Walking question.

Options
So at the moment walking is my main exercise, I am trying to build up my fitness level so that I can start doing other thing and for now I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do to get the most benefits out of walking? I'm looking for anything I can be doing while i am waling to help me out.

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Walking is terrific exercise!

If you are eating well and walking every every for exercise then that's an awesome way to lose weight. When you feel like it, you can step things up a bit and add some resistance training, but for now I say just keep walking!!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    keep on walking. Go a bit further and/ or a bit faster when you feel you can. I lost the first 36 odd lbs of my weight just walking, it si that effective as exercise!

(One day, you may want to run too; go with it, but be warned it is addictive :bigsmile: ).
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Walk faster and walk further.If you can,find some steep hills.
  • carrieanneutting
    Options
    Hi there! I think you need to start building up your endurance. Typically, the average person walks a couple of miles to get excercise and that takes about half an hour. Building up endurance takes a bit longer. Ideally, start off an endurance walk with stretching your legs and arms before you start and then walk for 5-10 minutes and stretch again. From there, try to walk 5 miles and make a note of how long this takes you. Repeat this until you feel like your body is used to that distance and then add a mile on and make notes of how long that takes you... then another mile... and continue until you can walk 10 miles without stopping to have a break. It may take a while, but you will be building up your endurance and fitness this way.
    Maybe you can also do a bit of power walking too? You could do one endurance walk a week, one fairly relaxed walk a week and one more speedy walk per week. On the more speedy one you could walk normally for one minute and then power walk for one minute and continue that for about half an hour. Then when that gets easy you can change it to one minute normal walking and 2 minutes power walking... and then change it to 3 minutes power walking.... and so on!
    I hope this helps!
  • redfireangel
    Options
    Thanks Carrie, some great ideas there :) I am walking about 2-3 miles a day just now so i will try and up that to four when I can and keep building.

I'm tempted to put a few of my textbooks in a back pack and wear that when i am walking too, see if that helps me any either.

And you are so right PurpleTina, I would love to be able to run. One of my goals is to run a marathon but for now I will stick to walking :) x
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would follow the advice of trying to build into endurance walks and adding distance rather than adding weight. Putting weight on or walking with handweights can affect your body mechanics and put things out of whack. Find some hills and try to build your endurance that way - and also try to increase your speed. Running apps like Runkeeper log distance and average pace for walking just like they do for running. I love walking and I think it's really great exercise. One thing I try to do is add in a long walk (5.5 miles) on the weekends when I have a little more time - it's on a beautiful trail and really lifts my spirits. You may want to look for something similar near you.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carrie, some great ideas there :) I am walking about 2-3 miles a day just now so i will try and up that to four when I can and keep building.

I'm tempted to put a few of my textbooks in a back pack and wear that when i am walking too, see if that helps me any either.

And you are so right PurpleTina, I would love to be able to run. One of my goals is to run a marathon but for now I will stick to walking :) x

Watch doing that. It may pull on your back in a bad way and cause a back injury. Just be careful.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you use a treadmill or not. But I do the hill program it is a combination of hills and flat surfaces. I increase my level each week and do intervals on it ranging from 3.0-3.4mph. I sweat like a pig in just 20 mins. Before I would walk for miles outside and not sweat at all. Just find what works best for you whether it is increase your speed or add hills or walk longer. Best of luck.
  • jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I lost 6 stone with good diet and walking. (Please kindly ignore the fact that I didn't keep it up and am back here again!)

I trained up and walked a marathon - took a LOT of time each week, but if you've got the time I would really recommend it. Or if that's too much, then perhaps a half marathon, or some other distance? It gives a real sense of achievement, helps keeps you focused and encourages you to really build up the distance.(Plus can raise a lot of money for charity!) I followed a training plan given out by one of the charities that was organising marathon disance events. Basically 2 short and one long walk/run each week. At the beginning, short was 1 mile, long was 2ish. At the peak of training (a couple of weeks before he big day) short was 7ish, long was 20 miles! That's why training took so much time - at even a brisk walking speed, those distances just DO take some hours, no getting around it.
  • redfireangel
    Options
    Thanks for the warnings about hurting my beck, i never really though of that. I'm pretty novice to regular exercise so tips like that are much appreciated!

Thankfully i live in Scotland so hills are pretty easy to come by! I think I will see if i can add one or two to my walking route. Will give me a chance to build on distance as well :) At the moment i am using the Strivv app on my iPhone but i am hoping to get a fitbit sometime soon.

Thanks again for all the great advice
  • mrkwns24
    Options
    Just ease in to it. Go slow and comfortably at first, but if you want results eventually you're going to have to push yourself just out of the comfort zone. Wearing a pack is all right, but not really necessary. I train with about 10 lbs in mine, but only on the weekends. The week is filled with short 4-8 mile walks, and Saturday I go big with anywhere from 12-20 mile walks. Mind you, this is training for the Bataan Memorial Death March next month, which is a marathon distance, but even after the event I plan to keep doing my walks. Move briskly, pump your arms, etc. As long as you're getting into it, then it's all good! There's an elderly fellow at my complex who speed walks with weights! Oh, and I highly recommend NOT using a treadmill because of the bore factor. Outside, jamming to the FIT Radio app on my smartphone, and tracking distance and time with either My Tracks or RunKeeper, is how I like to do it. However, to each their own, so do what you enjoy.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Something I've found - find a route that you enjoy walking. My weekend route is alongside the Mississippi river and it's really pretty, but my daily route is around the fancy houses near me. I think enjoying the view motivates you to keep walking. (But don't be afraid to explore somewhere new as well.)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Walking is all I did for years. Walk fast, walk longer, find hills. If on TM, use the incline.

Make sure to use your upper body too by swinging your arms...google for proper form.
  • aa62579
    Options
    Maybe include some of the walking videos in your week. (I'm partial to Leslie Sansone.) Most of them are aerobic/toning. Some use weights, some resistance bands, etc. Some include some interval jogging.

(Her "walking" includes the normal walk/march in place, side steps, knee lifts, kicks, and kick-backs, so you aren't just walking in place the entire time.)
  • redfireangel
    Options
    Thanks aa62579, I looked up her videos this morning. I found it pretty fasted paced walking so it was nice to feel i was pushing myself a little. I did 25 mins of on of her vids this morning and I will finish it off tonight when i get home (about another 20 mins) plus what i normally walk in a day should be a pretty good daily work out :) Great recommendation!

BlackKat75- another good idea, normally when i am out with my dogs i follow the same route so maybe i have gotten to used to it to enjoy it so i think today i will try going a different way :) Thanks x

At the moment i dont have a treadmill so i will try and add some hills to my walking while i am out. :)
  • PurpleTina
    Options
    ...if you're in Scotland, the Edinburgh Moonwalk might be a thought for a future challenge; there's a Half Moon too.

I got started walking because I had a place on the London Moonwalk, an amazing experience. The founder Nina Barough has written a really good book called 'Walking for Fitness' which is brilliant for technique, as well as some suitable strengthening exercises and good stretches too.
  • redfireangel
    Options
    Thanks PurpleTina,

I had a look at it, I think it might be a bit much too soon for this year but its something i will put on my list to work towards :) Thanks x
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    have a look into Nordic walking - works a lot more of the body than just the legs.
  • PurpleTina
    Options
    Thanks PurpleTina,

I had a look at it, I think it might be a bit much too soon for this year but its something i will put on my list to work towards :) Thanks x

no prob. you'll need to register in advance anyway, Moonwalks are hugely popular.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    keep on walking. Go a bit further and/ or a bit faster when you feel you can. I lost the first 36 odd lbs of my weight just walking, it si that effective as exercise!

(One day, you may want to run too; go with it, but be warned it is addictive :bigsmile: ).

100% This ^^^