Period weight... UGH!

Weigh in every week same time, same day, same clothes. My monthly friend just left yesterday, I stepped on the scale today to a 16 pound gain from last week! Is it even possible to gain that much weight from your period? How long do you wait after Aunt Flo leaves to weigh yourself?

I just feel so upset, I've been eating right, working out and then to see a 16 pound gain breaks my heart.

-Rach

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Weigh in every week same time, same day, same clothes. My monthly friend just left yesterday, I stepped on the scale today to a 16 pound gain from last week! Is it even possible to gain that much weight from your period? How long do you wait after Aunt Flo leaves to weigh yourself?

I just feel so upset, I've been eating right, working out and then to see a 16 pound gain breaks my heart.

-Rach

My period weight gain is 2-3 kg in a bad month (6-9lb). I just subtract that from the scales to show my 'real weight', or i put the scales away for a few days. You know why, so don't stress x
  • Thrasherbabe
    Thrasherbabe Posts: 68 Member
    1) It is completely normal to gain weight during your period! I go up anywhere from 4-6lbs. But everyone is different
    2) Look at your sodium and water intake? This might be one of the culprits to your slight gain.

In my honest opinion, I wouldn't worry about it. I would say after a good 7-10days your weight should go back to normal assuming your diet isn't fluctuating drastically. If you're working out hard, eating healthy and loving life then the numbers shouldn't matter! Its how you feel..... I should probably start taking my own advice, eh?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    I can't believe that's even physically possible. Any chance the scale is defective?
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    I seriously do not bother to weight myself from day 26 til after my period is totally gone. I typically gain up to 5 pounds, which is currently 2.5% of my body weight. 16 pounds seems a bit hard to believe. But anything is possible.

I am trying to cut back on coffee, chocolate, etc. the week before mine. It is a huge problem. What is worse is the 5 pounds is all in the tummy, I get constipated, and water logged and basically look about 6 months pregnant for 3 days.

I am going to spend the days 21-28 focusing more on meditation, drinking herbal teas, sleeping extra and drinking more water to see if any of that helps this month.

I have no good suggestions. I have accepted days 26-whenever are going to suck, so I (a) don't weight myself and (b) buy a big shirt (I actually bought a maternity top at Target...lol).
  • Awww don't let it deter you. The scale is evil; when it doesn't agree with us, lol. But serious I only weigh myself once per month, 2 weeks after Aunt Flo visits. Pictures never lie, I take 4 pictures-front, back, and both sides every two weeks, it's amazing. Good luck and never give up.
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Okay.....um I sorta lose the bloated weight during my period! I lose like two kilos or something? Is that abnormal ? Lol
  • I swear by detox or dandilion tea :) it helps get rid of the water weight and bloating. it reccomends using it for a week so I use it as needed or the week of my period side effects to help balance it out.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Actually this time I tried the green tea with lemon and
    a) my stomach did'nt cramp
    b) the weight only went up by 2 pound but i am sure that is due to me eating lots of junk eg chocolate pastries cake crisps etc
    c) I drank about 5/6 cups of green tea a day for about 4 days during the period from first day onwards

Usually I have awful periods the cramps and cravings and weight increase has been awful all my life (age 45) I have tried everything anybody has told me but it never really had alot of effect anyway this worked for me will continue with the green tea anyway as I have grown to like the taste:smile:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    put the scale away and let the way your clothes fit you be your guide. I hate letting the number on the scale difine me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Why did you bother weighing yourself during your period? That's just asking for disappointment. If you weigh the same in two weeks then revisit your diet.