Weightloss surgery

Options
I am in the early stages of researching Weight-loss surgery. I have been overweight most of my life and after trying many diets and getting discouraged each time because of little to no results I have decided this might be the push I need to get up and over the hill. I wanted to get some information, testimony, and opinion first. from what I've read so far gastric bypass has the quickest results but can also have many complications, though I haven't read much good about the lap band either and up till I started researching I didn't even know their was such thing as a gastric sleeve(still really don't know what it is). I am also looking for younger people(in the 20's) who have had the surgery. I'm a bit worried about excess skin. and am curious if a younger body can recover from this better compared to someone who is middle aged.

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using this website to lose weight yet? It's an extremely helpful tool and you can find a lot of success here without any serious surgeries at all.
  • starfish1783
    Options
    I had the Lap-Band surgery done almost 5 years ago, and if I could go back I would have never done it. Personally, it didn't work for me. Granted, it helped me drop about 50 pounds, but then I ran into some severe complications and actually developed bulimia. Currently, the band is completely loose and I plan to leave it that way and possibly have it removed in the future.

My mom just had the gastric sleeve a couple months ago and she is down about 52 pounds. It's a very radical procedure not to be taken lightly. You cannot eat at all for several days, then you begin with about one shot of water. Move slowly through clear liquids to pureed food, to soft food to regular food. Granted, it takes probably about a year until you can eat "normally" again.

Honestly, MFP has been the extra push I needed. I still struggle, but surgery is super radical - i'm glad I lost the weight, but not the way I did. I'm only 29 and now I have to be super careful because falling back into bulimic behaviors is so easy.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to know more.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If you want a quick fix along with excess hanging skin. Be unable to eat many of the foods you now enjoy and have the risk of death I say go for it.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Gastric sleeve is where they remove 90% of the stomach. Problem is if someone starts eating, it can stretch back to the size it was.

Gastric bypass is where they move part of the intestine from the bottom to the top of the stomach and also reduce the size of the stomach.

Lap band or gastric band puts a plastic ring around the stomach which reduces how much someone can eat. The band can then be adjusted to suit the person.

Some people have to loose weight using a gastric balloon prior to more permanent surgery. In the UK this is as much as 5 stone (70 pounds) for bigger people. This will fill the stomach two thirds so stops someone eating too much at once. Normally a stomach has 1.5 litres volume and the balloon is pumped up to 1 litre with saline leaving just half a litre for food and water.

Surgery should be looked as a last option as it will change the way someone eats for the rest of their life. It also doesn't ensure that the person will make the surgery work. They can still fail if someone falls back in their old ways. Also the number of vitamins needed are massive due to the body not being to able to take in all the nutrients. This can also make loose skin a lot worse than the loose skin would be from diet and exercise.
  • ckhardeman
    ckhardeman Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I work for a bariatric surgeon. Just make sure you do your research on whom ever you choose. How long, how many surgeries? Do not be afraid to ask for telephone numbers of other paitents who have had similar surgeries. (we do if the other patient states its ok). The Bypass is the one that has been around for a long time. Even though it has risks & complication that could be involved so does all the other surgeries. The bypass is the one that has more data on & theres no hidden complications. I have been with my Doctor for 10 years & have not seen any complications on any of our patients. He does the bypass, sleeve & the banding. I myself have had the banding do not recommend. I lost 80 pounds & have since had to have mine removed due to slippage. And now fighting to keep the last 20lbs off since I had it removed.( gained it all back but 20lbs) Feel free to in box me any questions & if I cant answer I will ask my doctor & get back to you. Im not in my twenties but I see weight loss patient everyday.
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight my whole life too....A year ago I made a commitment to myself to become selfish....not in a bad way, but in a self-care and self-preservation way. I put myself first everyday...what I plan to eat, when I plan to exercise, and my family's needs come second to mine when it comes to these areas. I have lost almost 40lbs and have kept it off. I continue to make myself a priority and my health and that had made me a better wife, mother and career person. I did it without any surgery, fad diets, pills or paid for diet food. I use this site, and my tennis shoes. I make health food choices and yes I'll have a cookie or a SMALL piece of cake, but I account for it and work it in my daily plan...I saw a show last night, My 600lb mother, on TLC....no matter what doctors tried and she even went through radical surgery, she had not come to terms with WHY she overate....and didn't change. You have to change how you think and approach your health before you proceed with anything. Having surgery but not changing your lifestyle will not change a thing. I have a neighbor, went through surgery....looked fine for a while, but now is almost as heavy and unhealthy as before. If you do the surgery, make sure it is for the right reasons and NOT as a quick fix. Your health is not about a quick fix. This will be a journey that you will be on the rest of your life. How you take that journey and how you prepare for it are vitally important.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Do your research and make a choice based on what's best for you.

Regardless how big you are you can lose weight with diet and exercise. You just have to stick with it. Look at the guy here who has lost over 300lbs. Look at his journey as inspiration.

Far too often we either give up too soon (most of us have done this) when things get tough or we don't see the losses we want to see... or we look for the easy way out (not saying you are, many people do look for the easiest way).

Try this site, sticking with it regardless of what the scale says for a while and see what progress you make. Personally, I wouldn't go for surgery because there are far too many risks with it when weight loss can and will happen with motivation, determination, hard work and following a plan. Pick a plan that fits best with your lifestyle and the goals you want to accomplish.
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have you considered therapy before having surgery? I know a few people who have had the surgery and they are either still overweight or have even gained weight since having the surgery. The issue I have with these surgeries is that they don't address the problem of why someone is overeating. Even with the surgery, it's still possible to overeat and gain weight.
  • fitmelinda7
    fitmelinda7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My aunt and cousin both had R-N-Y Gastric Bypass surgeries....one gained 50 lbs the other gained 80 lbs back AFTER SURGERY. They did not stretch their stomachs out either. They still eat small portions at each meal. I think the key is the type of foods you eat post surgery.

My hubby had the Mini Gastric Bypass - he did loose the weight but has REALLY struggled with maintaining healthy mineral and protein levels. PLUS if you eat unhealthy foods the effects are just as severe if not more severe. For example, eating a twinkie regularly may fill you up and you may be able to maintain a healthy weight. BUT there are no healthy ingredients in processed foods (obviously)...AND you absorb fewer minerals with a post-surgery digestive system...SO you can EASILY become malnourished at a healthy weight. You are young, you may want to keep this in mind if you consider any future pregnancies.

There are struggles with being able to digest food - even good food. My hubby can't hardly eat chicken or eggs because it gets "stuck" and he either throws it up or is in severe pain until it digests. This is with a small portion like 1 egg or 2 ounces of chicken. Steak....forget steak! :) I think this is what makes it hard for some people to eat the right foods post surgery, because it gets frustrating dealing with the limits on what your body can tolerate. Everyone is different and some are really successful, but I have 3 people out of 3 that I know who have had bariatric surgery and ALL have had very difficult struggles. I also think that in time a post-surgery body adjusts to the "New Stomach" and it is less effective in eliminating excess calories and fats. I'm not a doctor, just giving my opinion. Then there are the fun things like excess gas and dirrahea....I'll just stop there! :sick:

I know it seems overwhelming to take on an endeavor like weight loss, but it could be much worse. My hubby developed Type 2 diabetes so he decided to have the procedure done. The diabetes are gone along with the weight, but like I mentioned earlier maintaining the proper mineral levels is a lifetime challenge. I wish you all the best. I know the struggle myself! That's why I'm here!

By all means if you are dealing with life threatening cholesterol problems, heart disease, or diabetes...I would definitely consider it. I hoped by sharing this with you that you would be a little more aware of things that may not mentioned clearly in a doctor's visit. Again, I wish you all the best and a happy, healthy life!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My mother and I were both over weight; she had a worse time with diabetes than I but we were noth on diabetes meds. Mom was convinced the surgery would cure her need for insulin and Metformin. In February of 2012 she had gastric bypass. In May of 2012 I started my life change which included a diabetic friendly meal plan and strict exercise regimine. She went into surgery at her biggest 235. I started my change at my top weight of 217.

Today we are both within 10lbs from goal :drinker:

Results as seen and noted by friends and family:

Mom looks great in clothing but she has an abundance of skin and can't wear more fitted items well so she still wears baggy clothing and hides herself. Mom lost hr hair and the color in her hair for about 6-8 months. Color returned dull. 2 months after surgery she was back on metformin, within 4 months back on insulin as well. She looks older and little color to her face. She doesn'teat any different a year later than she did prior to surgery and she has begun to find excuses not to workout.

I was off Metformin in 3 months, off bp meds in 6 months. I have no loose skin to speak of as of yet but suspect minimal in my tummy from carrying 3 children. It won't be as bad as when I had lost weight after having the children. My arms and legs are toned and firm. I have energy, my hair is so much longer, and still the color of an aging 38 year old (mostly brown but tjose grays have been popping in here and there for a few years now). My nails grow better. I am about 15lbs more than mom but wear two sizes smaller than she does. I love my workouts and don't have issues with my meal plan. My friends, family, and co workers all tell me I look 10 years younger.

Neither of us would change their path. Mom is just as happy with her decision now as in the start because she lost the weight. I am happy, healthy, active, and energeticly enjoying life. It will be what you make of it. I know my mother should be happy and more active but she isn't and her ailments have not subsided as she had expected. It is my opinion she didn't intend to make lifestyle changes to reach her expected success but can not speak to certainty on that. But those who see us together will comment how much older she appears and how much younger I appear. You should consider everything before deciding
  • lemonlimecrime
    lemonlimecrime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There are some good responses here. I have never had the surgery, but I hit a low point in college where I thought maybe the only way I would ever get to a weight under 200 pounds is some kind of surgery like this. I've reached that goal and I'm working really hard toward my final goal, and this website really helped me out! You mentioned you wanted responses from people in their 20s so I am going to assume you are in your 20s. I'm in my late 20s and I did it, and I had a baby 6 months ago. Maybe before something really serious like surgery, you can try to find like-minded people to provide you support and go through the same stuff with you, and if literally nothing else works, maybe a conversation with your doctor is the best place to start. I would love to know what kind of things you have tried and what kind of success you have seen. I would be glad to chat with you about it if you want. If not, I wish you the best!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would never try and talk anyone out of what they feel they need to do for themselves but I do like being a voice of reason and letting anyone know that you are never to far gone to fight your way back. i was homebound for over 2 years, could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch let alone walk.... I had a computer chair i wheeled around the house on and was consuming over 10,000 calories a day. I finallly had enough and ask for help.... I started seeing a therapist to get to the heart of the problem which was my food addiction and began working with a nutritionist and got a script for aquatic therapy to use water displacement so that i could stand long enough to begin exercising. From there it was alot of hard work and determination and over the last 43 months I was able to lose over 300 pounds... Was it easy??? Hell No.... but was it worth it??? Absolutely and I would do it all again in a heartbeat....Best of Luck to you whatever you decide........ (sorry if there are typos my internet is down and this is being sent from my droid)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The thing is... the surgery isn't an easy fix. It's a lot of pain, a lot of recovery, and a huge amount of work, so it's probably always worth trying the "huge amount of work" part without the "getting cut open and having organs removed" step.

My cousin and her husband met online in a gastric bypass support group. She lost over 150 lbs and has gained most of it back, he has more or less maintained his loss but is also diabetic so he's really careful about his diet. So it's not even the weight-loss guarantee that it seems like it should be.
  • Cllinville12
    Options
    It seems as though some of you got the wrong idea about my post. I'm not looking for a "quick fix" I know this is a lifestyle change and not only do I have to change what I eat, when I eat, and how much I eat, but also adding exercise and healthy lifestyle choices as well. The reason I am considering this is because after many different attempts (I'll ad not short lived tried large amounts of time at a time) I see very little change and I feel as though this choice will help me push myself over that edge to get results.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you want a quick fix along with excess hanging skin. Be unable to eat many of the foods you now enjoy and have the risk of death I say go for it.

Myth.

And also rude.

WLS is NOT a quick fix. If you knew anything about it you wouldnt bother saying stupid crap like this.

It is HER personal choice, not yours.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am a 4yr post gastric bypass patient and I also work for a Bariatric and Weight Loss Clinic. Please Friend Me or PM me as well as read my profile if you'd like more information. Too many times of the forums you'll get folks who are over passionate about this subject one way or the other. I'm passionate about YOU making the right choice for YOU!

Best of luck!
    Sal
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    It seems as though some of you got the wrong idea about my post. I'm not looking for a "quick fix" I know this is a lifestyle change and not only do I have to change what I eat, when I eat, and how much I eat, but also adding exercise and healthy lifestyle choices as well. The reason I am considering this is because after many different attempts (I'll ad not short lived tried large amounts of time at a time) I see very little change and I feel as though this choice will help me push myself over that edge to get results.
    To maintain that weight loss from surgery, you'll still have to eat less anyway (as you stated) so why not just make the same adjustments now and avoid the risky surgery?

I understand why you consider the surgery, but in the end the only difference (other than potential complications) is being cut open and forced into eating less instead of doing it on your own over time. I'd really suggest avoiding diets and just monitoring your calores/macros for a while and seeing your results.

It's completely possible for you to lose the weight without surgery. I wish you luck with whatever you choose :flowerforyou:
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Nevermind them.

People are rude here when it comes to WLS.

You have to do what is BEST FOR YOU!

Its a myth that it is a quick fix. People have no idea how long the process takes or that you have to live with it for the rest of your life. They also dont realize that its permanent.

People here also dont know your personal situation. Me? I have been there. I was ready to sign on the dotted line before my husband switched jobs. I know plenty of people who had had it done with great results when everything else FAILED them.

People think exercise and eating right is oh-so-easy. But its not when you have pain and medical problems that hinder your ability to exercise. Or that you have an eating disorder or food addiction. Yes, people these things are real.

Dont let the naysayers get your down. They are being judgemental. Dont stoop to their level.

The fact remains they dont know you and what you have been through and life. They judge because they have nothing better to do.

WLS is a personal choice and NO ONE should be bashed for it because it is NOT an easy choice.

You know maybe if people here were more welcoming and nice (and supportive) maybe people who are considering WLS would stick around long enough to see that maybe MFP might work for them. Instead, you make them feel like **** for coming here in the first place.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    WLS is a personal choice and NO ONE should be bashed for it because it is NOT an easy choice.

You know maybe if people here were more welcoming and nice (and supportive) maybe people who are considering WLS would stick around long enough to see that maybe MFP might work for them. Instead, you make them feel like **** for coming here in the first place.
    Nobody is here to bash anybody..?
    She asked for opinions and a lot of people here have had wonderful success without the surgery just as many have success with the surgery. Opinions from both sides are expected, and in the end she will choose what she honestly feels is best for HER.

I don't think everybody should immediately tell her that surgery is the best option because in most cases, it's not. Without underlying medical/physical issues, it is very possible to lose the weight without it and a lot healthier.