aggravated

futuredispatchhottie911
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So it's my second week I have been below calorie intake everyday but somehow I have gained 3lbs. Any suggestions?

Replies

• A lot of it has to do with what you eat. I find that whole foods like lean protein and fresh fruits and veggies work. If I stay below my goal with processed foods and too much salt and sugar the scale either inches up or fails to move at all. Works for me!
  • durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    I would review the types of things you're eating and when see if something sticks out
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    So it's my second week I have been below calorie intake everyday but somehow I have gained 3lbs. Any suggestions?

2 weeks is not a huge amount of time when starting out. Sometimes it takes our bodies a bit of time to adjust to healthy eating. When you say 'below calorie intake' , how far below? Several hundred cals or 10-15 under? That would make a huge difference as you do want to be sure you're eating close to what is alloted via MFP!

Excercising yet? PMS time? Could be so many factors, if you have an open food diary perhaps folks could offer suggestions on what could be swapped around.

All in all though, I do realize it may seem frustrating especially in a the way TV is presented shows such as 'The BIggest Loser' can make it appear everyone should be losing 20+ lbs the first few weeks when obese or morbidly obese. But that's simply not reality for those of us on MFP doing it the healthy way.

I say keep up what you've been doing if you're sure you're keeping a good healthy food diary, introduce exercise if you've not had a chance to yet and hang in there. It WILL happen, we didn't put on our extra weight overnight, we all would love to drop the weight extra fast but the healthy way is slow and steady so it stays off!

YAY for you for joining MFP and wanting to do it the healthy way. Not sure how often you jump on the scale but do be aware that taking beginings measurements can make a world of difference as the scale can become very controlling and not always the most accurate as it does vary throughout the day.

Good luck to you, patience will get you far:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I only gain the day after my cheat (it's a few pounds and is gone in 2 days) or the week before my TOM (sometimes as much as 3-5 pounds). I used to stress about it and now I don't because once the bloat is gone, the weight disappears and I've lost an additional pound or two.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Try eating to your calorie allowance and see if that helps. Less calories doesnt always equal more weight loss (or any weight loss). MFP calorie allowances are quite low anyway so if you are eating under that then it could be too low to lose (esp with exercise). MFP set my allowance at 1200 but if I eat under 1300 I dont lose weight (and have been known to put it on) so I have set my allowance to 1400 plus any exercise calories.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    I think that people in the begining of their weight loss journey , dont pay attention to the carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and just pay attention to the calorie intake. ( I know this was VERY true for me) But just staying with in your calories is not always going to be enough. You have to be eating the right things as well, the right amount of carbs, fat, protein, ect. Sodium is a HUGE water holder, no persons sodium should be above 2400 grams in a day, even when you get more calories from exercise, you do not get more sodium. I think these are all things that everyone should pay attention to .
    I didnt pay attention to these things until I wasnt losing. Then I had to look at why, and once I Started adjusting all those elements, everything fell into place.

Good luck with it all! Your doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    How many calories did MFP calculate for you? If you were given 1200 and are eating below that, then you need to eat a MINIMUM of 1200, as close to it as possible but not too below.

Good Luck. Would love to be friends so we can encourage each other! I too want to go to Billy Bobs!!!! 8-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Sodium will hold 1-3 pounds of weight (water).

Starting a new exercise program will make your muscles retain water also. Are you sore? If you're sore I can almost guarantee you're holding on to water. Your body is using the water to repair tears in the muscles. Once you go a week or two more on a program, this will go away.
This discussion has been closed.