Jogging and loosing weight.

Options
Hello! I want to start jogging and obviously I am going to be tracking food and eating right, but in regards to jogging...has it helped a lot of you to lose weight? I know exercising is good, but I wanted to know what kind of results you are seeing with incorporating jogging to your routine.

Replies

• Effulgence
    Effulgence Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging in the fall but I had to cut back a bit cause winter in New York is hell. But, to answer your question, jogging is an excellent and easy way to burn those calories. Plus I noticed almost immediate fantastic results in my butt.
  • Heitor71
    Heitor71 Posts: 224
    Options
    Yes. I begun (resumed) in July 2012 with barely a mile a day. By late October I was running 25 miles a week and had lost more than 30lbs. I stopped in December because I stopped losing weight and the winter in NYC has been brutal. In January i begun my first attempt at bulking and it all has gone alright. Starting next week I will get back to running but not as much. So, if you can, run! However, include weight lifting too. Good luck!!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight with running in the past. Make sure you start out slow. I followed the C25K program, it's where a lot of people start. I agree with lifting weight along with running, it will improve your running and help you lose more weight.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    Same here with the winter hells! Have to stick to cardio machines for now, as I'm in New England and the snow will NOT give us a break. sigh.
  • AndreaMerrill
    AndreaMerrill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for warmer weather to get back to jogging! It helped me a ton to tone and loose weight. It's New England weather right now so I'm stuck indoors.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Running definitely engages the glutes. Just grab your but and take a few walking strides, then run. You can feel it immediately.

If you are starting I suggest Couch To 5k (C25k.com) as it is a great program for beginners and is aimed at a race in nine weeks. Having that goal is a huge motivating factor. I'm on week 6 right now and am really enjoying it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No exercise is any better than another for weight loss. However you want to burn calories it all comes down to the same thing. Running will build your cardio endurance, give you killer calves, tighten up ab muscles and get you out in the fresh air but a calorie burned is a calorie burned regardless of how you achieve it.
  • dliz908
    dliz908 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started Week 2 of the Couch to 5k yesterday...my husband thinks I will see more results when I start running more. Hoping that's the case! The last time I lost a significant amount of weight was a few years ago when I lost about 20lbs - I am just NOW hitting my starting point from that time period (ya that's right, lost 20 and gained 45...sigh) Anyways, I didn't run then at all - i did strength training and some tabata type cardio. This time around I have been doing walking on the treadmill and strength training (and a bit of that tabata stuff too). I am hoping that by adding in jogging I will be able to keep up the progress I have made since Christmas. I saw this month's loss was significantly lower than January, so whatever I can do to step it up! I am so slow, I am almost worried its a waste of time, but I have hope :)
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    One thing that will immediately help. Stop calling it jogging and call it running. This small distinction can make a difference in your confidence. Say it; "I'm a runner" "I run". There are no rules saying reaching a certain speed is not running. Then have a planned gradual approach and listen to your body, hydrate, warm up, stretch afterwards, make sure you have the best shoes for you, etc.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It can. The thing about distance running is you need to fuel your runs. I know many a half marathon/full marathon runner who either maintains or actually gains weight during the training process.

You have to be sure not to use those long runs as a license to eat (i'm guilty, I admit it)

I generally will lose 3-5 pounds during a 12 week half marathon training program.

Good luck and enjoy. Running is awesome.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    One thing that will immediately help. Stop calling it jogging and call it running. This small distinction can make a difference in your confidence. Say it; "I'm a runner" "I run". There are no rules saying reaching a certain speed is not running. Then have a planned gradual approach and listen to your body, hydrate, warm up, stretch afterwards, make sure you have the best shoes for you, etc.
    \

I like this! Great post. you should be the official motivational speaker for MFP.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to be in the minority but I found that every time I started running, it slowed down my weightloss. I still ost weight just not as fast. I don't think this is the norm. I am well aware that running for an hour will burn more Calories than walking for an hour. What I think happened is that I am heavy enough that running put a real pounding on my body and that I really really really needed the rest days to recover. As a result, I was burning fewer total Calories in a week. If I walk for an hour I am fine walking an hour the next day. If I run for an hour, I need to take it easy the next day.

I will say though that I love running, still do it and can't wait for all this crappy weather to pass.
  • hea33441
    Options
    Thank-you! You made me laugh and I think you are right! I will start doing that! :happy:
  • hea33441
    Options

Thank-you! You made me laugh and I think you are right! I will start doing that! :happy:
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to be in the minority but I found that every time I started running, it slowed down my weightloss. I still ost weight just not as fast. I don't think this is the norm. I am well aware that running for an hour will burn more Calories than walking for an hour. What I think happened is that I am heavy enough that running put a real pounding on my body and that I really really really needed the rest days to recover. As a result, I was burning fewer total Calories in a week. If I walk for an hour I am fine walking an hour the next day. If I run for an hour, I need to take it easy the next day.

I will say though that I love running, still do it and can't wait for all this crappy weather to pass.

Actually you bring up an excellent point. Running will definitely raise your appetite. Sometimes the increase in appetite does not dovetail with your actually running calories burned. This usually is during your 'ramping up' stage when you are building up mileage endurance. Once that settles and you are then increasing pace the appetite will tame to an easier to manage level. It takes much much more eating discipline for me but the gains I get from running regularly are worth the price of admission. Extra fiber helps a lot. I recently had to take a 3 week running hiatus due to my mother-in-law being in the hospital. I was actually astonished how easy it was to stick to my calorie goals. But, when I'm not running I don't sleep as well, feel flabby and generally have a lower energy level just to name a few. When I"m running I feel "tight", more fitness conscious, more confident, sleep like a rock and have more than enough energy that i could sell some to the power company.