Mediterranean diet

Options
Has anyone tried the mediterranean diet or the paleo diet? I just started reading about them both and wanted to know if anyone has tried them and did it work? looking for a change of eating habbits since mine do not work! " A little help here. " THANKS!!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by did it work?

The Med diet for example is an ambiguous analogy simply because there's more to the state of their health than consuming fish, olive oil and whole grains and if you moved to say Italy's Amalfi Coast or the Island of Crete for example, I'm sure you would see a different lifestyle taking place that has a large impact of their overall well being. Paleo I won't comment on simply because it's more of a recent fad diet.
  • Guitar1969
    Guitar1969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean diet is very similar to the South Beach Diet (I am doing SBD and its going very well. High protein, good fats, with good carbs (slow absorbing) Paleo is another variation - high protein, without whole grains, legumes, or dairy, but seems popular with the Cross fit folks. All of these are somewhat low carb, but not extreme, but more about choosing better carbs (Ones with lower glycemic index). Personally I feel going low carb can be hard enough, but to not have dairy and whole grains on Paleo is really hard. My business partner is on Paleo while I do SBD and his food choices are much more limited, so I am not sure if its a long term solution where SBD can be.

But the principals are all the same - limited carbs , higher protein, and good fats.
  • l_beakley
    l_beakley Posts: 48
    Options
    My doctor just put me on the Mediterranean diet & I am already seeing results! He also told me to stop drinking soda so I've made that change as well. I'm already noticing an increase in my energy, I'm not hungry all the time & I'm down 2 pounds. I was doing Weight Watchers but he told me to stop following that because it wasn't helping me. I was GAINING weight! Once you cut down on the processed foods you will notice a HUGE change. I'm glad I started this life change.
  • joolie1h
    joolie1h Posts: 2
    Options
    I have started eating better following the guidelines of a Mediterranean lifestyle. For me cutting down on red meat will be difficult, especially since my husband is unwilling to do so and I do love my red meat! At the very least I'll reduce my portions.

Normally on weekends I gain 2-3 pounds and during the week I lose them. Every week for months now.
    After only 5 days of my new mindset, this weekend I finally didn't gain! That's a huge motivator for me.

So I'm looking forward to eating more fruit and vegetables, nuts and whole grains. Maybe if my man sees positive results in me he'll reconsider (because in truth he needs to do this more than I for all kinds of health reasons).

I read up on the Paleo diet a bit, but ruled it out as too expensive and too restricted for me to remain on long-term. Buying only grass-fed meat and dairy (some adherents allow dairy in moderation) is not easy and not cheap. I realize you can't put a price on your health, and what you spend on food you'll save on medical bills, but I think the Med way of eating will be enough of an improvement for me.

Both Med and Paleo focus a lot on lifestyle, activity and overall health.
    I'm pretty sure you can't eat your way fit so I'll have to address that too!