Does anyone else hate this? (mirrors in gyms)

Options
I didn't know where to put this. But, I've noticed every gym I go into, always has a ton of mirrors. Why is that? Honestly.. the mirrors don't motivate me to want to keep going. Self-loathing is my weakness and why I give up. They make me want to leave the gym. I hate seeing myself bounce around while working out. Its not motivating at all. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    They're there so people can check their form. If you're lifting wrong, you can cause serious injury.

But, I also hate the mirrors. Especially the ones in front of the treadmills. I don't need to watch myself run and looking all red and sweaty and like I'm about to die :grumble:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    They are usually in the weight areas for a specific purpose: to check your own form from an outside view. Contrary to popular belief, they weren't put in there for the men to get semis over their own abs...which appears to be their most common function. :wink:
  • SAGR2
    SAGR2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    At my gym they are only in the weights area -and I watch myself all the time to see if I am doing it right. There are some free weights in another corner with no mirrors and I watch myself in a glass door when I work over there. But it is not to do with being vain or pleased with my appearance it is just about keeping things together. I can't see in the mirrors from the treadmill or the cross trainer and I am quite sure I wouldn't like it if I could see myself all red and drippy.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    Thank you guys for clearing that up for me! Maybe I have just been unlucky. There was actually one gym, not too long ago, every single wall had a huge mirror on it. It was terrible. So when I would do off-the-machine exercises, or just doing the treadmill/elliptical, it was sooo far from motivational when I want to go for 30mins-hour.
    I feel like the mirrors should definitely be kept near the weights. Its just the pure psychological effect of it that will get people. And, we all know working out as just as much mental strength as well as physical strength.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I only hate it when they have them in the cardio section. It totally makes sense in the weight section where you have to check your form but there really is no need for us to watch ourselves run or whatever. It's even worse for me because I'm one of those people that stare off into space and don't even realize I might be staring at someone (or their reflection in the mirror) until I realize they're staring back. Awkward!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    They are usually in the weight areas for a specific purpose: to check your own form from an outside view. Contrary to popular belief, they weren't put in there for the men to get semis over their own abs...which appears to be their most common function. :wink:

Lolz, true on all counts.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Im one of those annoying people that likes staring at myself as I work out haha. keeps me entertained
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, I do everything at home and I WISH I had a mirror that i could see in to make sure that my butt is low enough (compared to the ppl in the video for instance) and to make sure my form is correct when weight training. I do not, however, want them when i'm doing cardio. I am fully aware that my A** is up when I'm down and vice versa - LOL
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As long as it's in one section it's fine. I look at them for form, and to apply chapstick.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Im one of those annoying people that likes staring at myself as I work out haha. keeps me entertained

Me too; That person in the glass is the only one I ever need to answer to on this Earth.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I like to be able to check my form when I'm lifting weights. We also have mirrors in the room where they hold our classes (spin, yoga, etc.) - I like those because I can spy on other people and keep myself entertained. Otherwise riding a stationary bike would be pretty freakin' boring.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Bahahaha!! Agreed!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I like them...they make it easy to keep the people watching activities far less obvious!

ETA: Plus, I also like to make sure I don't look too ridiculous myself!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being able to keep a check on my form! But I see big, burly men, checking themselves out! Kind of vain in my opinion, but hey I guess if I loooked that good, and achieved that kind of results, I my look at myself too! But probably not in public! LOL
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't know where to put this. But, I've noticed every gym I go into, always has a ton of mirrors. Why is that? Honestly.. the mirrors don't motivate me to want to keep going. Self-loathing is my weakness and why I give up. They make me want to leave the gym. I hate seeing myself bounce around while working out. Its not motivating at all. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

They are there mainly for lifting weights so you can ensure you are using proper form.

As you get in better shape, you wont' mind the mirrors so much. Trust me on this :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being able to keep a check on my form! But I see big, burly men, checking themselves out! Kind of vain in my opinion, but hey I guess if I loooked that good, and achieved that kind of results, I my look at myself too! But probably not in public! LOL

Very true, especially if any of the guys is actually competing in a bodybuilding event.

I won't get into what I think of guys who are jacked up above their waist but have toothpick legs. Talk about lifting for vanity.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is a giant circle. Free weights are one half, machines are the other half, with cardio stuff in the middle, with every treadmill/bike/stairclimber facing outward towards the weight section. It's actually a little unnerving having all of the people doing cardio watch you work out.

The smart thing the gym did was to put TVs in front of ALL of the cardio gear, so you can watch the news or whatever rather than the mirror or the people lifting.
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's an opportunity to check your form (even when running! Head up, shoulders back, are your feet straight) AND maybe work on some self-acceptance :P Got a big chance to do that at yesterday's first dance class EVER, facing the mirror. It was easier to stay focused when I tried to stay objective about what I saw and not start judging my appearance and enviously glancing at others. The less I hate where I am now the easier it is to enjoy the process of getting healthier :)
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get the purpose of mirrors- but lord I find them distracting, particularly in any class where coordination improves aesthetics, like dance classes or step. Without the mirror, I think I look like this:

tumblr_loqxl3aUk71qejlgio1_400.gif

Then I see myself and it's more like this:

2418792_o.gif

And I have to make a point of not looking in the mirror.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i like them