Knee question

megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I hurt my knee about a month ago. I couldn't hardly bear weight initially but it has gotten better. I am walking and climbing hills and just started doing the stairs at work again. I find if I tip toe up the hills on the bad knee it isn't as painful. Now the knee is swollen again and the pain has increased. So I iced it and took some ibuprofen. For those with bad knee's what do you do. Keep on doing the exercising or stop. Will keeping at it eventually improve the knee or further damage it? After a month I thought it was safe to start working it again.

Replies

• schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    You could have tendonitis as a result of your previous injury....I would suggest buying a knee brace for aerobic exercise and see if you can't find an indoor pool around somewhere....the best way to work out pain free! And go see a doctor! Don't want to make a troublesome problem even worse by straining it further
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    I hurt my knee about a month ago. I couldn't hardly bear weight initially but it has gotten better. I am walking and climbing hills and just started doing the stairs at work again. I find if I tip toe up the hills on the bad knee it isn't as painful. Now the knee is swollen again and the pain has increased. So I iced it and took some ibuprofen. For those with bad knee's what do you do. Keep on doing the exercising or stop. Will keeping at it eventually improve the knee or further damage it? After a month I thought it was safe to start working it again.

Did you initially see a doctor when you hurt your knee? If so, I'd check back with him/her to find out when it would be ok to start exercising again and which types of exercises would be ok. I definitely would not continue to exercise with it being swollen and causing you pain. Ice and ibuprofen will help temporarily, but you really should see your doctor about it. My advice is to STOP working out immediately and call your doctor.
  • Honestly, I would go to your doctor. I hurt my knee several years ago and just kept trying to push through the pain. After months I went to the doctor and found out I had a torn meniscus and needed surgery. I was only making things worse by waiting and irritating it over and over. It might not be anything like that, but with your knees, it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I haven't seen a doctor this time but I hurt it 3 years ago and the pain is similar. I had something called patellar subluxation where my knee cap doesn't track well. I also had some cysts and degenerative changes. So I have been doing the exercises I had before and my this time I should have been better. I have been putting off the doc since it is all out of pocket as really didn't want to spend the money but I suppose I should just get myself in there. Darn. I sure have better things to spend my money on.
This discussion has been closed.