calling all christian females

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "You are the light of the world." - Matthew 5:14

You can't be the light of the world only accepting other Christians as your friends. You must be accepting of non-believers as well. I am extremely grateful that Jesus did not have this attitude towards others, if He did, you and me would not be able to be Christians.

I'm pretty sure wanting like-minded workout pals isn't what was being discussed in that verse.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate and support your privilege to have friends of whatever socioereligious group you choose, I take offense to your idea that all men here would want to flirt with you.

"I am making my friends an all female zone. the reason for this is because I am a single mom who is focusing on losing weight and I didn't come here to date or get hit on. this is not a dating site. I do not accept male frend requests!!"

Imagine if someone here proclaimed that they would flatly refuse all female requests because women are just gold digging sluts. I can't imagine it would sit well with the community. Nor should it. However, misandry is just as bad as misogyny; there no place for either one in a modern and mature society.

While I wish you all the best in your weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals, please keep your sexist comments to yourself.

I have to agree, as a married man to a beautiful and loving wife, the last thing I would want to do is flirt with you. I have plenty of female friends on here, and I don't flirt with any of them.
  • deemedpriceless
    deemedpriceless Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Christian female but in my middle 30s!
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    "You are the light of the world." - Matthew 5:14

You can't be the light of the world only accepting other Christians as your friends. You must be accepting of non-believers as well. I am extremely grateful that Jesus did not have this attitude towards others, if He did, you and me would not be able to be Christians.

I'm pretty sure wanting like-minded workout pals isn't what was being discussed in that verse.

I'm pretty sure ALL areas of life is what's being discussed in this verse.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You are free to associate with anyone you choose for any reasons but the typical conversation on this site is"Wow, I lost 2 pounds doing Zumba". As a practicing Catholic, I don't really see how religion enters into this.

I agree. I am an atheist - wonder how a post asking ONLY atheists to add me would go over? Being so exclusionary and closed minded is one of the main reasons I am atheist! :)

Ditto this.
    I am a Christian but well over 30 (as are both my daughters). But honestly we are probably not on the same page for more reasons than age, as my Christian values are a little more old fashioned I think. I would never post the underwear pic, for example.
    Pretty sure that's not her. You both might get along, though, because you both seem a bit judgy.

Also ditto this.

Faith really doesn't come into weight loss, diet or fitness. Neither does your sex.

Eh, my faith has played a major role in my weight loss and fitness, so that's definitely subjective to the individual. However, I agree this is not the best way to get friend requests.

If you don't mind me asking and feel free to not answer but I would be interested to know how?
    I can honestly say my atheism has not once played a role in my diet or fitness.
  • khall86790
    Options
    While I appreciate and support your privilege to have friends of whatever socioereligious group you choose, I take offense to your idea that all men here would want to flirt with you.

"I am making my friends an all female zone. the reason for this is because I am a single mom who is focusing on losing weight and I didn't come here to date or get hit on. this is not a dating site. I do not accept male frend requests!!"

Imagine if someone here proclaimed that they would flatly refuse all female requests because women are just gold digging sluts. I can't imagine it would sit well with the community. Nor should it. However, misandry is just as bad as misogyny; there no place for either one in a modern and mature society.

While I wish you all the best in your weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals, please keep your sexist comments to yourself.

Agreed!
    If this was said in reverse about women people all over the boards would be going nuts about it.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hard core Christian Biker here.. married 21 faithful years and father of 2 teens....
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    You are free to associate with anyone you choose for any reasons but the typical conversation on this site is"Wow, I lost 2 pounds doing Zumba". As a practicing Catholic, I don't really see how religion enters into this.

I agree. I am an atheist - wonder how a post asking ONLY atheists to add me would go over? Being so exclusionary and closed minded is one of the main reasons I am atheist! :)

Ditto this.
    I am a Christian but well over 30 (as are both my daughters). But honestly we are probably not on the same page for more reasons than age, as my Christian values are a little more old fashioned I think. I would never post the underwear pic, for example.
    Pretty sure that's not her. You both might get along, though, because you both seem a bit judgy.

Also ditto this.

Faith really doesn't come into weight loss, diet or fitness. Neither does your sex.

Eh, my faith has played a major role in my weight loss and fitness, so that's definitely subjective to the individual. However, I agree this is not the best way to get friend requests.

If you don't mind me asking and feel free to not answer but I would be interested to know how?

Sure, I definitely don't mind answering. As a pastor, I have felt that my weight and my eating habits were effecting my witness as a pastor and as a Christian. My finances, my family, and all other areas of my life were straight, but I was literally killing myself with food. The Bible calls our bodies the temple of the Holy Spirit, and I was destroying my temple. Therefore, I knew I needed to make a change. If I want to be the best witness that I can be, that also includes being healthy. :D
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options
    Ditto - I'm out of your age range but Christian. Feel free to friend me!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

That was Josh's quote, but I feel the same way, so I'll reply as well. My faith defines who I am and everything I do. Weight loss is a struggle for me, so as with all struggles I have in life, I pray about it.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Poor Holofernes.

judith_beheading_holofernes_by_caravaggio1.jpg?w=300
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options

Ditto this.

Also ditto this.

My faith is a huge help in my weight loss goals. It helps keep me focused on what is important, and what I am on this journey for. We are living examples of God, he asks us to take the best care of our bodies as possible. Reading certain verses, praying, and staying focused really helps me in my everyday food choices, my grocery store choices, and when I *think* I'm hungry but really just bored, a few quick verses in my Bible help me get back on track. I really don't know what I would do without my faith!
  • khall86790
    Options

Ditto this.

Also ditto this.

Sure, I definitely don't mind answering. As a pastor, I have felt that my weight and my eating habits were effecting my witness as a pastor and as a Christian. My finances, my family, and all other areas of my life were straight, but I was literally killing myself with food. The Bible calls our bodies the temple of the Holy Spirit, and I was destroying my temple. Therefore, I knew I needed to make a change. If I want to be the best witness that I can be, that also includes being healthy. :D

Ok, I can understand that. I suppose it is different as an atheist because we do not have "beliefs"/tools the same way Christianity does that would motivate us in that way.
    Thanks for the insight into it!

And to the other two people who quoted my post and responded, I did read it but this quote is getting a little lengthy now so I don't want to go ahead and post 2 more times with it. But thanks for your honest responses, it's interesting to see how your faith can play a part and although I can't relate, I can understand.

However, the OP's views that they only want Christian friends seems all wrong to me as surely if you have your faith as a motivator then it shouldn't be a problem that the people are you motivate you through a different "channel"?

E.g. Get off your fat *kitten* and get on that treadmill.
    Put down the cream cake.
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options
    Christian all day over here! Speak in tongues slain in the Holy Spirit. But I'm over 40 :-) Feel free to add me, anyone can add me, I don't discriminate cause we're all in this together.
  • JoshuaL86
    Options

Ditto this.

Also ditto this.

Ok, I can understand that. I suppose it is different as an atheist because we do not have "beliefs"/tools the same way Christianity does that would motivate us in that way.
    Thanks for the insight into it!

No problem! :D
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Ditto this.

Also ditto this.

As a pastor , how can you engage in this kind of debate against someone you don't know? Do we know her background, do we now her experiences, or even her past "sins"? Maybe she decided that she wants to stay away from men for a reason that it is only hers. Maybe she feels more comfortable with females. Who knows, but who are we to judge or feel offended for not being considered as part of her preferences?
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you mean by "Chirstian lens", but yes, I did read her profile and didn't see any comments about men in general. Just her thoughts on male stalkers. It is not talk or perfection that makes one a Christian, it is belief. And with that belief should come a desire to live as Christ instructed. It's easy to say you are a Christian. But Christian humans are just as fallible as any other humans. Striving to do right doesn't magically make one perfect.

"Do not be too quick to condemn the man who no longer believes in God, for it is perhaps your own coldness and avarice, your mediocrity, materialism, and selfishness that have killed his faith"- Thomas Merton
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this thread will be locked soon.
  • JoshuaL86
    Options

Ditto this.

Also ditto this.

As a pastor , how can you engage in this kind of debate against someone you don't know? Do we know her background, do we now her experiences, or even her past "sins"? Maybe she decided that she wants to stay away from men for a reason that it is only hers. Maybe she feels more comfortable with females. Who knows, but who are we to judge or feel offended for not being considered as part of her preferences?

Lol, I was only kidding about being offended.
This discussion has been closed.