Is it too soon to do a half marathon?

I was a runner in high school but I only did 5Ks. Then 7 years went by and I started running again last March (so I've been running about a year).

At first I planned on doing only 5Ks, but I started to do longer races, I did 5 mile races and trained for a 10K in October.

This year I was planning on doing a 10 mile race April 27, a half marathon at the end of May, and a full Marathon in October. But something came up and I can't do the half at the end of May.

My question is, if I do a half on April 7, do you think that's too early? My long runs right now are up to 9 miles. I think I can do it, I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Bump
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    No. You're already doing 9. Six weeks of training to add an extra four miles on should be perfectly fine. Go for it.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    You should be fine. You have time for 2 10's and 2 12's, plus a taper,
  • nrf111
    nrf111 Posts: 23 Member
    Heck no! If you can run eight or more without feeling like you are going to die, then you can run 13. I got out of running for a while and did a half within 6 months of starting back up after 2 years without running. It was tough, but I finished. The next half (another 6 months later) I cut 30 minutes off my time from the first one. I never even ran a full 13 before the first or between the two. I did a few longer runs (10 miles), but nothing crazy. Good luck! You can definitely do it!
  • I'm training for a half on 4/7 right now and last week's long run with my training team was 9 miles. This week's is 10. You can do it!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    You are perfectly set up for your half. Find a training program and jump in at the week after the 9 mile run.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    I ran a half last summer and never did over 10 miles in training....maybe 11 but I had at least 3 weeks of 10 miles and didn't have a single problem during the race. You'll be Just fine! :-)
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Have you done only ONE 9 mile run or do you regularly do aprox 9 miles at a time? I'm doing a half april 7th and i've done a 9+ mile run every saturday this month (11 miles last weekend!), if you are doing consistant long runs I'd say go for it :)
    On the other hand last year I did TWO halfs in June and did not have nearly enough long runs under my belt and ended up with tendon issues from over use and under training. This year I'm clocking a lot more miles and a lot more long runs.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    go ahead and do it! i'm doing a half on april 7th also
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Anyone here doing the San Fran Rock n Roll half April 7th? thats where I'll be :)
  • Saabster1
    Saabster1 Posts: 4 Member
    You will probably be okay. A couple of questions: What was your weekly mileage for the past months? How many times a week did you run and for how long? It is good to have a "base" to build up on and then add long runs before the race. I also suggest an internet search about half marathon training and full marathons to get some additional advice from experienced runners.
    Good luck and have fun. I still remember my first half and full marathons. You will be thrilled by the accomplishment when you cross the finish line.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I think you can! I started running in March of last year, ran 2 5k's that month, a 5 mile race in April, and a 10K in May. Then, I broke a small bone in my foot Memorial day weekend (end of May), and couldn't run again until the beginning of August. I ran a half marathon in October. I trained for 12 weeks exactly. It was tough, some runs were brutal! But, if you are up to 9 miles now, you can add 4 miles by the end of April. Just add 1/2 mile to your long run each week. You should "peak" at 11- 12 miles 2 weeks before your race according to all the training plans I looked at.
    Best of luck!! Half marathons are so much fun!! Just make sure not to put too much pressure on yourself for time. Have fun! My goal was to finish in 2 1/2 hours, since I averaged a 10-10:30 mile pace. I finished in 2 hours and 17 minutes. :-)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Thanks I have only done one 9 mile run once, but I've done 3 8 mile runs, I did 8, 5, 6, 7, 8, 4, 6, 7, 8. I usually do a tempo run per week alternating weeks with interval training and other shorter runs throughout the week. So I think I can do it, I just needed some people to say so.