Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Squat, free weight or rack

2»

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Start small and move up. I don't have anyone spotting me, I started with just the bar and then added weight as I progressed.

^^This. Lolly's doing it right. I don't have or need anyone spotting me for squats, either. Squat in the cage or use a squat rack with olympic barbells--don't squat using the Smith Machine for all the reasons already mentioned.

If the standard olympic bar is too heavy for you to start with unloaded, find out if your gym has what is known as a women's bar. It's shorter and lighter, and you should be ok starting with that. I think most women are ok with the standard oly bar when starting out, however.

I use Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program and have had great results with it. Stronglifts 5x5 is pretty similar, I think (and is free, as mentioned) A lot of women here use the book/program The New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW). There's a great deal of support/discussion on that program all over the internet, including here on MFP.

Thank you :)