Runners who used to be seriously unfit - how did you do it?

Options

Replies

• flamingo68
    Options
    I finished the C25k last year. I couldn't run a full minute without gasping for air at first. You just need to slow down. You can do it! Have fun!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I did c25k a few years ago it was really tough going. I made myself do it outside round the local field/dog walking park.
    The first few weeks were particularly tough,
    I made myself a sticker chart for 10 weeks, aimed for 3 runs a week and gave myself a non-food related treat if I had 3 stars at the end of the week.
    Sounds really childish I know but it really did help to motivate me!!
    Also after a few weeks I realised how much I had progressed by how many times I had made it round the park as I was running more and walking less.
    Keep trying!!
    I also planned a 5k charity run for a few weeks after i was due to finish the plan to keep me focused.
    good luck!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Another thing on the subject of technique;

If it's your legs that are giving in first, as ludicrous as it may sound you might want to actually try upping your pace. When I first started out I was doing 8-9kph on the treadmill and in a lot of pain a lot of the time. Turns out I have tendons far too short for my legs, and when I'm in that 7-9kph zone of slightly above a power walk but not quite a proper run it absolutely destroyed my tendons. As soon as I upped it to 10kph and higher, even though I was out of breath sooner I was able to run further and get fewer injuries. I'm aware that in this respect I'm probably just a freak, but it's just a thought.
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're beating me. I keeled over week one day 3. Decided to waittil I'd lost a bit more. The bad news is I now have lost a bit more and its getting to be spring so I may need to start again soon.

Keep at it. Do what they are all advising on slowing down and getting rest days in and see how you get on. ANd I'll let you know how I do (after my holidays :))
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Slow down...the most annoying running advice ever but also the most accurate. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. If you can't you are running too fast. Speed will come.

As you keep at it, it will get easier.

This is the advice that was given to me during week 1 of C25K. Once I slowed down, the process became much easier. I am now in week 3 and although I was nervous of my first 3 minute run, it was no problem. I use the Get running app on my iphone. Its a great tool. Good luck!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    i've heard 'zombies, run' is great for outdoors - i don't have an iphone and my ipos's the old style so i can't get it.

That app is fantastic! I love it.

That does it - I'm definitely going to have to buy it. Think it might give me the motivation I need!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Because I so want to run. I started NHS C25k but just did not get on with it and over the course of about 6 weeks managed to get to week 3 :ohwell: . I am now back on the treadmill alternating between running for 1 min or so then walking to recover and gradually increasing my running until I can run for 30 minutes. But I find it so hard.

I really, really want to run - there is something that appeals to me about being able to go for long solitary runs - but I just don't seem to have the power/stamina to run for longer than 1 or 2 minutes before feeling like I want to collapse. I am also doing moderate strength training, particularly focussing on legs.

I was wondering mainly from runners who started off being seriously unfit like me - how did you do it? How long did it take? Am I doing something wrong?

PS: Treadmill is set at 9.0 to 9.5 km per hour for my running and 5.0 km per hour for my walking.

I used to be a runner, so that helps..but I really let myself and my fitness go to hell in a hand basket the last 10+ years or so. Honestly, I just had to start out walking...one foot in front of the other. I started with that 3x weekly 2 miles...then 5x weekly 2 miles...then I started incorporating some running in there. At first it was just once per week and I'd do an interval...jog for 1 minute steady pace and then walk for 1.5 minutes...so on and so forth for 30 minutes. I also incorporated a jogging day where I'd jog at a steady pace as much as I could and just walk the rest...started at 1 mile...once I could jog an entire mile I upped it to 1.5...then to 2...2.5...3 and so on.

Currently, I can run about 3 miles non-stop...at only about 4.5 miles per hour. I started running again in December and took a couple weeks off during the holidays, so I've been overall happy with my progress...but it is low re-gaining my fitness.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i've heard 'zombies, run' is great for outdoors - i don't have an iphone and my ipos's the old style so i can't get it.

That app is fantastic! I love it.

That does it - I'm definitely going to have to buy it. Think it might give me the motivation I need!

Can there be a Zombies Run! group? :love:
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    Wow you guys! Thanks so much for all this advice. I shall read and re-read. It looks like I need to SLOW DOWN! Perhaps I am trying to go too fast too soon. For those that say try it outside - I will in the spring - it is far too cold and here in the UK for me to go galloping around in the great outdoors :tongue:
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    You can run for 30 minutes nonstop? :frown: I wish that I could. So, did you really go from running for 1 minutes to running for 30 minutes in 3 wks or did I misread that?

You misread it. I can only run for around 1 - 1.5 minutes now. I do walk/run alternately for up to 30 minutes. I wish I could run for 30 minutes though :wink:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys! Thanks so much for all this advice. I shall read and re-read. It looks like I need to SLOW DOWN! Perhaps I am trying to go too fast too soon. For those that say try it outside - I will in the spring - it is far too cold and here in the UK for me to go galloping around in the great outdoors :tongue:

You're most welcome! I'm going to bookmark this thread and re-read it when I need a boost.

I live Oop North and can only get out during daylight hours at this time of year - with a base layer, hoodie, waterproof jacket, hat and gloves. I've even got long socks that go under my running tights. I even ran in the snow with a set of YakTrax (they go on your shoes to stop you slipping). But once it gets dark it's just too cold!
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    Honestly? I wouldn't run on the treadmill. I found it to be the most unhelpful tool to get me from no running to running (with tendinitis in my ankle in between). Go outside and run somewhere if you can. You get the impression of actually going somewhere and I, for some reason, find myself running a lot faster outside than inside. Plus you can change your speed on a whim rather than having to wait for the machine to catch up to you. I also think it's a lot easier on your joints. If you need to know how fast you're going, use GPS with either a watch or a smart phone app. So that's my 2 cents.

You are probably right - plus the treadmill gets very boring. Just that it is soooooo cold outside.... I'm a wimp, I know, I know!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I tried to jog at 258 pounds and ended up with plantar faciitis. I waited till I lost 40 pounds to try again but did loads of speed walking and hill climbs during that recovery time. When I started running again, I ran in intervals and then power walked. Each week, I would add a bit more time to my running. I've been running intervals for about 3 months and can now run a distance of 10km in 1:22 which averages me at about 4.9 mph, just under 9kph.

It takes a lot of conditioning to run and like the others have said, you need to slow down to a pace you can handle for a longer distance.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add, I enjoy running on my treadmill, it's there when I can't get out and it does help in conditioning you to run and can be very useful.

I run at 5 and add 5 1 min intervals at 6mph. I set my incline at 1 or 2.

It's also awesome for hill climbs.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    You like the idea of long solitary runs outside...so why are you pounding the treadmill in a hot stale gym?

Get outside and just run. Slow down (as already said!) but juts do it. I went out, did 10mins, came home. Did that a couple of times until I felt comfortable with my breathing and the 10mins, then tried 15mins Same again, two or three runs at that, make sure it's comfortable, then up it to 20 mins.

Now I do 45mins to 1 hr once a week, and 20-30mins 3-4 times a week.

Just get outside and run!

Yes you are so right - and thanks for the great advice - I like the idea of just doing 10 or 15 mins then coming home. My plans for outdoor running are probably too grandiose for my abilities - I see myself running to the park, round the park then back home. I know I can't do that so I stick to the treadmill. Even running round my block non-stop would be an achievement for me.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    Thanks for bumping, there is just so much to read on here - lots of fantastic advice!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I could have written this myself, the thoughts are so familiar. I've been struggling so much and keep saying I'm going to stop trying to run and just increase my walking speed until I drop more weight.

I'll be back to read through the responses!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I just ran.