Weights question (noob at weights, please forgive me!)

Options
So I've been at my gym for over a year now, and I've been using the, I wanna say weight machines, I have no idea what they're actually called. You sit on them, select the weight, and then do the exercise.

Only, what do the numbers represent? I was given a very shoddy introduction, shown how to use the weights safely, and that was it.
For example, when I do bicep curls, I have them on 10 and do 3 sets of 10.
When I do vertical traction pulls, I have them on 30 and do 3 sets.
When I do lower back extensions I have them on 40 and do 3 sets.

Do the numbers represent a weight? Or a resistance? Because I have no idea what I'm actually lifting right now.

Replies

• geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Those are likely the weights, in pounds. Occasionally you'll come across machines that are numbered 1-15 or 1-30, where each number is a multiple of 10 pounds. But those types of machines are in the minority. Consider the numbers you select to be the weight in pounds and you'll be good to go.
  • pilarter
    Options
    ok I will use this track to make a question myself: if I do my belly dance routine with 2.5kg dumbells in each hip, is this cardio, or strengh training for my abs?
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Your profile doesn't say where you live. It might be in KG depending on what your country uses
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for a new induction at your gym, the numbers could be weight (lbs or kg) or positions (seat positions etc) depending on the machine. Ask them to show you how each works and a set of exercise to do on each machine. Or just use free weights - a lot simpler!
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for a new induction at your gym, the numbers could be weight (lbs or kg) or positions (seat positions etc) depending on the machine. Ask them to show you how each works and a set of exercise to do on each machine. Or just use free weights - a lot simpler!

I'm actually quitting this gym and getting all my own stuff and putting it in the shed at the bottom of my garden.
    I've got some hand weights, and a few home exercise workout systems. With the money I will save from my gym membership, I can get my own free weights within 2 months.

My gym has gone downhill in the last 8 months or so, shortly after joining. Everything we liked about it when we joined got phased out, the classes we did got cut down to twice a week, the floor in the studios wasn't washed for weeks on end, making it stinky and when it got hot in there, the floor was slippery, nothing worked, lights in the studio were broken, the instructor mic never worked, the speakers for the music would just cut out to a point one instructor started bringing her own in, they've removed the sauna, and jacuzzi, they've also relocated the spin bikes to another site, there is no junior or 'larger people' gym (machines with larger seats etc).
    I only stuck with it so long because I was worried about the emotional effect it would have if I left (I use exercise to balance my hormones and moods)