Up my calories a little?

Options
I'm thinking of upping my calories to 1300 for a few weeks to see if it will give me a boost to make my goal. I've been following 1200 a day for 92 days, and have lost 15lbs, but now my weight loss has slowed to an absolute crawl. I've got 3lbs to go to hit my goal of 108lbs (I'm 5'1" and quite a small build) and all along I've been exercising and eating healthily.

Does it make sense to up my calories a little now that I have done the bulk of the work and plateaued? I feel great at the moment, I have so much more energy. Not to mention how much happier I feel!

I would appreciate any advice!

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Try googling how to overcome a plateau in weight loss. You'll find some great tips, I'm sure. But here's a few suggestions that come to my mind:

Normally, when you hit a plateau you lower your calorie intake to fit your new weight. HOWEVER, since you've already been following the 1200 calories a day minimum, you should increase your calorie intake for a week or maybe even two. It'll restart your weight loss. I don't suggest only bumping it up by 100 calories though. Try 1500 or maybe even a little more.

Or something else I suggest is having a cheat meal! Eat whatever you want, but don't binge. Don't eat until your sick. A cheat meal could jumpstart your weight loss again too. It really depends on your body and how it reacts though; it may or may not work for you.

Oh! Wait, one more thing: When my mother hit a plateau after losing 100 pounds, she increased her protein intake. She started buying protein shake mix and it helped.
  • EternalLife
    EternalLife Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I have tried a cheat meal in the past and it definitely worked, so I think I will give that a go again, since I only have a few pounds to go. I don't really want to stick to 1200 for too long, as I know it's the minimum recommended. I do sometimes struggle with protein since I'm vegetarian, so maybe I can work on that as well.

Thank you for your advice :smile: