New here with some questions

Options
Hello. I've been on MFP for a little over a month now but I've never posted or anything like that. I was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone who knows more about meals each day and the number of calories you're supposed to be eating.

Just to give a little info on myself, I am 19 years old, about 5'4-5'5. I didn't actually weigh myself when I started because I was too afraid to know the number. I guessed I was about 300 though. I feel like I've lost weight since starting this, maybe between 5-10 pounds, not much though. I work out everyday. I walk everyday between 60-90 minutes at a time around my neighborhood and then do an extra 20-30 minutes of weights and jogging in my house, plus I have a job (between 4-5 days a week anywhere from 5-8 hours depending on the schedule) where I'm on my feet all day (I work in a deli). If I don't work then I just do my usual workout. On average in my workout I burn between 700-1200 calories plus maybe 300-500 more at work. My MFP calorie goal is 2110, but I'm always usually way under. I only eat when I am hungry, so I don't really know what to do. Do I stop working out as much? Or do i force myself to eat more? My diary is also open if anyone wanted to look.

I think I am eating much healthier than I was before. I have completely cut out soda and candy and lots of other junk, but sometimes I'm still worried about what I'm eating because I don't like vegetables, tried them but just don't like them. The only fruit I like is bananas. So I'm just unsure if I'm even doing anything right here.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any advice!

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I've been dropping this link a lot on here lately, so I hope people are finding it helpful:

http://fueledfitness.ca/fat-loss-the-right-way/

I think you are doing a great thing just by being here and being aware of what you are eating. That being said, I don't think you're eating enough calories. Eating more nutrient dense foods will increase your calorie intake, but your body will get more (fuel) out of it. If you don't like veggies, try eating them WITH something else. For example, a stirfry with chicken,shrimp, beef or pork. I tend to eat my veggies as part of dish like that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Looking through your diary, I'd personally disagree that you are eating "healthy". You are eating a lot of packaged foods with healthy stamped on them. You also need to be eating more calories. Try to add in some fresh fruits and veggies and lean proteins. You don't have to have a low fat version of whatever, you just need to eat less calories than you burn in a day. You can add in calorie dense foods like peanut butter, olives, nuts, avocados, etc. Or if you want a brownie, you don't have to have the weight watcher version if you have room in your calories. Too many people go too far in the extreme when trying to eat healthy and they restrict themselves too much. It just isn't sustainable in the long run.
  • jace10627
    jace10627 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I know the frozen stuff isn't exactly 'healthy' healthy but I just started eating them to help me get used to the portion thing, which I think has actually helped me some because with changing to that I now feel full when I'm finished eating just the one serving, when before I probably would have eaten more than that because I thought I had too. Plus as I said, I have lost some weight, I just don't know the exact number.

And I know in the end of the day I'm not eating as many calories as I should, so do I workout less then or just up a serving of something that I am eating?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure everything out and I feel like people here have more knowledge or experience with this.

Thank You. :)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you do not like vegetables try eating more soups, stews, and chilis. Any thing were you are not eating just plain vegetables. If you do not know how to cook these items learn. The only way you can truly eat healthy is to prepare your own food and not by eating packaged food.

Also, experiment with fruits and vegetables you haven't tried yet and find some you like.

I am always surprised when someone says they don't like vegetable or fruits or seafood when there are 100s of different varieties and flavors. Surely there must be something that tastes good.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    At your size the calculators are going to be wrong. They're geared for "normal" sized people so eating up to budget isn't that big of a deal yet. If you've lost 10 pounds in a month that's great. Weight doesn't come off like Biggest Loser in the real world.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I know the frozen stuff isn't exactly 'healthy' healthy but I just started eating them to help me get used to the portion thing, which I think has actually helped me some because with changing to that I now feel full when I'm finished eating just the one serving, when before I probably would have eaten more than that because I thought I had too. Plus as I said, I have lost some weight, I just don't know the exact number.

And I know in the end of the day I'm not eating as many calories as I should, so do I workout less then or just up a serving of something that I am eating?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure everything out and I feel like people here have more knowledge or experience with this.

Thank You. :)

You can exercise less or eat more if you are short of your goal. Both will have the same result. Also, as much as you don't want to weigh yourself, you might want to start at some point since the calculators for determining how many calories you should eat are based on weight. Also, you should recalculate calories every five pounds you lose (MFP does this automatically if you record your weight) because you need fewer calories the less you weigh.