TDEE & MFP settings question

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Scooby's calculator includes exercise in your activity level, so you don't eat back your exercise calories. When you manually override your MFP settings, the activity level makes no difference.

So if set my goal @1495 and exercise 500 still eat 1495?

if you included it in the TDEE level, you do not eat it back.
    If you did not include it in the TDEE level, you do eat it back.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    those were made up numbers - I didn't have the numbers in front of me because I was on my IPod
    the actual Numbers are
    BMR - 1335
    TDEE - 2070
    Daily calories based on #6 - 1656
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    MFP put my calories at less than my BMR, by almost 200 calories. Granted, I have a lot of weight to lose, but I thought that was an unsustainable level for me. Instead, I use TDEE-20% based on sedentary activity level and I eat back about 75% of my exercise calories. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and I'm down just over 5 pounds, which is exactly the weight loss rate I was going for. I plan to recalculate my numbers every 15 pounds lost.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Can someone comment on why we cannot just use the guided calculations on MFP? Seems to me many people go to other websites to get their numbers and then manually input it on this site. Why?

I can speak for myself only. I had my BMR tested at a hospital and mine was much lower than what MFP standard say, so I do custom, and eat back half my excercise cals sometimes all :-)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    those were made up numbers - I didn't have the numbers in front of me because I was on my IPod
    the actual Numbers are
    BMR - 1335
    TDEE - 2070

According to your ticker you have ~15 lbs left to lose. I would recommend a 10% cut from TDEE. So set your MFP to calorie intake 1863 and do not eat back exercise calories.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, I did not mean to hijack your thread.

To add some insight, I was losing a lot of weight but then hit a plateau. I upped my intake by 200 calories mostly coming from fats and protein and today the weight loss restarted. Dont know if its for real because I cant believe that one day of eating more would move the needle but thats what the machine says.
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    the actual Numbers are
    BMR - 1335
    TDEE - 2070

According to your ticker you have ~15 lbs left to lose. I would recommend a 10% cut from TDEE. So set your MFP to calorie intake 1863 and do not eat back exercise calories.

Thank you - that is WHAT I was looking for :) an answer
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    Sorry OP, I did not mean to hijack your thread.

To add some insight, I was losing a lot of weight but then hit a plateau. I upped my intake by 200 calories mostly coming from fats and protein and today the weight loss restarted. Dont know if its for real because I cant believe that one day of eating more would move the needle but thats what the machine says.

Not a problem - I understand that asking questions is how we all learn!