Does anyone NOT like lifting heavy?body/medium weights

Options
Does anyone NOT like lifting heavy?body/medium weights/ dvds/ youtube instead?
I personally have never lifted heavy before. I don't have the money to join a gym, or the transportation, or really the time to make it to and fro. I applaud the people who can! And I don't have the money to magically transform an entire room of my house into a strength room, as I also share with other people.

I know the forums are largely "Lifting heavy is the only way!" and sometimes I almost feel bad about myself for being generally uninterested/unable due to finances and other factors. I may try in the future, but I almost feel like there's NO way I'm going to like the way I look(make no mistake though! I am VERY focused on health, not "being skinny"!) or achieve a good level of fitness if I DON'T lift heavy. Has anyone ever felt this way before?

Anyways, so the point of the post is for reassurance that lifting heavy is not the ONLY option. Pictures of people who have done body weight workouts, DVDs, or even straight cardio people would be great too.

I have done DVDs so far and I like the video type of workout because it keeps me on track and following what I need to do. I'm also planning on a new program soon which is bodyweight exercise, like focussing on abs one day for 60 mins (with some cardio breaks) then focussing on legs the next, arms, etc. The videos are on youtube, and they look really fun to me.

TL;DR version : Does anyone not like lifting heavy or had great success without it because I'm scared there's no other way.

Replies

• martinh78
    Options
    Lots of people in the real world (not on mfp) never lift or lift heavy and you certainly do not need to join a gym.

Just get out and run, it's the simplest, most accessible form of fitness/sport there is. You can add hill intervals and steps, hillwalking with a heavy pack, mountain biking if you like.

I look at the old guys (and younger gals :love: ) when I'm out running and they are lean, healthy, and don't use the gym or lift weights.

If you want a muscular body or to add significant muscle mass that is different, just like you couldn't be a rower without a boat you'll not be a bodybuilder without lifting, but not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder.

Do what makes you happy. Years ago I'd never considered lifting weights, I just mountain biked 5 times a week and I was the fittest, healthiest I'd ever been. No one ever told me I looked skinny fat, they all commented on how great my legs looked though :)

I do press-ups, pull-ups and a few dumbell routines at home for my arms, chest and back, but that's only because I rock climb and it's "out of season" at the moment. Come the summer I'll just climb, run and bike.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy. Just putting that out there.

However, if you lift lighter weights to failure, you will get the same results.

The important part of that statement is TO FAILURE.

As many reps as it takes.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Mark Lauren is all about bodyweight exercises, and I know plenty of people who swear by his You Are Your Own Gym workouts.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I am one of those heavy lifters...haha. However, I believe there are certainly other great ways to build strength, and I use them as well!

I started using a single kettlebell back in August of last year, right here at home in my living room, in a very small area. It didn't take up a whole room at all. I have since added two more heavier kettlebells to my collection, and still use them several times a week for workouts. Excellent workout, and I have never bought a DVD, just invested in the bells themselves and done lots of reading on the internet, a few books, and watched zillions of videos.

Some of my kettlebell workouts incorporate body weight exercises too. I have also done straight body weight workouts at home. They are definitely challenging if you're doing them correctly! I still do a bit of bodyweight stuff, pretty much every day. Mark Lauren has some really great bodyweight programs--You Are Your Own Gym is the book I have. There is an app for that as well, I believe, and have heard that is great.

Some other cool stuff you can do at home: resistance bands (super cheap, take up no room, very versatile, can travel with them), if you want to get a pull up bar you can do that. sandbag training is fun and doesn't take up a bunch of room, and there are no heavy weights to worry about putting through a window or denting your floor with.

I think the important thing is to make sure you're incorporating some honest to goodness strength training into your workouts, as it's very important for your general health to do so, but it also makes your body LOOK better.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Heavy is best.....period.

But something is better than nothing. Find out what works for you and DO IT!!! Getting out and doing an excercise is better then sitting around and talking about it, go out and excercise.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    you could look into you are your own gym

there is a book and an app for ipads and phones

I've got it on the Ipad - hubby is meant to be using it, I've had a look through it and the exercises are great fro strength training

the other one that would be interesting is convict conditioning (again in an app and book)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There are loads of people with different goals and you are right there is a strong bias on these forums towards lifting heavy.

It's not that I don't like lifting heavy but injuries to back, knee and shoulder mean that the classic compound heavy lifts are mostly beyond the capabilities of my damaged joints.

My routine includes lots of cardio (training for a long cycle ride at the moment), bodyweight exercises (including 100 push-up challenge), dumbbell, barbell and weight machine routines.

My priority is CV health and aerobic fitness but my split over the week is approx 50/50 cardio and strength. Apart from the fitness & health benefits I do it because I enjoy it!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This isn't true. Doing as many reps to failure and lifting heavy are two completely different things.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

This isn't true. Doing as many reps to failure and lifting heavy are two completely different things.
    Yes , completely different
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options

i agree with CR and chad
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Yes, but they'll yield similar results.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I like hypertrophy reps... giving me the most results so far. Pick 4 exercises and circuit train those for 90-120 minutes = success. (For me)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Yes, but they'll yield similar results.

Not really. To over-simplify greatly, you can lift for hypertrophy, endurance, or strength. If all types of lifting yielded similar results, all athletes would lift the same way, and they don't.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    There have been no conclusive results that going to failure builds any more muscle than using RPE feeling a pump only means blood is going to said area, not necessarily building muscle as well. Although, I like to do more reps than lifting heavier doesn't mean that's for everyone. I have bad nerves in my hands, which hurts my strength gains, but I train around that issue. What's even more important than arguing over how to stimulate the muscle is proper nutrition and rest.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I do have some weights already, though only up to 10 pounds. I'll probably purchase a few more (up to 20) in the future, and I usually run around 1-2 times a week.

I'm going to try the Blogilates Calender after I'm finished with the program I have, but I really like some of the ideas listed by you guys! I'll certainly look into You Are Your Own Gym.

Someone here hit the nail on the head when they used the word "skinnyfat". That's pretty much my main concern. I want a good and healthy/fit body fat percentage, not to be 99 pounds with a 28% BF%! (99 pounds is not my goal, just for the record haha) I know the forums are really into telling cardio-only people they will be skinnyfat, so that's scary too (even though I don't JUST do cardio) because I'm only less than 13 pounds away from my goal and I feel VERY skinnyfat.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've tried heavy lifting, and while it's marvellous it was incompatible with my running as I had permanent DOMS, and I couldn't do it at home without investing in a lot of equipment. Now I do medium weights, medium reps mainly with a couple of dumbbells, dynamic resistance with a kettlebell, and home DVDs that combine cardio and resistance.

<--- Not too disappointed with my muscles.

And this change in size, if not much in scale weight:
    beforeduring_zpsc6216f5a.jpg
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Lots of people like the videos, I say go for it with what's comfortable for you. Really if you are exercising a few times a week and eating healthy that's huge towards your general health. I think as a general principle whatever you are doing, just gradually increase the intensity or level of challenge so your body can grow from it.

For me I had been doing lots of cardio and eating well and getting fit and felt like I needed more strength. So last July I paid a trainer to show me a workout I could do on my own. There are a fair number of things that at least to start you don't even need weights for that involve strength/resistance training, pushups, dips which can be done on a chair, abs, squats and lunges.

I have a set of light-moderate weights(6lb to 25lb(only recently) fit under my desk - I also don't have the room in my house. While I do go to the gym I like most working out at home.

I don't think you need weights to "feel healthy" but adding strength training in combination with good nutrition on top of my cardio was very helpful for me, particularly in changing my body fat percentage.

Good luck!
  • Jen800
    Options
    Lots of people like the videos, I say go for it with what's comfortable for you. Really if you are exercising a few times a week and eating healthy that's huge towards your general health. I think as a general principle whatever you are doing, just gradually increase the intensity or level of challenge so your body can grow from it.

For me I had been doing lots of cardio and eating well and getting fit and felt like I needed more strength. So last July I paid a trainer to show me a workout I could do on my own. There are a fair number of things that at least to start you don't even need weights for that involve strength/resistance training, pushups, dips which can be done on a chair, abs, squats and lunges.

I have a set of light-moderate weights(6lb to 25lb(only recently) fit under my desk - I also don't have the room in my house. While I do go to the gym I like most working out at home.

I don't think you need weights to "feel healthy" but adding strength training in combination with good nutrition on top of my cardio was very helpful for me, particularly in changing my body fat percentage.

Good luck!

Yes! I eat quite clean, exercise about 4-5 times a week on average. I try to push myself to use the heaviest weight I can manage whenever doing a DVD or program.

and BerryH: Nice work! you look great!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've tried heavy lifting, and while it's marvellous it was incompatible with my running as I had permanent DOMS...

That's interesting. I have found that heavy lifting has improved my race pace. I actually prefer both heavy lifting AND endurance running. I'm better off with both than I am with either one alone. I say everyone should just do what works for them and not worry about what other people think. :flowerforyou:
  • Jen800
    Options
    I've tried heavy lifting, and while it's marvellous it was incompatible with my running as I had permanent DOMS...

That's interesting. I have found that heavy lifting has improved my race pace. I actually prefer both heavy lifting AND endurance running. I'm better off with both than I am with either one alone. I say everyone should just do what works for them and not worry about what other people think. :flowerforyou:

good advice!