Eat to bulk on a budget

Help!

So I've been here a while, loving it, seeing gains but the cost of the additoinal food is killing me a little. Any tips/ thoughts on how to make the pennies stretch whilst the muscles build!??

I buy frozen bags of chicken, tuna, salmon from the supermarkets and a massive bag of rice from an Asian store - massive bargin but any other ideas? I just don't seem to have the funds to build and struggle to hit the 2270 daily intake?!

I was buying protein bars in packs of 12 but my money just doesnt stretch (the bars are good, quick and easy for when I'm on the go)

Replies

• Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Are there any other areas of your budget that you feel you might be able to cut back to compensate?

Also, you can follow what's on sale and look for items that fit your dietary desires that are on sale.

Do you live in a metro area?

Often stores that cater to certain ethnic groups (asian or latin supermarkets) will have items that are staples way cheaper in bulk packages than traditional supermarkets.

Do you know anyone who has a Costco/Sam's/BJ's membership? Perhaps you can tag along with them on a trip.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    Carbs are cheap and that is where most of your gains will come from when bulking.
  • gvdoliver
    gvdoliver Posts: 106 Member
    Thanks guys, yeah focusing on the budget, I'm looking at a halogen oven to save some costs - on my own in the week so seems like a no brainer.

Like the Costco idea - I now some people great idea!

ANd true, I do need more carbs so maybe not too bad if going for the bulk by in the ethnic shops
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    -Buy meat in bulk and freeze until you need it.
    -If time and convenience are prompting you to buy items that are more expensive, you could try to pre-cook items for the week when you have some time off.

EDIT: making beef and potato hand pies would be fairly convenient and cheap if you made them ahead of time. And they can travel fairly well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Help!

So I've been here a while, loving it, seeing gains but the cost of the additoinal food is killing me a little. Any tips/ thoughts on how to make the pennies stretch whilst the muscles build!??

I buy frozen bags of chicken, tuna, salmon from the supermarkets and a massive bag of rice from an Asian store - massive bargin but any other ideas? I just don't seem to have the funds to build and struggle to hit the 2270 daily intake?!

I was buying protein bars in packs of 12 but my money just doesnt stretch (the bars are good, quick and easy for when I'm on the go)

Rice, pasta and beans are pretty cheap and stop wasting money on protein bars if you're on a budget

Ground beef is pretty cheap as well, get 80/20
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Dried beans and lentils are dirt cheap.
  • rdouma73
    rdouma73 Posts: 2,064 Member
    About once a month I will buy a turkey, not too expensive. Cook it eat what you can then freeze into meal portions.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    If you are lucky enough to have an H-Mart nearby, go check it out. It's an Asian grocery chain. I regularly buy a whole pork shoulder there (skin on, about 9 lbs) and slow-cook it in my oven. Yields about six or seven pounds of very tasty meat and costs less than $2/lb.

Add dried beans to your mix too. Lentils are very easy to digest and a great source of carbs and protein and cost next to nothing. Same with black beans/pinto beans/etc.

Canned beans are cheap, dried beans are DIRT cheap.

Then take that pork and some beans and make a big pot of chili or lentil and sausage stew and freeze portions for your meals. I just froze nine portions of lentil/sausage stew last night. The whole pot probably cost me $20-$25 in terms of what went in.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    About once a month I will buy a turkey, not too expensive. Cook it eat what you can then freeze into meal portions.

Great idea. Also about $1/lb.

To be super cheap, use the carcass, bones and gristle to make turkey stock and use that as a base for soups and chili.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Check the meat section for the items about to hit the sell by date and are sold at a reduced price. Great way to have filet for flank price.
  • gvdoliver
    Guys great replies, thanks very much! Today is pay day so I'll be off to the frozen section and the Asian market!! Lentils will be the new addition!

Yeah the mistake I have mae is to focus all on the protein and also not invest some time in preparing meals, which like said if I do I can ditch the protein bars!!

Bring on the organisation and muscle!!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Target cheap, calorically dense foods.

Staples of mine include eggs, rice, oats, milk, potatoes and offal. Offal. Is. Awesome. Seriously - Cheapest source of protein I've found.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Help!

Rice, pasta and beans are pretty cheap and stop wasting money on protein bars if you're on a budget

Ground beef is pretty cheap as well, get 80/20

Yes, try beef you lunatic.
  • gvdoliver
    beef it is (or horse meat depending on where I get it from!!)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    If you are in the UK buying poultry, you can get diced or whole thigh fillets. These tend to be cheaper as people buying poultry are usually after the lower calorie cuts, which you obviously aren't.

Double check your frozen price per kilo, you're not always getting the best deal compared to cheap fresh.