Deadlifts - Smith machine or dumbbells? (no barbell)

Options
Hey guys,

I tried searching the forums but couldn't come up with anything. I just started NROL4W on Monday, and I also joined a Planet Fitness that same day. Before you say OMG WHY DID YOU DO THAT, I'll tell you that I really wanted to get started with lifting and I am moving in a few months (I don't know to where yet) so I needed a no-contract gym. PF does not have barbells.

I did fine on Monday using the Smith machine for squats, but tonight I have to do deadlifts and I'm not sure if those can even be done on a Smith and if dumbbells would be the better of the two. Any insight would be helpful!

Replies

• farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A smith machine does not allow your body to move in natural planes. You are forced to go along with the motion the machine provides you.

Squats and deadlifts can be performed with dumbbells and in my opinion (FWIW), dumbbells are a Much better alternative to the smith machine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    A smith machine does not allow your body to move in natural planes. You are forced to go along with the motion the machine provides you.

Squats and deadlifts can be performed with dumbbells and in my opinion (FWIW), dumbbells are a Much better alternative to the smith machine.

I agree. Use dumbells and avoid the smith machine.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

For both lifts!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are tough for deadlifts, because getting a dumbbell heavy enough to tax you in the deadlift is going to be very hard to do. Do them if you can, I guess, but I would look into other exercises that work the same muscle groups. Leg curls, glute-ham raises, etc.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    Dumbbells are tough for deadlifts, because getting a dumbbell heavy enough to tax you in the deadlift is going to be very hard to do. Do them if you can, I guess, but I would look into other exercises that work the same muscle groups. Leg curls, glute-ham raises, etc.

There is no substitute for deadlifts (except maybe squats). GHR, leg curls- don't even come close.

For a beginner, DB deads will work fine. It'll take a while before you exhaust the DB rack's limits. Grip would be more of an issue, but there are wrist straps that can help with that, but as you progress in weight, your grip will improve too.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    steer clear of the smith machine for all workouts.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

There is no substitute for deadlifts (except maybe squats). GHR, leg curls- don't even come close.

For a beginner, DB deads will work fine. It'll take a while before you exhaust the DB rack's limits. Grip would be more of an issue, but there are wrist straps that can help with that, but as you progress in weight, your grip will improve too.

Squats as a substitute for deadlifts..?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Dumbells are better
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like dumbbell deads and I substitute them in sometimes for an additional workout. The reason I like them is because they make you have to control your balance a lot more and use your core too. Another thought is you can try one legged deadlifts with dumbbells. You can use less weight and they are hard!

Sidenote: I am truly shocked a huge franchise like Planet Fitness wouldn't have barbells...are you sure about that? That is so lame if that's the case!
  • danimalkeys
    Options

Squats as a substitute for deadlifts..?

In as much as it is a full body compound lift, yes. Much better than any machine lift.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Use the dumbbells...however, don't be shocked when you completely outrun them. The average dumbbells I see kicking around max out around 150 or so. 300 lbs. isn't exactly heavy for anyone who's even remotely serious about deadlifting.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    Use the dumbbells...however, don't be shocked when you completely outrun them. The average dumbbells I see kicking around max out around 150 or so. 300 lbs. isn't exactly heavy for anyone who's even remotely serious about deadlifting.

True it's not heavy but I'd think a 150lb per hand deadlift would equate to a pretty good barbell lift, just on the grip strength requirement alone.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

True it's not heavy but I'd think a 150lb per hand deadlift would equate to a pretty good barbell lift, just on the grip strength requirement alone.

No doubt about that. It will be very good for getting a base established for when one can move on to a barbell. That being said, don't expect Identical carryover from DBs to a bar. Trap bars are similar. It's just completely different no matter what you do. For example, I can pull over 500 with a trap bar, with no straps easily. However, put 455 on a barbell, and it's slipping right out of my hands for some damned reason, even with a pronated grip.
  • danimalkeys
    Options

No doubt about that. It will be very good for getting a base established for when one can move on to a barbell. That being said, don't expect Identical carryover from DBs to a bar. Trap bars are similar. It's just completely different no matter what you do. For example, I can pull over 500 with a trap bar, with no straps easily. However, put 455 on a barbell, and it's slipping right out of my hands for some damned reason, even with a pronated grip.
    Try some static holds in the rack. Set the bar so you don't have to pick it up real far, just a couple inches so the bar clears the rails, and hold it as long as you can. Increase the weight since you'll be able to pick up a lot more from that height. Do you use chalk? That helps a lot too. The only thing I ever used straps for was shrugs, because I wanted a double overhand grip on those. Any deadlifts, including rack lockouts where I was using alot more weight than I could pick up from the ground, I always used a pronated grip and chalk.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Try some static holds in the rack. Set the bar so you don't have to pick it up real far, just a couple inches so the bar clears the rails, and hold it as long as you can. Increase the weight since you'll be able to pick up a lot more from that height. Do you use chalk? That helps a lot too. The only thing I ever used straps for was shrugs, because I wanted a double overhand grip on those. Any deadlifts, including rack lockouts where I was using alot more weight than I could pick up from the ground, I always used a pronated grip and chalk.

I haven't used chalk thus far, as the Gold's I am a member at are seething vaginas when it comes to chalk use. I've heard that I could probably get away with using liquid chalk though, so I'll be trying that out in the near future. Sweaty hands and an oily barbell aren't exactly conducive to a good grip, or even a halfassed hook grip. ^_^
  • DostThouEven
    Options

For both lifts!

Yes
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

except inverted rows.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Use the Smith machine if you don't have a spotter. If the paramedics get in the way of my workout, I'm going to be pissed.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Use the Smith machine if you don't have a spotter. If the paramedics get in the way of my workout, I'm going to be pissed.

You need a spotter for deadlift?