Dinner Calorie Count

Has anyone else had issues calculating your dinner calorie intake on a meal you have made from scratch? There are a few meals I have made at home that I'm not sure how to track my calorie intake. Has anyone else had this issue? If so any tips or advice would be great.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Use the recipe function.
  • cavmary63
    cavmary63 Posts: 1 Member
    I use the recipe function. It is nice, I only wish I could add the whole recipe (instructions, cook times etc) and then I would just use that when I am cooking.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    The recipe function is great.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    I use the recipe function. It is nice, I only wish I could add the whole recipe (instructions, cook times etc) and then I would just use that when I am cooking.

You can do that. If you press the "yes" button when it says would you like to submit to the MFP database it gives you the ability to do all that :smile:
  • I have used the recipe function...it worked well and then I could save that recipe to use again. I cook almost all of my meals from scratch so I know the challenge well.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I use the recipe function and if it's a big batch of something, I pour it into a big tupperware bowl to measure the number of cups in it, then divide it by the portion size I want to eat. It's kind of a pita but once it's in my recipe database, I don't have to measure it again.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    I check each individual ingredient for calories etc, then add them together and put it into my foods. If I can't find the nutrition info for one of the ingredients, I use the add calories, but of course that is a guess. It seems to work for me most of the time.
  • I have thought of using the recipe function but if you don't know the calorie amount for the portion size do you just make it up or guess?
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    with the recipie function I weigh the total amount of .. say, ground beef that I am adding (as well as any other ingredients). If it's not something that I can very easily figure out the portion to (like hamburgers) I will weigh the total dish after it's been cooked, (making sure to weight the pot or dish first, so I can subtract that amount), and then put x amount on my plate.