HONEY,....Good or Bad?

Options
I stopped having Sugar in my Tea & Coffee ages ago, but now use Splenda or Clear Honey.
I know Splenda is a bit "iffy" as it's an artificial sweetener - but i only have that once a day with my morning Coffee.
On the other hand, i have 1 teaspoon of Honey with my Fruit Teas (on average, 4/5 times a day).
What's the deal with Honey,...is it Good or Bad?

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I stopped having Sugar in my Tea & Coffee ages ago, but now use Splenda or Clear Honey.
    I know Splenda is a bit "iffy" as it's an artificial sweetener - but i only have that once a day with my morning Coffee.
    On the other hand, i have 1 teaspoon of Honey with my Fruit Teas (on average, 4/5 times a day).
    What's the deal with Honey,...is it Good or Bad?

GOOGLE it!!!!! but to make it easy... go here::::::::::::::::::::::: http://realfoodforlife.com/health-benefits-of-honey/

Just good.. just good...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor bad...it's just sugar. Too much sugar can be bad, but sugar in and of itself isn't evil. From a calorie standpoint, it's fairly empty (i.e. pretty much void of any nutritional value)...but honey is delicious.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    real honey is good, processed sugar dyed to look like honey is not.

my uncle has a bee farm (is that what they're called? or a hive? colony? idk) and sends me that honey. delicious.

additionally, if you eat local honey, your body may be better protected against seasonal allergies.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/266247-benefits-of-local-raw-honey/
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    It's got a lot of sugar but so long as you're not diabetic and it fits in your calorie goal I'd keep using it. Also give stevia and agave a try :)
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are better than processed sugars any day. If you have the room in your diary for it and its not putting you way over on sugars I see aboslutely nothing wrong with it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

my uncle has a bee farm (is that what they're called? or a hive? colony? idk) and sends me that honey. delicious.

additionally, if you eat local honey, your body may be better protected against seasonal allergies.

Aviary is the word you were looking for.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Neither splenda, nor honey, nor cane sugar are "bad" or "iffy".
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

^ This. Pretty much all foods have some level of nutritional value (yes even fast food), and should not just be dismissed as "bad". For caloric value, I think honey is probably better than regular table sugar.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It's got a lot of sugar but so long as you're not diabetic and it fits in your calorie goal I'd keep using it. Also give stevia and agave a try :)

And even some of us diabetic don't get scared off by it... I have pure cane sugar, honey and sweeteners every single day and in my opinion they are all fine used in moderation...
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor bad...it's just sugar. Too much sugar can be bad, but sugar in and of itself isn't evil. From a calorie standpoint, it's fairly empty (i.e. pretty much void of any nutritional value)...but honey is delicious.

This.
  • raegan1215
    Options
    my husband is a news junkie and apparently there's a big stir about chinese honey flooding our markets which can potentially be unsafe...
    we buy organic local just about everything including honey regardless but that's my two cents!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Although I only consume honey that was gentle coaxed from bees in a soothing environment at 78 degrees F.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Good. Buy local.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Savannah Bee Company acacia honey. Nom nom.
    Honey may have high sugars but it also has a lot of great benefits when used in moderation.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and advice Guys. x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honey is just sugar. Natural sugar, but sugar nonetheless. If you have room for the extra sugar in your plan, it's good. If you don't, it's not good.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Real local honey is good but like all sweets, take it easy on it.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Aviary is the word you were looking for.

APIARY is the word you were both looking for.

An aviary has birds in it. Bird vomit is not as nice.

To the OP: raw honey has a lot more micronutrients than pasteurized honey, but sugar is sugar.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Apiary. :)

ETA:
    <
    pwnd. Too slow.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Honey has lots of benifits!! Buying local honey is the best.