Tips to increase my fat intake

2»

Replies

• Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    This is like a license to eat cheese. REAL cheese not diet cheese...*shudder*

Low fat cheese is the devil.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    You don't need to fry things to use olive oil. In fact, olive oil is at it's best when it's not cooked. Cooking breaks down its most potent nutrients. Make dressings with it, drizzle it on fresh bread, or tomatoes and vegetables or even on sweet fruits.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Cheese and bacon! Yum!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Cheese, avocado, peanut butter, flax seed, olive oil, *REAL* butter, whole milk, full fat yogurt, bacon, bacon, and some more bacon.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Oh and real butter :-)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    This is like a license to eat cheese. REAL cheese not diet cheese...*shudder*

Ah! This is another thing I should have mentioned...I'm not a huge fan of cheese. I've never really eaten it or wanted to eat it. I will eat it but its just one of those things I'm not overly keen on. I will try some different varieties though and hopefully find some I like!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    From reviewing my recent food diaries I've noticed that my fat intake is always very low (I think this is partly due to eating lots of fruit and vegetables and partly due to not knowing what to eat to increase it!). I'd like to increase my fat intake for a couple of health reasons (not to a really high number...but to a reasonable and healthy amount).

I can be a bit fussy so it would be good if you could please give me suggestions that don't include - nuts, avocado, peanut butter. I rarely fry things so olive oil doesn't get added too much.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Cook foods in butter, coconut oil or render yourself some good, old fashioned beef tallow.

Make salad dressings from olive oil and some raw apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and italian seasonings.

Use coconut milk in recipes, eat full fat yogurt, sour cream, etc. (I don't know if you consume dairy or not)
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    I see from your diet you eat fish. I would eat more cold water higher fat choices- fresh salmon comes to mind.

Saturated fats get a bad rap. I believe (others will disagree) that you need some saturated fats- (bacon, steak, whole milk, etc). Do you eat bacon, sausage or ham? If you don't eat red meats and avoid the lactose in milk, add a little butter to your food. Great taste and it will give you the small amount of saturated fat I believe you need.

The mono saturated fats (olive oil) are easy- just add olive oil to your tuna salad.

Good luck. I wish I had this problem.
  • kingofcrunk
    I love salmon so I'll definitely add that. I've been eating 0% fage yoghurts so obviously I'll now increase to the full fat version. I'm not really that big on cheese or dairy so that's not an option for me.

I can eat more eggs - I enjoy eggs! I do eat red meats but quite rarely. I love steak so obviously happy to have more of that. I don't really enjoy bacon or hams/salami's that much.

I don't like butter but I will have to try all these oils I'm being suggested - thanks for those suggestions!

Thanks so far everyone :)
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Olive oil isn't for frying --- put a tablespoon into soups, onto salads.

Coconut oil in herb tea.

Thick cream on your fruit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    Olive oil isn't for frying --- put a tablespoon into soups, onto salads.

Coconut oil in herb tea.

Thick cream on your fruit.
    Maybe in North American, but Italians,French, Spanish all love to cook with olive oil. Unfiltered extra virgin olive oils should be consumed cold, but it's perfectly fine to cook with olive oil. I wouldn't use high heat like when cooking a steak but for most applications it fine.
  • kingofcrunk
    Nigella Lawson LOVES to cook with olive oil.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Sorry, I just meant that there are better oils with a higher smoke point to use for frying than olive oil, and olive oil is so lovely other ways its a shame to use it for frying. Also, depending what you are frying and the type of olive oil you use, the flavour of the oil can clash or overpower the flavour of the food.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Not so lean meats and use butter on some veggies or use it on toast. That will definitely raise the fat fast.

Drink homo milk instead of Skim, 1% or 2% and that would raise it too. Eat an egg every couple of days (I hear 2-3 a week is a good amount for eggs), oily fish will be higher in fat as well and very good for you.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    From reviewing my recent food diaries I've noticed that my fat intake is always very low (I think this is partly due to eating lots of fruit and vegetables and partly due to not knowing what to eat to increase it!). I'd like to increase my fat intake for a couple of health reasons (not to a really high number...but to a reasonable and healthy amount).

I can be a bit fussy so it would be good if you could please give me suggestions that don't include - nuts, avocado, peanut butter. I rarely fry things so olive oil doesn't get added too much.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Coconut! Coconut oil (for cooking) or coconut milk in your coffee is an easy one. Also, olives. And there's always bacon! (pastured organic without the nitrates/nitrites is best).
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    I agree with most of the above. Include cold water, wild caught fish like salmon. Try to avoid the farm raised as most are fed with corn and not the best source of omega 3 fatty acids. Many have mentioned butter. Use real butter (not the fake stuff) or coconut oil to cook with and add to salad dressings. Nuts like almonds are also a good source.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Fat my passion in life is fat! I love fat so much!

Sorry off on my little tangent.

Are you allergic to nuts? Can you try the nut oils on a salad from sunflower, walnut, sesame (might be a bit strong), macadamian..mmmmm

Like lots have said full fat dairy, fatty meats bacon and sausage!

I'm a fan of canola oil. Nice omega-3 profile and can handle high heat.

Start sauteeing the vegetables in oil or butter.

Add margarine or butter with some sort of sweetner put it in a sauce pan and throw in some fruit instant fruit compote.

If you really want to go balls to the wall make some tortillas or pie crusts with real lard!