Calorie Goal for Fiance

Options
First post! Sorry it's a bit long...

I've been using MFP for about 2 months and I love it! MFP set me at 1200 automatically and I wasn't really seeing results, but after reading tons of posts, I recently increased it to 1400. I've also been been doing more varied work outs and incorporated lifting and have already lost more weight then I was seeing before, so I'm happy about that!

My fiance has been trying to lose weight as well and starting getting discouraged...I looked into BMR/TDEE for him and he seemed like he was eating too little. So I decided to start an account for him too!

I calculated his TDEE as 3566 (which seems really high). TDEE-20% is 2853 and his BMR is 1795. The Scooby Workshop calorie calculator put him at 2156 to lose fat/gain muscle. So I thought a happy medium place to start would be 2100 and see how that goes for him. He hasn't dieted/actively tried to lose weight in like, 12 years. He wants to start off losing about 10 lbs and see how that feels for him and then possibly lose another 5-10 lbs. His pretty muscular and most of his work out consists of lifting, but he's going to try and incorporate more cardio.

When I put all this information in MFP it said he would lose 0 lbs/week eating 2100 calories/day.

Now for my questions...does that calorie goal make sense??? Is it way off? Any suggestions you can give would be great, I really want him to feel positive and successful about this journey the way I do!

Replies

• Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Mfp calculates people a little low in my opinion (when I ate at what it said was 1/2 a pound a week I lost 1-1.5 a week). My husband (5'11" started at 245lbs and works a labor intensive job and is a bit of a beast in the gym :wink: ) eats 2000-3000 a day and loses consistently. Also look at the Scooby calculator to make sure you know if it's factoring in exercise or not so you know if he needs to eat back his burned calories.

And as with all dieting like you found out for yourself its gonna take some trial and error, he can start at the 2100 a day and give it a few weeks and tweak from there.
  • sarzee2
    sarzee2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for responding! I calculated TDEE based on a day he would work out (probably 4 days a week). So he shouldn't eat back exercise calories right? I never calculate exercise in my own TDEE just because I'm never 100% sure if I'm going to make it to the gym or not. So on days I do work out I usually eat back only some of mine.