HELP! Need weight training refresher

Options
Can someone remind me what to do to overall tone better:

lighter weights with more reps or heavier weights w/less? I usually mix it up but really want to have my arms really toned in time for tank tops! I'm seeing positive changes but want to make the next month really productive...thanks!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of personal choice. Both work! Oh and thanks for reminding me....I cannot very well advise you if I am not working out!!

I have the Slim in 6 dvd and it hits each and every muscle (so I realized when I tried to get out of bed 2 days later LOL!!)
  • miszshai
    miszshai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    do heavier weights and at the begining do less reps but as time goes on do more reps. this will help tone your arms and help fight against osteoporsis when your older
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Go heavy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/health/06real.html?ref=health

"Subjects lifting more weight fewer times burned more energy and had a greater metabolic boost after exercise."

"those who were assigned to do resistance exercises three times a week — sets of 8 reps at 70 to 80 percent of their ability — lost the most weight and body fat."

My go-to resource for women's weightlifting is stumptuous.com. I also enjoy the posts on gubernatrix.co.uk.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - heavy it is.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm taking an advanced strength and conditioning class right now we just talked about this a wee while ago. It depends on what you want.

Here's a mini breakdown

Strength 4-6 reps per set
    Hypertrophy 8-15 reps per set
    Endurance 15-20 reps per set
    Power 3 or less reps at sub rep max per set