Question about overdoing exercise

Options
So I just started the 30 Day Shred Monday(2/25). I love it and am feeling a difference already (although I know it's all in my head!) My question is.....

My thighs are killing me to the point that it's hard to walk. I know that it's a good thing, but I don't want to over do it. I wouldn't mind doing day 3 today but I just don't want to have some kind of muscle injury. Plus I don't know if I will be able to do the squats correctly. Should I continue on or should I give it a day's break? Any advice and input on this would be AWESOME!!!

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    this early in the game, it may be a good idea to take one (only ONE) day off to let yourself heal a little. either that or do an easier routine than you were planning, and then get back on track on thursday.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good to know that you are getting that good of a workout in so soon.

I plan to start tonight after work, usually I work out in the early morning. However, big snow storm kept me from the hour drive to the gym and back before work so I have to do it later. Providng my family doesn't decide they need something first!

I am anxious of my gym activities make it easier to get through her workout or not.

:wink:
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You may need to back off to let muscles heal for a day or so. I came down hard on my heel Monday, and am limping. Will just work on other areas as it recovers.
  • mhooge
    mhooge Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Biggest Loser At Home Challenge for a few days now and I had to take Saturday off because I could barely move my legs. Ouch but in a good way! :)
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have to ask are you stretching afterwards? It's always good to do a cool down stretch afterwards, not sure how the dvd operates that you have but it's always a good thing. I've notice the difference between when i workout "hard" and I do not stretch afterwards compared to the nights that I "go hard" and I stretch afterwards. Also if it's hurting to the point where you are compromising good form and technique than a wise thing to do is probably give it 24 hours. I've had similar soreness and I've done both workout through the soreness and give it a days break. I noticed that with the break the soreness dimished quicker, however it didn't get to the point where I physically couldn't operate. Never compromise technique and form you'll risk injury and if your that fatigued then you may need a day break and like someone else said not more than a day. :smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to take a rest day!

However, that doesn't mean bed rest - you can get some mild exercise, like going for a walk.
  • amye004
    Options
    In my experience, when I push my body too hard, it usually pushes back, in the form of a visit to the hospital and a month off. Please listen to your body. If it hurts to walk, there is no harm in resting for a day. Pushing through it, can increase your risk for permanent damage and long term time off.

I also highly recommend a foam roller to get the knots out in addition to stretching.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bumpped bump bump bump!!!