Realistic Goal?

Hi all i have just started using mfp last month. My starting weight was 200lbs and i am now at 187lbs. I was hoping to make 130lbs by the end of June. Is this goal realistic or am i putting 2 much pressure on myself?

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    60 lbs in 4 months = unrealistic. That's more than 3 lbs per week. Deficits that large would be setting you up for failure IMO. 20-30 lbs is a good goal for late June. 60 lbs is a good goal for January.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Congratulations first of all! Secondly, I will say that that is very rapid and probably not something to "expect" to keep happening for the next 3 or 4 months... You can do anything you set your mind to but at the same time thats almost 60 pounds in 4 months. Dont put yourself in an unhealthy position.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    I PERSONALLY would think that 57 lbs in that space of time is quite a lot as you will find that the loss speed slows down dramatically the smaller you get. I just know if it were me and I felt like I wasn't reaching the goals I set myself then I would feel like a failure; whereas each lb should actually be a success.

Saying that if it works for you then go for it!! Good luck! :smile: Vx
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    There are 17 weeks (starting Monday, 3/4) between now and the end of June. That would mean you would need to lose 3.3 lbs. per week. Considering an "average, healthy" weight loss is about 1 lb per week, that might be a bit too ambitious.

But, I think you could probably do 20 lbs with no problem!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,851 Member
    Hi all i have just started using mfp last month. My starting weight was 200lbs and i am now at 187lbs. I was hoping to make 130lbs by the end of June. Is this goal realistic or am i putting 2 much pressure on myself?

Wow!!! 13lbs in a month!?? You're doing fantastic... I think based on your progress thus far and with possible fluctuations, slowing and/or stalls in progress you could be in the low to high 150s by the end of june depending on the amount of effort you put in. Of course this is just my opinion. Of course if you continue to lose 13lbs a month you will surely be in the 130s perhaps not at 130 but in the 130s by the end of June. Again you are doing awesome, so keep up the great work!! :drinker:
  • darcey9101
    darcey9101 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks everyone. I will just carry on what i am doing then and not think about reaching the goal in that amount of time. I will just be happy with what i do lose in that space of time :)
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Typically, I would say it is unrealistic, however, you are 22. When I was 22, weight would fly off me just by not drinking, exercising and watching my calories. So, although it may not be that much, I think you could do an average of 10lbs a month and not starve yourself. Still, take your time if you can.
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    I think it's a bit unrealistic also, but I set unrealistic goals for myself all the time!!!

I think you should keep 130 in mind as your ultimate goal weight, but set mini-goals in the interim. Here's a group I've joined to keep me motivated and still setting goals...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12361-lose-9lbs-4kgs-by-easter
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Your loss will slow the closer you get to your goal. It took me a bit over a year to lose 40 pounds. The first 20 were easy, but the rest took time, effort, and patience.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Olost 50 pounds in 8 months. I was doing tons of cardio and eating only 1200 calories. A year later I have gained over half of it back.

I suggest that you plan on eating a healthy amount, a good exercise routine and losing slow for success.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Your loss will slow the closer you get to your goal. It took me a bit over a year to lose 40 pounds. The first 20 were easy, but the rest took time, effort, and patience.

Agreed.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    As others have said that is a lot of weight to lose in 4 months. You are doing so well I would hate to see the thought of not reaching an unrealistic goal set you back in your progress. Maybe you could set some smaller in-between goals. Are you strength training at all? You can lose inches along with the lbs if you are and although you might not weigh 130 when June rolls around you might look like you do just from toning up :)

I hate putting the pressure of a number on myself anyway. I have goals to fit in certain clothes and to just feel good about the way I look. Whether that means I am 150 (my current goal) or 130 is irrelevant. I will know when I get there.
  • darcey9101
    Thanks for the advice. I don't want to go through losing all this weight and then put it all back on. I have also been told by my doctor i have a low metabolism as they found i have pcos last year. I am eating around 1200 calories a day occasionally i will go over. I pick sensible things to fill me up so i don't feel hungry. Is 1200 calories a day ok? I am not currently doing strength training only cardio. What would you suggest?
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    I agree with not wanting to put it back on. I have been doing @1200 myself I do give myself at least one day every week or two to go over but honestly it has been getting harder and harder to eat more.

I do cardio 4-5 days a week and strength training 4 days a week (upper, lower, none, upper lower) always resting my muscles 48 hours before doing that part again. I just read a post today that suggested this strength training workout:

http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/

It looks pretty good and is similar to what I have been doing at the gym. If you have a Wii I love EA Sports. It is mostly circuit training so you get the cardio and light strength training and toning all at the same time.

I have been losing a pretty steady 2lbs a week so I figure I must be doing something right :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    I agree with what's been said. It's too much too quickly. I'm 141 now and would like to get to 130 by the end of the summer.
  • darcey9101
    Thanks for the link. I will deffo use :-)
  • Hi,
    I would aim to just lose... it dnt matter what you lose by then as long as it's comin off :)