Do You Do Your Walking Outside Alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• miswen
    miswen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also live in a rural area.I guess I feel comfortable in my surroundings. I live about 8 miles from town and it is mostly farmland around my home. We have 80 acrea and once in a while I walk through our property but it is pretty uneven and I have to watch our for cow droppings. I prefer the country roads around my home. I have lived out here 20+ years and do know most of the people who live on the route I take. I do take my cell but maybe I am naive but I have always felt completely safe. It also feels pretty peaceful to me.
    I guess you have to do what feels "right" for you:smile:
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned a loud and/or high pitched whistle in their self-defense arsenal. It not only startles the attacker but lets others in the area know that something unusual is going on. If you're not sure you'd be able to power it in an emergency there are whistles available that are powered by compressed air and have the additional benefit of being able to direct the sound so that you are behind it.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I walk alone all the time. I've walked through cities and forests with my own good company and have never been scared. Now I have a dog, so I am even more not-scared. Life is just too short to be scared. Carry yourcell phone and some pepper spray and go enjoy that beautiful property of yours!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Leslie Sansone Walk at Home workouts? I love them and they give you a great workout without killing you. They are only 10 bucks at walmart and you can buy them by miles. :wink:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    There are some places I walk alone and some places I won't. Honestly though, I walk with my 119 lb cousin and if someone wanted to take either of us, they would. There is one hill I LOVE to walk (with my cousin) and there are spots with no cell coverage. I'm a little weary at times, but I'm not going to let it keep me from doing it (and there are mountain lyons and wolfs there). I always tell my husband (if he's at home) or someone where I'm going. I know the walk takes me 45 min at the very most, and often text someone when I'm going the bathroom at the half way point. I often bring my 90 lb lab that would lick someone to death and there is a ranger station near the half way point. I think it all comes down to how populated the area is.
    I keep meaning to get pepper-spray too, but I keep forgetting and don't want my daughter to get a hold of it.
    If I were in your shoes I would try to map out a safe route close to your home and have your hubby walk with you on the weekends a few time. Trust your gut and don't use your iPod.
    I'm a huge fan of Criminal Minds and my husband always tells me I should stop watching it because it makes me too paranoid, I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about walking alone at time.