Just started an experiment

Options
I have been mildly obese for the last few years (Male 5'10 220lb) and I recently decided to attempt some significant weight loss. I am trying to get down to 180lb by July 4th. The method I am attempting is by just walking and eating better. I have set up a standing desk at my treadmill and am attempting to walk at a pace of 3-4mph for about 4-6 hours a day. THis allows me to keep up with my internet use and watch movies and TV on my laptop while "working out" instead of just sitting in a chair like I have been for the last 7 years. Has anyone here tried anything like this or heard of anyone with successful weight loss from mainly just LOTS of moderate paced walking?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think the approach is a good idea. If I could watch tv while walking that'd be great. But 4-6 hours a day is burnout city. Aim for an hour, maybe hour and a half, and then build from there.

Walking is great exercise, so you're doing absolutely good there.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It comes down to calories in/calories out. Eating"better" is a pretty loose term. I can eat way too many calories of "good" food and gain weight so you need to crunch some numbers rather than walk and eat better. Also walking 4 to 6 hours a day is going to be something your body becomes really efficient at after a bit of time and your calorie burns will drop. You'll need to mix up your exercise with some other cardio and some strength training to get results.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    I think a better thing to do would be to do a full body resistance training routine (i prefer barbells) and eat at a deficit of 15-20%
  • claytonmccord
    claytonmccord Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been walking now for about a week at my original target of about 13 miles per day and have lost about 6lb already. As someone who used to do a LOT of bicycling (60+ miles a day) my legs can definitely maintain a pace of 3.5mph for multiple hours. I started this attempt after reading a Neal Stephenson book (Reamde) where one of the perepheral characters dropped a whole lot of weight by using a walking desk 10-12 hours a day. I know that story was fiction but it sounded like such a great idea that I just had to try it. I am currently in my second hour of walking for the day as I type this reply. :)