When to push through and when should pain make you stop?

Options
After about 3 months off from working out, including occassional running, I decided to train for a 5K.

I've been jogging 3 times a week for a month. Cardiovascularly, I'm improving quickly. I was in great shape prior to my three month hiatus - but I'm having trouble with pain in my ankles and shins.

I've been pushing through the pain - it usually starts to hurt about 10 minutes into my run. I do a brisk walking warm up and a long set of stretches after. I do not think it is my shoes as I was fit for them and they are great otherwise. It hurts for the rest of the day after the run but goes away after sleeping.

I know that my body needs to adjust to my new schedule - but I thought I would see some improvement in a month.

Do I continue to push through as I get in better shape? Something else I could be doing?

Replies

• Joey_TheGreat
    Options
    pain is temporary you should ALWAYS push through pain. If you are injured that is something different. Your body will adjust eventually produce enough endorphin to block the pain. BEST OF LUCK dont quit push harder.
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    I was having a problem like that in my hip from running. I choose to push through and I just made it worse. Ive been side lined since christmas. I suggest if you hurt enough to ask, go see your doctor he'll tell you if you should worry or not.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    pain is temporary you should ALWAYS push through pain. .

Is this really the sort of advice that should be on here?

ALWAYS push through pain? I can't believe my eyes!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think you push through the discomfort of being breathless, the burning in your lungs, the feeling that your muscles cannot do another motion, and perhaps even nausea. You don't push through pain, especially not sharp pain, or pain that is in your joints, not your muscles.
    Your shin pain is probably shin splints? Those need rest, maybe a sleeve. Your ankles may be weak, and you might want to go slower until you build them up, perhaps with specific exercises.
  • deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and have horrible shin pain. Unfortunately I just have to push threw it. The recommendation given to me is a pain that builds gradually and is constant is one you push threw. If the pain comes on sudden and is sharp or stabbing -it's one that you need to get looked at.

Also make sure you are not landing on your heel when you run, this gives you more shin pain.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    This is really hard to give advice on because knowing what to do only comes with experience, and knowing your own body really well.

If the pain is bad enough that it makes you change your gait (ie limp) then i would say stop immediately

If the pain is significantly worse after your runs, and especially if it is cumulatively getting worse, then you need to back off as well.

Some discomfort in the shins, ankles, calves is pretty normal for new runners and will go away as your body gets used to the stress. You need to be careful not to push to hard as your body adjusts or this discomfort will become a real injury.

the two main strategies are
    1) reduce mileage by 50% and work on stretching and strengthening until the problem goes away.
    2) stop entirely and rest for a few days to a few weeks, this is used to nip a niggle in the bud before it becomes a real injury.

Most of the time pain is an indicator of a problem and it wont just magically get better. You have to figure out what is causing it

look at all these factors
    Stride
    lack of strength
    bad bio mechanics
    lack of flexibility
    bad shoes
    poor choice of running surface
    to many miles to fast
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    pain is temporary you should ALWAYS push through pain. If you are injured that is something different. Your body will adjust eventually produce enough endorphin to block the pain. BEST OF LUCK dont quit push harder.

I disagree with this.

I'll push through an ache. A little stiffness, a little soreness.

If it's PAIN, that's your body's way of say, "Hey, stop this. Something's wrong."
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    This is terrible advice

Running sucks at first. You have to push yourself when you want to stop soo badly, your body will likely ache, and generally feel beat up.

However, if you are experiencing real pain you should not push through it. Injuries WILL eventually win. The longer you fight it the longer you are going to have to take off from running.
  • MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with pain. I have been a runner most of my life. Two years ago my ankle started to hurt during my run and I pushed through the pain. I did this for months................. My messed up my ankle so bad. It got to the point that I could not walk without being in pain. My Dr's advice was to stay off my foot completely for months- impossible to do!

My ankle is better- but I have to be very careful. I haven't been running again since I reinjured my ankle. As soon as it is painful stop. If you can do a brisk walk do that. If not get off your feet!
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is terrible advice

Running sucks at first. You have to push yourself when you want to stop soo badly, your body will likely ache, and generally feel beat up.

However, if you are experiencing real pain you should not push through it. Injuries WILL eventually win. The longer you fight it the longer you are going to have to take off from running.
    I think you push through the discomfort of being breathless, the burning in your lungs, the feeling that your muscles cannot do another motion, and perhaps even nausea. You don't push through pain, especially not sharp pain, or pain that is in your joints, not your muscles.
    Your shin pain is probably shin splints? Those need rest, maybe a sleeve. Your ankles may be weak, and you might want to go slower until you build them up, perhaps with specific exercises.

This and this. There is definitely discomfort from the HR increase and perhaps wobbly legs, but do your best to stay focused on what's ahead of you. If you feel dizzy or about to pass out, or any type of sharp pain as mentioned above - then it's recommended to probably stop/slow down/regain yourself.

I know when I've gone out for jogs, I go at about 6mph for an attempted 3 minute intervals and 1 minute rest. If I start feeling uncomfortable, for example, around the 2 minute zone, I'll set a marker for something like the next telephone pole, or that truck just up ahead, and push through. At that point I realize my body is more capable than I thought, that I'm not going to die, and it really comes down to mind over matter.
  • Conscious1y
    Options

Going to have to go with a big 'NO' here..

Pain is something that shouldn't be part of your gym routine. Hard workouts will obviously induce discomfort, sweat, exhaustion, etc. But if you're doing something that literally pains you to do, it's best to stop and reevaluate what you're doing. As it may be a problem with form, improper use of machine, etc., however there's always the chance it hurts because it's on it's way to injury / already injured.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascularly, I'm improving quickly. I was in great shape prior to my three month hiatus - but I'm having trouble with pain in my ankles and shins.
    It is normal for cardiovascular fitness to improve more quickly than muscle, tendon, and bone strength.
    I've been pushing through the pain - it usually starts to hurt about 10 minutes into my run.
    If that type of pain pain gets worse during a run then it is the bad kind of pain that indicates a pending injury. You are probably overstressing the tendons. In that case you need to add some more recovery time between runs to give it time to get stronger. If the pain gets less during the run, or at least doesn't get any worse, then you may be able to run through it.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and have horrible shin pain. Unfortunately I just have to push threw it. The recommendation given to me is a pain that builds gradually and is constant is one you push threw. If the pain comes on sudden and is sharp or stabbing -it's one that you need to get looked at.

Also make sure you are not landing on your heel when you run, this gives you more shin pain.

Watch that "horrible shin pain" and pay attention to it. When I enlisted in the Army years ago, I was terribly out of shape even though I worked out with my recruiter 3 days a week. After 15 weeks of basic and AIT training, I was getting out of bed one am and my leg buckled under me. I went to the doc, and almost left claw marks on the ceiling when he barely squeezed my shins. After a bone scan, I was diagnosed with stress fractures in both legs from running and stuck in casts. Not fun! Doc was amazed I could even walk, I was so bad off. I explained that in the Army, you push through the pain - period.

Bottom line - an ache is one thing, pain is another.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is really hard to give advice on because knowing what to do only comes with experience, and knowing your own body really well.

If the pain is bad enough that it makes you change your gait (ie limp) then i would say stop immediately

If the pain is significantly worse after your runs, and especially if it is cumulatively getting worse, then you need to back off as well.

Some discomfort in the shins, ankles, calves is pretty normal for new runners and will go away as your body gets used to the stress. You need to be careful not to push to hard as your body adjusts or this discomfort will become a real injury.

the two main strategies are
    1) reduce mileage by 50% and work on stretching and strengthening until the problem goes away.
    2) stop entirely and rest for a few days to a few weeks, this is used to nip a niggle in the bud before it becomes a real injury.

Most of the time pain is an indicator of a problem and it wont just magically get better. You have to figure out what is causing it

look at all these factors
    Stride
    lack of strength
    bad bio mechanics
    lack of flexibility
    bad shoes
    poor choice of running surface
    to many miles to fast

^^^^ this
  • Alexfit12
    Options

Seriously? It's one thing to encourage a person, and another to give them destructive advice. She's not struggling to finish a race, this is about training!

If you have shin splints, take a few days off (4-5 should do it) and then start training again. I've been a runner for the last 8 years and I this a mistake I've done over and over again: pushed myself when my leg muscles were too tired just so I can have the satisfaction that I did my workout, and then had to spend a lot more time in recovery.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have shin splints... As a chronic sufferer I highly recommend inserts called "Superfeet" you can get them at running stores. I had shin splints for 25 years and got rid of them within a month and never got them again (as long as I have the insoles).

As for the ankle, it depends on what kind of pain it is. If it doesn't start until you are into your run and doesn't hurt any other time it is most likely fatigue and should improve as your stamina does.
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    There is a difference between pain and discomfort. The person above who told you to always push through pain is not helpful. Be careful of bored and vicious people on here! In my experience, discomfort (and even pain) have been the result of too much running too soon. I mastered the treadmill, but once I started on pavement, I had incredible ligament pain. My sports med doc advised that you should change only 1 of 4 things at a time as you begin to run; incline, speed, distance, running surface.

As someone else said, if the pain changes your gait or makes you compensate in some way, stop. If its discomfort from something new, or pushing past your limits, then its just a matter of challenging yourself, IMO.

Running was my nemesis for years, so best of luck! It can be conquered!