Ideas for core strength and abdominal exercises?

Options
Tried my hand at planks but I'm still not strong enough to push myself up onto my forearms.
Any idea for some great exercises I can do at home that will make my tummy feel like a sore ball of putty the next day. I tried to do some ab exercises yesterday including an assisted sit up (used a rope to help pull myself up) and I dont feel a thing. I was hoping to feel the burn :grumble:

Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do you do any strength training?

compound moves like deadlifts, squats, bench press, pullups/chinups, etc will strengthen your core..

honestly, ab excercies are not really going to do much ...you need to melt off the body fat that is covering up your abs...
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble moving your upper body enough to hit your abs, do ab stuff that moves your legs. Lift them while laying on your back.

Just sitting in a chair or on the couch, sit your butt forward and lean back. Put your legs in front of you. Bring your knees towards your chest. Straighten your legs again. It's called a knee tuck.

If you have a friend to help, my favorite all time ab work out is where you lie on your back and stick your legs up in the air. Your job is to keep them in that position. If the move, you have to get them back there. Your friend's job is to grab your ankles and throw your feet at the ground. To prevent you from resisting, they should not throw in the same direction all the time. You want to throw to the right, then forward, then 45 degrees...
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What is your problem with planks/where are you lacking the strength? And why are you using a rope to help you with sit ups?

For workouts:
    V snaps
    Banana rocks/ holds (do these on your back, stomach, and each side)
    Bicycle kicks
    Lie on your back with your feet in the air, press your lower back into the ground (there should be NO SPACE anywhere between you and the ground), slowly lower your feet until you find your back starting to arch. Hold the lowest flat back point you can for 30 seconds.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

compound moves like deadlifts, squats, bench press, pullups/chinups, etc will strengthen your core..

honestly, ab excercies are not really going to do much ...you need to melt off the body fat that is covering up your abs...

Agreed. I have pretty nicely toned abs and I don't do a lick of "ab" exercises, aside from planks...and even then I'm only doing the planks as a part of another exercise.

Actually you'll make your stomach look bigger if you do traditional ab work over fat, better off losing the fat with diet and regular compound exercises.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What is your problem with planks/where are you lacking the strength? And why are you using a rope to help you with sit ups?

For workouts:
    V snaps
    Banana rocks/ holds (do these on your back, stomach, and each side)
    Bicycle kicks
    Lie on your back with your feet in the air, press your lower back into the ground (there should be NO SPACE anywhere between you and the ground), slowly lower your feet until you find your back starting to arch. Hold the lowest flat back point you can for 30 seconds.

Poor shoulder strength I guess. I remember once trying to do the shoulder press machine with an ex and he got so frustrated with me because I couldn't even push the empty bar up. I was using the rope thingy just as a way to get to my goal of one day being able to do a sit up. Trying to come up with ideas and modifications.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Agreed. I have pretty nicely toned abs and I don't do a lick of "ab" exercises, aside from planks...and even then I'm only doing the planks as a part of another exercise.

Actually you'll make your stomach look bigger if you do traditional ab work over fat, better off losing the fat with diet and regular compound exercises.

I only do about 45 minutes of ab work a week..sometimes les....
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Good advice
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Any sites I can go to to learn how to do this. No gym around, but I can try to do a negative pullup
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Any sites I can go to to learn how to do this. No gym around, but I can try to do a negative pullup

stronglifts.com
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

nailed it!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, one of my friends suggested a an app called sworkit. I love it.
  • chrisruns4pie
    Options
    Dumb question. What is a V Snap?