Your coming out story

Options
MartialPanda
MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
Since I have seen a serious lack in LGBTQ folk on this site i figure this is a kinda fun way to come out and talk about some stuff initially. Yeah coming out stories!

Mine is a little sad but eh whatever. I'm in sophomore in college and I was kinda dating/hooking up (the whole damn thing was super confusing) a girl and the other night i took her out to a really nice dinner and she surprised me with balloons and a stuffed panda bear (my favorite animal) where we were being ourselves. I like showing my affection and hate hiding. The next day i get a call from my father saying that we need to speak. You know.......when you know someone knows. Yeah that feeling happened. So i proceeded to freak out for the next 30 minutes until my dad showed up and i went to sit in the car. He just turns to me and says....."is there anything you want to say?" and because i'm trying to keep my calm....................i said no. Then basically proceeded to tell me that someone had TOLD HIM. This turned into a massive fight. The next few months were a small slice of hell. The best part about the whole thing they never told me who told them about the girl i was dating.....and they never have. In one way it was relief because I didn't have to say anything in another way it was extreme anger because that was my thing. No one else's. It was my story to tell. I am a bisexual and i'm proud to say it.

eh it's sad but whatever. Tell me yours!

Replies

• sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My story is pretty short. I was at friend's house in high school and her mom walked in on us at a relatively inopportune time. My mom handled it okay- I think she only managed because after we talked about it, and I explained that I am bisexual, she could hold out hope that I'd eventually still find a nice guy to settle down with. My dad didn't know for years, and when he did find out, I was already married to my first husband, so he didn't find it necessary to comment really.
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    bump
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Before certain ppl decide that this lovely thread is divisive and they start hitting the report button like you're setting their house on fire, i will let you know that there is a great LGBTQ+ group on this site

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/22-lgbt

feel free to come join.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't have one because I'm straight, but I'll share my sister's :)

I was 16, she was 15. My best friend in high school was an out and proud lesbian, and we were all playing basketball together. I was driving me and my sis home and she told me that she was also a lesbian. I looked at her (funny, because it had been obvious to me for years), and she freaked out, "don't stare at me, keep driving". I stopped the car, laughed, hugged her, told her that since she had always had crushes on our female teenage babysitters, not to mention fitting every other stereotype out there, I already knew.

My sister is my favorite person on the planet, and I went to her wedding in 2007, when she married MY BEST FRIEND! Yep, same one from 20 years ago! They now have a baby boy and are a perfect family, in every sense of the word.
  • primrosehill
    primrosehill Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Before certain ppl decide that this lovely thread is divisive and they start hitting the report button like you're setting their house on fire, i will let you know that there is a great LGBTQ+ group on this site

feel free to come join.

Straight person really hoping this thread doesn't get reported - are people really that awful? Sadly, the answer is probably yes.

I read this because my youngest son said to me today, 'I don't know if I'm gay yet or not, Mummy, but I do hope they change the law and let men marry men and ladies marry ladies because love is just love and it's really important' - and I was super-proud!!

Some of your stories may be sad, and some may be happy, but I sincerely hope you all experience joy in whatever relationships you forge.

Loads of love
    xx
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm not gay but Johnny Depp is hot
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I read this because my youngest son said to me today, 'I don't know if I'm gay yet or not, Mummy, but I do hope they change the law and let men marry men and ladies marry ladies because love is just love and it's really important' - and I was super-proud!!

Aw. Your kid is awesome!

Straight person here as well, but my best friend is gay, and I can tell you what happened when he told me -- I was the first person he came out to after his mother.

We were in college, and sitting in the parlor of his dorm. He told me that he had an arguement with his mom over the weekend. He had told her that he was gay, and she had freaked out.
    My reply was "Haha, very funny. Seriously, what was the fight about?"

It took some convincing for me to believe that he was gay. In my defense, we had known each other for years, he dated my best friend off and on for a while (although I found out that he was never actually into it, he was just "trying to be straight") and he DOES have a history of playing pranks on people. Finally when he convinced me, I was like "Oh. Okay. So you wanna go get something to eat?"

He stared at me like I had grown two heads. Apparently, he had been worried that I was going to freak out too (even though he knew that I don't have any issues with Lgbtq folks).
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    Holy Crap thats so freaking cute. I love it. My heart melted nbd.
    I don't have one because I'm straight, but I'll share my sister's :)

I was 16, she was 15. My best friend in high school was an out and proud lesbian, and we were all playing basketball together. I was driving me and my sis home and she told me that she was also a lesbian. I looked at her (funny, because it had been obvious to me for years), and she freaked out, "don't stare at me, keep driving". I stopped the car, laughed, hugged her, told her that since she had always had crushes on our female teenage babysitters, not to mention fitting every other stereotype out there, I already knew.

My sister is my favorite person on the planet, and I went to her wedding in 2007, when she married MY BEST FRIEND! Yep, same one from 20 years ago! They now have a baby boy and are a perfect family, in every sense of the word.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

feel free to come join.

Straight person really hoping this thread doesn't get reported - are people really that awful? Sadly, the answer is probably yes.

Some of your stories may be sad, and some may be happy, but I sincerely hope you all experience joy in whatever relationships you forge.

Loads of love
    xx

you're doing it right. you should be proud of yourself and of your lil man.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Pretty boring.

I was 19, in college but living with parents, when I cornered my parents one Saturday morning at breakfast and told them. Mom had suspected, and Dad was clueless. I later got a stern talking to by my older sister for not telling her first. No problems really.

They were actually much more concerned when I told them I was changing majors.
  • kinlowd
    Options
    Truly I was thrown out of the closet. My sister was snooping in my bedroom and found some "questionable material" I forgot I owned. She told my mom. Mom asked me. I admitted it. We then talked about the weather. The sad part is I lived with more rejection in high school and from other family members (truly everyone knew because I just wasn't interested in talking about girls and had no appreciation for their attributes). But in the end, it all worked out fine.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I'm straight but wondering what the Q stands for? I googled and it only shows LGBT.
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    I always think bi sexual s are just greedy:)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm straight but wondering what the Q stands for? I googled and it only shows LGBT.

Q stands for Queer. There's a significant segment of the community has a problem labeling themselves using any of the other letters, but they recognize that they don't fit under the hetero-normative category either. So "queer" tends to be a generic term used for that purpose.

EDIT: some people also use it to mean questioning.