emotional issue, by reducing the amount you eat, you didn't solve the problem behind the emotional eating, you just displaced the outlet of that emotion to another action.

So, that's all I have on this. I do think he hit some valid points, and it was all very showy and fun to watch (as well as a little heart wrenching). But be very careful with this show. In the end, he's a performer, and he is going to put on the show that (ironically enough) taps into the most emotion in his audience. If that emotion is validation, you better bet your *kitten* he will use it to drum up book sales.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    Thanks for the response banks1850
    boasting his sales is exactly the first thought that came to mind. You are right that it is a fun show to watch and he made some good points. I did not how ever think that he could be hurting too.

I'm none of the mentioned type of eaters neither, the weight just sneaks up and I really don't eat different than I did 3 years ago. I don't eat bad, just a little junk food here and there. But not over doing it.

I like your look on his comment of eat What you want. Filling that spot of emptiness is what a lot of people do. I am curious as to the final outcome of this show. It will probably be like watching 24 and you get to a great part of the show and it says "....to be continued"

His comment might be... "if you want to know my final method, concider buying my book" That would be too funny if he did that.

Thanks again for your view on this show.
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to pick everything to pieces?? Why not just take it for what it is..free advice. It's no more or less what you would get if you asked a friend or relative and what you do or don't do with it is your CHOICE. You want science, group studies and undisputed facts..hire a professional
  • banks1850
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to pick everything to pieces?? Why not just take it for what it is..free advice. It's no more or less what you would get if you asked a friend or relative and what you do or don't do with it is your CHOICE. You want science, group studies and undisputed facts..hire a professional

I'm speechless that your so angry about this. I picked it to pieces because he came on and gave the illusion of being a nutritional professional, and gave advice that I found to have certain flaws. I didn't realize I was being disrespectful. I try to be as helpful and supportive to people on here as I can be, but when I see someone making statements, especially on national television, that I think could hurt others or lead them astray, I'd like to think this is the proper forum to discuss it and share my opinion on it. I fail to see the correlation between asking a friend or relative for advice, and watching a show where a man claims to be able to make you thin, unless maybe that friend or relative is a professional in the industry themself.
    I thought I gave a reasoned and calm argument about my thoughts on the program. Was I mistaken?
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Ouch. Banks, I thought your reply was rational and well thought. I agree with you and I talked about the same topic on another thread earlier last week. When someone gives the illusion of being a nutritionist / medical professional whether it's Klee Irwin, Kevin Trudeau, or Paul McKenna it can potentially leave someone down the wrong path. When people look for easy solutions to weight loss they forget that while things are good in moderation, most people can't handle moderation which probably one of the reasons they're overweight/obese.

Eating what you want and when you want is good and all but for someone with an eating disorder and/or problem with obesity this advice could do them more wrong than good.

While it is free advice, wouldn't you prefer to have science and group studies involved when you're trying to change your body and lifestyle? I know I would rather do X and Y from scientific studies to transform my body than listen to someone without one ounce of ethos. After all, not only can McKenna make you thin his other publications proclaim "I Can Make You Rich", "How to Mend Your Broken Heart", "The Power to Influence", and "The Paranormal World of Paul McKenna".

With all these easy answers, I doubt he knows enough about weight loss to state anything on television that's not common sense.
  • littleone68
    Options
    First of all it's television and we all know that they will put anything on it that the censors will allow them to get away with, and that's why the disclaimers are in small print at the end. Just look at all the reality shows on tv. Second, remember that when you read something, you don't necessarily read it in the same tone it was written. I'm not angry, just stating a fact. It is a shame that people can get on tv under the guise of being a professional and people trust in them. But I surmise from reading all these topics and thoughts that most of the people here are smart enough to not take stuff like that at face value and research it more before they follow it. The correlation between the two-- just like if you asked anyone what they think you should do about xyz , they are going to give you their opinion based on their experiences, the only difference is that McKenna is on tv. (and yes I think tv should be held to a higher standard) Either way, would you do what they said or research it more? There are a lot of supportive people on this site and there are also a few that regardless of the topic they beat the bees out of it. When I read those answers I get the same feelings I did back in school when the teacher would come over and say "great job, but.. I apologize if I was taken the wrong way.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think there's anything I can say to change your mind. So I won't say anything at all.

Oh, and thanks Helawat, and Y too, I can tend to overanalyze myself when I am critisized. It's a flaw that I'm not proud of, but also not to proud to admit to (I'm trying to work on that one).
  • Helawat
    Options
    Hrm...I'd rather "beat the bees" out of any topic than take it at face value. If we didn't over analyze topics, especially with weight loss discourse communities, then we'd be trying every weight loss fad and pill that hits the market.
  • littleone68
    Options
    I actually agreed with you Banks and Helawat on a couple of points, but I guess you missed it. I'll try again. I believe that the people on this site are smart enough to not take what they see on tv or read in magazines at face value and would consult a professional first whether it be exercise, a change in diet, or medication. Obviously over analyzing topics isn't really helping because we ARE trying every weight loss fad and pill that hits the market, just look at all the ads in print and on tv. Where do the companies get the money for the ads? From the people who keep buying the products. People are going to put products out there as long as some one will buy it. Whether it works or not. Companies prey on our insecurities. I guess "beat the bees" out of a topic wasn't quite what I meant to say. If you don't agree with something, just say you don't agree, there is no need for a two page dissertation as to why. Your entitled to your opinion. What floored me was this "I doubt he knows enough about weight loss to state anything on television that's not common sense" "this advice could do them more wrong than good" Well if it's common sense, and we're all so knowledgeable about diet and exercise, then why are we all on this site struggling with our weight. And whose to say that our advice couldn't do someone more "harm" than good, none of us are professionals
  • Helawat
    Options
    We are not trying every weight loss fad. As a member of the collective "we", I have never dieted or consumed one diet pill. Rather, some have tried every weight loss fad etc.

Sorry to break it to you but if I don't agree with something and I have documentation from a reputable source, I will post it and hope that as a community we will talk, learn, and dispute the facts. In my English class, if someone disagrees to any one interpretation of literature then the student presents his/her facts or interpretation to the class and we discuss it and learn from each other. I've learned more about Hamlet from my students' interpretations than any deconstructionist essay.

If you're going to quote me, please do it in context. I said, "Eating what you want and when you want is good and all but for someone with an eating disorder and/or problem with obesity this advice could do them more wrong than good." To break this down, for a television personality without credentials to tell people who struggle with obesity or eating disorders that it's alright to eat whatever tastes fancy and still lose weight can do more harm that good. Keep in mind that I used "can" and not the word "will".

You're right, someone giving advice on My Fitness Pal can do more harm than good too. There's no doubt about that; however, television personalities are held to higher standards than me and you and have a tendency to evoke more pathos from a target audience for this reason.

McKenna automatically derives his ethos from his goodwill/good intentions which makes him more likely to persuade someone to do something that can really harm them in the long run.

This is the difference between McKenna's advice and the advice from My Fitness Pal members: McKenna portrays himself as a professional and is deceiving his audience; we recognize ourselves as a discourse community that struggles with not only weight but other issues such as health, body image, and fitness.
  • banks1850
    Options
    So from what I have read, I take this, we all agree that this guy is a bit of a snake oil salesman. He has done some reading and knows the right things to say, but having no medical background to speak of, and a very solid understanding of human emotion, he uses that to his advantage. Can we agree on that?

I guess littleone, your issue is with the fact that some of us, myself included, like to call people out who we disagree with. To each their own I guess. I mean, I'm not going to stop wanting the people on here to know the facts as I feel they are. Will I always be right? No, of course not; but while I'm not a certified nutritionist or a doctor, or even a trainer, I have done enough research, and spoken to enough professionals to at least question things I hear that I feel are wrong or misguided. In doing that, I like to present a solid argument, that's just my nature, and that includes, facts, and studies. One thing I have learned about health and fitness is that there are lots of wild half truths and unsupported statements out there. I'm just trying to put facts behind the statements, sometimes I'm for them, other times I'm not; and of course, the one thing I have a very strong opinion about is the people and companies out there trying to sell "diets" and pills and get thin quick schemes. I know the facts on what it takes to be healthy, I know because I researched it, and then put that research to acutal use and it worked for me. I don't pretend that my work is the same as others, but it is valid, and can be used, if not as part of the proof, at least as a motivator for others and a sign that, yes, I have delt with the same issues as everyone else.

I don't like other people being bothered with my statements, but I am prepared to live with it if I feel I'm doing the right thing. I'm truely sorry if my statements bother you, I try to keep them as impersonal as possible. But this is a harsh buisness emotionally (health), and sometimes feelings are hurt unintentionally.
  • littleone68
    Options
    You mean hypnotherapist Paul McKenna. His technique is hypnosis.... his system involves listening to reassuring messages such as... 'stop eating when you've had enough'... 'enjoy what you eat'.... and a lot of other basically common-sense ideas. The tapping technique is a distraction method, delaying tactic to give someone time to overcome a craving. I think there are some aversion techniques as well such as imagining a chocolate covered in dog-hair...
    Many people love his work and buy his books/CDs in large volumes. I seem to meet 50% of people that say it has helped and an equal number that say it didn't help! Personally, I think the most useful thing it does is remind someone that they are the ones responsible for what they eat and that they can change how they approach food quite easily.

I think the ideas he's peddling are all common sense but it takes time to change your whole mindset towards food. I mean, it's not easy to just stop eating when you're full when you first start dieting! It took me a long time to retrain my brain.

I saw it when it first aired, and to be honest about it. I'm not that crazy about it. I did the tapping thing and I wanted some candy a hour later. I think I'm going to stay with my program. I don't see why I should mess up my own good thing with another change.. Did that and I have done that. I don't think I want to go into losing weight that way. I just heard of this man, and I started to think to myself. Why come out now in the USA. If you really know how to help us "Fat people" Lose weight why share this information with us now. I can't go with the when you are hungry eat, because sometimes that means you need to drink a glass of water. I don't want to mistake the two feelings and then end up with more weight gain.

These three responses are from another site I belong to ..straight forward and to the point, positive and negative. Unlike the bloviated, over analytical responses here that could only confuse someone.
    My last an final comment on this topic...I could only hope that someone with an obesity issue, whether it be mentally or physically founded would be smart enough to seek the help of a professional before jumping on the next fad train through town. Oh and the "collective we" means society as a whole.
  • banks1850
    Options
    These three responses are from another site I belong to ..straight forward and to the point, positive and negative. Unlike the bloviated, over analytical responses here that could only confuse someone.

Now That I take offense too. I can only presume, since there are only 3 of us in the conversation and your comment comes right after mine, that you mean me.
    You don't like my answers, debate them or keep your mouth shut on them. But don't Insult me! I have and always do my best to be as courteous as I know how. Whether you like my answers or not! Bloviated? So you think my answers are arrogant? Fine, then don't respond to conversations that I am having, and I'll be sure to stay away from you. Wouldn't want to offend you!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to get in the middle of an on-going argument. I would like to say that I appreciate the "over analytical" responses that I get from the members of this site. All of the information that I have been provided from the members of MFP have helped me to begin suceeding with my journey into weight loss. I take everything that is said with a grain of salt and research it myself to obtain my own conclusions. I, for one, can not afford to consult a professional at this time. So please continue to analyze, research and express any opinions you may have. I know I am grateful for everyone who posts anything that gets my brain moving. -Heather
  • Helawat
    Options
    .......Unlike the bloviated, over analytical responses here that could only confuse someone.
    My last an final comment on this topic...I could only hope that someone with an obesity issue, whether it be mentally or physically founded would be smart enough to seek the help of a professional before jumping on the next fad train through town. Oh and the "collective we" means society as a whole.

As members of society my friends, boyfriend, myself, or family members don't follow weight loss fads. Rather, weight loss and dieting is an epidemic in today's society.

If you're upset over the deconstruction of weight loss because it confuses you or other readers, then all the reader has to do is ask a question; the only stupid question is the one unasked.

I totally agree with Banks and pulling the following from one of his posts- if you don't like us researching articles and critically thinking about weight loss then you have two options:

1.) Debate them. This community was established for enlightenment. Questions, debate, and critical thought are necessary to finding the right answer in a devious industry such as weight loss. Whether you're saying "I agree" or "I disagree", you're positively adding to the community.

2.) Keep your mouth shut. There's no reason to insult someone because you don't like analytical posts. It's not going to stop and others find it every resourceful. As "hmmm" posted earlier, she cannot afford a professional and takes pleasure in the analysis and research offered by community members.

If you think debate and analysis in the name of learning and insight is bloviated, then don't put others down when they're learning from such analysis to transform their bodies and lifestyles.