Over exercising

Options
I have a concern about my other half who is a postman. He runs his round (6 day rotation with a day off in the week and Sunday by default) and that takes him approximately 3-4 hours daily. His calorie intake is approximately 2500 and he has a very strong lean frame although not skinny - 5ft 8 and 11st at present (winter weight so slightly lower). He's ex military and an exercise enthusiast by nature and enjoys playing football every Sunday morning with training on a Tuesday evening.

However, quite often now he seems to sweat excessively at night (needing clean pj's and bed linen etc). Does anyone else ever get this and have you found a way to avoid it - obviously his posty work comes first for our income but he is reluctant to slow down and shrugs it off whenever I've mentioned it previously.

Replies

• Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Should probably point out that I am wondering if he is over exercising - not that I know that he is, or even if it is possible to do that?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If he is used to it, not getting injured and not run down, then he isn't overdoing it. As a matter of fact, you only mention two evenings of exercise, so it sounds like he has plenty of time to recover. The rounds are clearly a customer activity for him.

Further, I have never heard of over training causing night sweats. He may want to talk to his doctor about that.
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The night sweats can be caused by anything from medications to diseases (cancer, HIV, etc). If it is something that came on all of a sudden I would consider really pushing the idea of a physical at his Dr.'s office.

It could also have something to do with his age. I wouldn't freak out or anything about the above (diseases etc). It may be something very simple that can be treated easily.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of over exercising giving someone the night sweats. Perhaps he should see a doctor, something much more serious might be wrong.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The night sweats can be caused by anything from medications to diseases (cancer, HIV, etc). If it is something that came on all of a sudden I would consider really pushing the idea of a physical at his Dr.'s office.

It could also have something to do with his age. I wouldn't freak out or anything about the above (diseases etc). It may be something very simple that can be treated easily.

i was gonig to say sounds like night sweats as well....you might want to have him checked out by DR...
  • Lottiehill29
    Lottiehill29 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It sounds like Hyperthyroidsim.
    My husband was exactly the same.
    He goes to the gym most nights and easily eats 5000 calories as he does purely weight training.
    He's 6ft 1 and weighs 14stone - majority of which is pure muscle.
    He is trying to gain weight to bulk up but he seems to have reached a standstill.
    But lately he has been sweating an awful lot during the night to the point where the bed sheets etc are soaked through.
    He always has to be doing something and seems to be quite irritable.
    But he gets tired easily and is always hot - to the point where you can feel the heat radiating from him.
    He's been checked for diabetes and the usual and they came back fine.
    I read up on a condition called Hyperthyroidism and his symptoms pretty much cover the whole lot.
    Sent him to the doctor, they did a blood test and it came back as Hyperthyroidism.
    That could be the same for your other half too. Worth getting him checked out just in case.

Take a look at this website and the list of symptoms and if you feel he has a fair few of those, then it would definitely be worth getting him checked out. It is easily controlled with medication.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001396/
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We have agreed to monitor the sweats in his diary. He has no other symptoms and his cold seems to be clearing too finally. After a really hard couple of weeks at work and playing really well at football (man of the match again!) it seems that he had just over done it and desperately needed to rest the muscles. We will keep an eye on it and go to the doctors if things persist... l really value your perspectives though and thank you for your guidance.