Vanity Sizing

Options
Do you give in?

I bought some new jeans the other day, and I was down a size from the same brand I bought 10 years ago (Silver). Because I am a discount shopper, and it was buy 1-get-1 free, I looked for another pair and the only ones I liked were a size lower that the ones before. So.. as good as the number on the pants felt, it doesn't make me feel better than I now own the same brand in 3 different sizes and the one with the highest number is actually the tightest.

Replies

• Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into it! A size 10 from the 90's is like a size 6 today. Ridiculous.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Seriously, just buy what fits. I don't care what it was in 1990, it's 2013.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I buy what fits. Depending on the store, I'm a 7, 6, or a 4.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I buy what fits. Depending on the store, I'm a 7, 6, or a 4.

I think you're a 10
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into it! A size 10 from the 90's is like a size 6 today. Ridiculous.

Agreed. When girls try to say how Marilyn Monroe was a 14.. well, she might've been, but I think that still equals probably a 6 today.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What else are you going to do? It's silly to buy pants you're swimming in just because they're the same number as the pants you bought a decade ago.

I guess you could start measuring the waist/hips/thighs of all your pants and sharpie-ing the numbers on the tag. I kind of want to do that now, I have a 10-year-old pair of size 8 cords that I can barely squeeze into even though I need a belt for that brand's 8s now.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Love silvers! Screw sizes- where what brings out your best features!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yea, I stopped caring.

My dress pants for work range from a size 4 to a size 9
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I buy what fits. Cut out the tag if you hate it. Vanity sizing, while irritating, is probably here to stay.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Lol - not sure what the real issue is here. Buy what fits and don't get hung up on the tag inside!
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    Yep, the only way to say I fit into the same size jeans that I did 10 years ago (in high school), whatever, is if you have the jeans from back then to slip into, some people do, I do not. The number is not as important as how you feel/look wearing them.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I get upset when a 3 fits better than an 1, or a 0 in another size. It makes me "feel" larger... I do realize that every brand made is going to vary, so it's difficult to not buy into it! I agree though. let it go, buy what fits, and cutting the tag is a good idea!
  • mejackiev
    Options
    If the clothing is made in china the sizes are going to run a little small.. I found cloths that are made here in the US or England ( Hard to find ) run a bit larger.. I dont think there is a standard for women sizes.. LOL
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    All that crap varies anymore. Even worse with different brands. For jeans I have Wranglers in 36, Levis in 34, and my Lucky jeans are 32. Go figure.