What housework has to do with waistlines article

Options
In a nutshell, the study states that by spending less energy on cooking and cleaning, and more energy in front of a computer or on the phone, the average person staying at home today burns 150-350 calories less a day than the average person in the 1960s. Over months and years this adds up to a lot!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/what-housework-has-to-do-with-waistlines/

Replies

• Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I believe it! Maybe I'll stop putting off so much housework now. Hidden calorie burn beckons.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the day when I, too, can be paid to do studies to point out the obvious. Sigh. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the day when I, too, can be paid to do studies to point out the obvious. Sigh. :)

Sadly, according to the modern train of thought, the obvious is just 'bro science' until there is a study backing it up. :wink:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Sadly, according to the modern train of thought, the obvious is just 'bro science' until there is a study backing it up. :wink:
    So true!

This article is great...the 12 most obvious science findings of 2012 (includes "Calling Ambulances Saves Lives")

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=12-obvious-science-findings
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hire a maid...use that time saved each week for some real workout time.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My house is a mess because I spend more time working out than cleaning. So for me having a messy house is helping my waistline.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there's a correlation between weight and cleanliness of a home...?

I say this because my old roommate was at least 100lbs heavier then me but she was also 2x as messy as me. :P
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I don't know.
    The stay at home moms I know are heavier then moms that also work outside the house.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I say this because my old roommate was at least 100lbs heavier then me but she was also 2x as messy as me. :P

I have actually found that I can tell a lot about a person's living space by looking at two things: their weight, and the inside of their car.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I see where you're coming from, but can you cite something peer reviewed?
  • penrbrown
    Options

I have actually found that I can tell a lot about a person's living space by looking at two things: their weight, and the inside of their car.

I'm overweight but my home is quite clean. So is my car. :P

So I realize that I destroy my own hypothesis. Heheheheheh.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

Meh. I weigh 100lbs more than I need to and both my house and car are kept clean. What's that say?
  • penrbrown
    Options

Meh. I weigh 100lbs more than I need to and both my house and car are kept clean. What's that say?

Stop ruining the hypothesis! :P
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

Stop ruining the hypothesis! :P

My apologies. I can be the outlier if it makes it better. :tongue:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I like that it calls attention to the 'little things add up' factor. 150 calories doesn't seem like much, until you realize that is 1 pound a month!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My house is a lot of work to clean! So I believe it.