Starting college in the fall...Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have two kids in college right now. They attend different universities and have both said the meals are good and there is no excuse not to eat healthy. One is picky and she loves the food. Both fit time in to exercise and carry way more credits than needed and do other time consuming activities..They said too many kids their age sleep instead of taking advantage of the time they have. Enjoy, because it goes by way too fast. I commuted so my college experience was different. I think the key is to not make excuses for any reason and put your health first. Good luck to you in your new adventure :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1) What is college life like?
    It's what you make of it. Get involved with groups (sororities, clubs, community service activities). Don't neglect your studies, don't procrastinate, and don't think you are the only person who has 3 exams this week (as a college instructor, this excuse leaves me feeling zero pity for my students).

2) How do I avoid the "freshman 15"?
    If on a dining plan: Avoid fried foods, carb heavy options, and eating pizza everyday. Be sure to have protein with every meal (meat unless your vegetarian). If commuting: pack a lunch, don't rely on campus food options. Be active: join an intramural sport, pick up a gym routine, take the stairs instead of the elevator.

3) Tips on getting in shape BEFORE college?
    Develop a reasonable calorie deficit plan (TDEE-10% or so) and exercise regularly. If you are looking into a fitness career, I suggest you start lifting heavy and getting nice and ripped (like it or not that is what people expect out of trainers). Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts 5x5 if you are new to lifting.

4) How can I make friends and find like-minded people?
    To find people with similar interests partake in activities you are interested in. Like basketball? Look for a rec league. Looking for community service or religious minded people, there are groups and sororities based on such things. There will be activity fairs at the beginning of the semester where people are recruiting for their groups, check them out and attend a few different meetings. Don't pick too many, though, or your academics will suffer. Dorm-mates and classmates are also potential friends, be outgoing and introduce yourself to anyone and everyone.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I didn't live on campus my first year. I stayed with my parents.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.... that's different. I'm SO INVOLVED on campus now. Married, no kids.

The biggest thing I think is to be involved. Make friends! You must get yourself in some clubs, find a campus job, and go to events/sports games. Everything else will fall in place. Take advantage of location as well. It's so awesome to be so close to everything and a 3-4 minute walk to class! Plus you have a better time meeting up with others and not missing out on anything.

For working out you should have a gym at your school if its a big enough campus. Sign up for some gym classes... aerobics, spinning, volley ball, swimming, golf, karate, yoga ect ect and go every week. They even have weight lifting classes. And my gym has regular gym classes you can just show up to and participate in. You'll make friends that are healthy that way.

Be smart about your food choices. I don't eat the junk or have a meal plan here, I just buy my own groceries and make my own meal plans. I have a lot more spending money and leeway then most students do though so it really depends on how much you can afford. I find it cheaper then the meal plans on campus though.

Enjoy your time learning and exploring... it goes so fast and it's seriously the funnest time of your life before you work that full time job and slave away paying lots of bills!
  • Papalov100
    Papalov100 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I Agree 100% .College life is good and bad. Your final on your own and making your own decisions. If you lived with your parents before you don't have them watching over you and preparing your meals if they did that before. College is a time to explore and find yourself.

With the freshman 15 find out what is allowed in your dorm, if you are staying in a dorm. Like a microwave, fridge, stove etc. I would avoid the dining halls. Most dorms don't have stoves so that resorts to the dining halls because its easy to go me grab something. The dining halls at my college had buffets, Asian food, pizza, fried foods, ice cream, bakeries. Not many wealthy choices. We did have a healthy place that served salads. I would always eat there.

Then comes the parties. Alcohol is high in calories and will make you gain weight quickly.

The best thing to do is to make healthy choices. Are you buying a dining plan? Or just eating on your own. Do your research on the college website they should say more about the dining halls and what they serve.

Just because your going to college don't stop doing what your doing workout wise and eating healthy.

Th freshman 15 is brought on by the easy go to food and junk food and fast food. Don't fall under temptation.

As for friends, make friends in your classes. If they have the same major as you, you will be seeing them a lot throughout the year. Because you will all be having the same classes.

Also College life is not fun it is hard im a
    freshman at FTCC and i dont hve friends yet so it takes time to make friends . You will make them in class and out of class .
    Im not good at giving advice but it is going to be stressful im stressing as it is in my class so make sure your ready for that.