Chewing Gum

Options
My pack of gum says that it contains 5 calories per 2 piece (3gram) serving. Since I am watching calories and trying to lose weight, what is the longest I can chew the 2 pieces of gum without comsuming the 5 calories? For example, if I just use it to freshen my breathe and then get rid of it within a few minutes, can I track it as less calories consumed than 5? What if I accidentally swallow it? Is that more calories or is that just 5? I am so confused. Please help.

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It does not contain more calories if you swallow it but it can stick to the ribs and cause bloat!
  • Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's just gum, if you're using it to prevent yourself from pigging out on other stuff you're fine.

If you're really THAT concerned over 5 calories, do 20 jumping jacks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you could burn five calories just by vigorously picking your nose for a few minutes.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Beer counts as water right??
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Unless you spit the whole thing out within seconds of chewing....and don't swallow any of it (including the saliva you chewed it in), you'll probably have to log the 5 cals.
    I'm pretty stingy with my cals, but even for me 5 cals means nothing! ;)
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you could burn five calories just by vigorously picking your nose for a few minutes.

:flowerforyou:
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I chew gum all the time since I quit smoking two years ago. Unfortunately the calories are consumed within the first minute when you get that flavor burst. You would have to put the piece in your mouth, not chew it, and spit it out along with any saliva for it not to count. That kind of defeats the point of chewing the gum lol. Log the 5 cals and just try to chew it longer so you don't need a new piece. I find Trident Layers gum lasts longer than most and I have tried a lot of different brands!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I chew a pack a day should I push harder when taking a poop?
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 5 calories!
  • Heyymandyy
    Options
    apparently you burn 11 calories by chewing gum for an hour.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Beer counts as water right??

Oh please God someone confirm this!!!! I would be the happiest girl on MFP!!!
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I just fell out of my chair and pissed myself laughing!!!!!!
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I just fell out of my chair and pissed myself laughing!!!!!!

then you burned 10 calories, plus lost some water weight!! Good job!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I find humor that a guy who ate 3 large pieces of pizza and some cheesecake for lunch today is worried about 5 calories in a stick of gum.

But I'm sick like that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It does not contain more calories if you swallow it but it can stick to the ribs and cause bloat!
    LOL! And it can delete all your files from your hard drive, and it will drink directly out of your milk carton and randomly change contact numbers on your cell phone.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but...really? Chewing gum? Your diet and weight loss will not be stalled by chewing gum unless you are eating 40 pieces a day, in which case I will call you Violet Beauregarde. Not really though, wasn't she working on the same one for months? Either way, don't sweat the gum. pay more attention to the other stuff you are eating.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i read on the internet that a guy had a six pack and went from a 32inch waist to a 42 inch waist just by eating 2 sticks of gum. there could be 2 morals to this story. either i am joking and never worry about 5 cals from gum or gum is the devil and never chew it.
  • dispatchbug
    dispatchbug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd log the 5 calories and if you only get 3, it is a couple extra calories to the good. I log everything with a little extra - if I estimate it is a piece of chicken breast close to 1-1/2 packs of cards (4.5 oz), I'd log it as 5oz. It gives me a little extra towards the bottom line.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You're worried about 5 calories??!!

Wow.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have chewing gum all the time and helps me stop snacking (I know I could just take it out and put it back in). My sugar free gum is just 1.5 calories each and generally make each bit last about an hour.