Protein Powder??

Options
Can anyone refer me to a protein powder? I looking for something that will not taste gross and not to expensive. I am having a hard time getting protein in and thought maybe is should try it out. Also any tips on what to mix with would be great. Any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple, and my favorite is still Cytosport Muscle Milk. It is my post workout snack. Its not low calorie, so if you are looking for a low calorie shake, mine aren't for you. They fit fine in my daily calories though. I use the Chocolate, mix it with milk and a frozen banana. I also use Vanilla and mix it with Milk and Frozen Strawberries. They are yummy.
  • sdempsey1985
    Options
    I use Whey Protein Chocolate. I mix it with Skim Milk, and a tad bit of Peanut Butter for extra protein. Tastes great

You can get a tub of it at walmart for about $ 16.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/13274590?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    I'm actually a big fan of this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=eas+100%+whey&rh=i:aps,k:eas+100%+whey

EAS 100% Whey. It mixes really well (not clumpy at all) and the chocolate tastes great with just water. It also has a good amount of BCAAs and Glutamine for recovery.

Optimum Nutrition is widely thought to be the best protein but is on the pricey side. Also the taste of ON is debatable. I still have about 2lbs left of the Double Rich Chocolate flavor.

Walmart carries a decent cheap powder called Body Fortress which also mixes very well, but I have read reports that the quality of the stuff is not very good. I do have a few tubs of it and I have liked it for the most part.
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use that stuff too :) I like to either mix it with skim milk or with greek yogurt and water.
    It's cheap, tasty and filling!!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I like the Dymatize Elite Gourmet stuff, particularly the Strawberries and Cream. That line is a whey and casein blend, 120-125 calories per scoop and 20-22g protein depending on the flavor. AND it isn't gross. Price-wise, it's on par with everything else out there.

I usually mix just ~1/4 of almond milk with the powder, then blend the f**k out of it with 2 servings of mixed frozen fruit (any brand, Dole, local grocer's brand, whatever) to make a nice sorbet texture. Nom nom. 280-ish calorie snack that's just like ice cream but healthy? HELLZ YEAH!
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I currently like EAS 100% Whey - Chocolate.... I used to use Ultramet Low Carb - Chocolate too. Both taste good mixed with water.
  • EileenB42
    EileenB42 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would like to suggest what I use. Jay Robb's protein powder. www.jayrobb.com it is a little on the expensive side but i believe the best out there. I use the pina colada flavor. I use 1 cup fat free milk, one scoop of the powder, one sliced banana and a dash of vanilla extract, i also use a number of ice cubes its very good and worth the extra money in my opinion.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've had Muscle Milk Light (taste not so good, Syntha-6 Strawberry Milkshake (DELICIOUS), and Muscle Pharm Combat Powder Chocolate Peanut butter (DELCIOUS). ON will likely be cheapest per serving. I'd caution you about anything from a store from Walmart as they can fake the nutritional contents and the protein in it maybe not actually be as much as they say. Brand are just not reputable.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Scivation chocolate fever with a cup of almond milk and a scoop of peanut butter is amazing and over 30 grams of protein in one serving!!! Taste like dessert.
  • jordanhuber
    jordanhuber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hated protein powder when I first had it. I use body fortress from wal mart. I tried it with water, milk, chocolate milk I hated it all. Then one day I made it as like you would hot coco with hot water and that was tolorable now I have it every morning in black coffee and after a work out sometimes with hot water! Its the only way I can stand it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Aria Women's Vanilla Whey protein. I get it at the grocery store with the natural foods, 2 scoops are only 90 calories and it is delicious with a banana and a cup of almond milk! Low calorie and low carb!
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    Boom
    736211051479.jpg
    You won't find anything better
  • kae2one0
    kae2one0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i have tried 5 so far...

Whey protein from Walmart.. would not recommend
    Vi-Shape.. taste like cream comes with mix in flavor packs.. ok
    Atkins Advantage.. another ok one
    Muscle Milk.. pretty good

but favorite so far is Slim Fast Strawberry protein powder mix

of course i'm only recommending based on taste
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Boom
    736211051479.jpg

I have been reading about this this morning,. Think I will give it a shot.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey Double Chocolate is my favorite. I mix a scoop with skim milk for a quick protein drink. Most often though, I mix 1/2 scoop with 2/3 or 3/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt and 1tbsp all natural peanut butter - I absolutely love this!!!! And it is very filling! I also like to mix 1/2 scoop with my oatmeal for some added protein.

I also like the Designer Whey Vanilla Almond mixed with 1c skim milk and tbsp canned pumpkin. Mix right in a shaker cup, no need for a blender. Delish!
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    Boom
    736211051479.jpg

I have been reading about this this morning,. Think I will give it a shot.

I highly recommend it. I have gotten most the people at my box hooked on this stuff because it works well, has an amazing stack in it, and it taste 100% better than any other brands. So far I have had the Cookies and Cream, Orange Cream, and Vanilla. Last night I ordered the Banana Cream and the Chocolate/Peanut Butter... very excited about getting them in. You won't be disappointed. (You can order from either Bodybuilding.com or ProSource.net)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I tried Pure Protein whey protein in Frosty Chocolate from Walmart and it was disgusting. I couldn't stomach it. It was $20.

I just bought Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein in Delicious Strawberry from GNC and it's SO much better per a few people's recommendations to me. 120 cals for a rounded scoop and it has 24g of protein, which is exactly what I was looking for. I mix it in a Blender Bottle with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I have a shake 3X per week right after lifting. It's normally pretty expensive ($46.99 at my GNC) but I got it when it was on sale for $29.99.

Edited for spelling
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For post work out I use optimum nutrition Hydrowhey
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm not very well-versed in protein powder, but I got Biochem Raw Foods and Whey vanilla protein and it's pretty good. It was cheap too, I ordered it from Amazon.
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Costco has Cytosport (makers of muscle milk) Vanilla Whey Protein that is pretty good stuff and cheap.