Does frying your food add calories?

Options
I know, I sound so stupid... But I'm new to this counting calories thing. I bought chicken patties to eat. They have 140 calories, and I'm just wondering if I log that in as a Quick Add Calories, if I fry it, does that add more calories? I'm sorry for this crazy question.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    most of the time, yep,
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    if you use oil then yes. just measure out the oil and log that too
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If you dry fry it, no added calories. If you fry in oil, you have to count the calories in the oil.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you add fat to the pan, it will add some calories. Take a guess based on what you are using to fry them.
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Probably. Sigh. I haven't been counting any oil used for frying, but I suppose it would count. sigh.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Not if you use vegetable oil, then it's good for you. :wink:

Seriously though, yes, it unfortunately adds calories and fat in addition to the flavour.
  • ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    They'll absorb some oil as you're frying them, so, yes. It's hard to say how much though- you might want to measure the oil carefully.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much oil you use. If I use my pam spray I don't add it, if I use TBSs of Olive oil heck yes I add it
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you're frying it in oil, then yes you should be logging the oil.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes your food absorbs some of the oil when its fried.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Yes, measure the oil you fry it in. Or look on the database for a fried version. The problem with quick add calories is that they don't track your macros (protein, carbs, fat) .

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No worries, no question is a dumb question, if you don't know the answer!
    It will add more calories, depending on how you fry it, because in the cooking process, the food will soak up some of the oil that you use. Frying your food at the proper temperature will make it absorb LESS oil, but not NO oil. If I fry something, it's always pan fried in just a tablespoon or so of oil, and then I just add in that amount to my calories.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yes, and that's why I bake things like that. I use my fryer maybe 2 times a year.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It absolutely does. The only way to know how much for sure is to measure what you add to the pan and then measure what's left. Or use only enough that none is left in the pan.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I usually add something like a tablespoon and a half per 4 oz of meat.

Which is just a guestimate pulled straight outta my *kitten*, but it's what I use.
  • hnlamb27
    Options
    I figured those were the answers I'd get. Thanks, though. :) Looks like I'm going to have to get used to baking things. I like baked foods, but some things don't come with baking instructions.
  • SaveFileCorrupt
    SaveFileCorrupt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Olive oil cooking spray if you want to minimize the additional cals. Otherwise, use a high quality oil for pan frying, and enjoy the healthy unsaturated fats, so long as it fits your macros.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Oils have calories.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Oils have calories.

what about mineral oil?
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options