PROTEIN SHAKES

Options
Tue 02/26/13 03:13 PMi have gotten so confused from trying to figure this out from the internet. so i'm asking my fitness pal community. my brother in law drinks a protein shake( from gnc ) he mixing it with sugar free-silk almond milk, he told me to drink this one hour before lunch and one hour before dinner and then eat a healthy meal.he works out and i do not. should i follow this plan to help me feel full . he has lost about 50pds
thanks for any advice
dancerpurple

Replies

• Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Typically, Protein Shakes are not high in calories, about 120-150 per scoop, and have about 23 grams of protein. Adding protein should never be an issue, and the calories are low. It would be more beneficial if you add some exercise around the shake, but it would not be a negative if you drink them. You want Whey Protein and not Soy Isolate because Soy will cause you to produce estrogen and lower testosterone which would be negative for a guy, i.e. man boobs. :smile:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes can be a good addition to any diet if you are short of protein at the end of the day. Whether you workout or not they are a suppliment to reach your protein macro.

If you can hit that through real food there is no need to use a shake. There is also no specific time you should consume them either. Try to get your protein from food and if you can't reach your goals than have a shake. I only have them towards the end of the day when I am short on my protein macro.

And to add from the above post... soy proteins will not make you grow "man boobs". Soy is perfectly ok to consume just don't be consuming large quantities of it daily if it concerns you. Look for the non- GMO versions as well.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    Protein shakes, do not always have to be "meal replacements", and the same goes for several types of protein bars. Some are HIGH in calories, and work great in substitution for a missed lunch or dinner. Others are LOWER in calories, and are more appropriate for pre/post workouts, snacks, or supplements for added nutrition in a person's diet!

I say, go for it :] As long as your calorie intake is kept within your goals, your weight loss should not be affected negatively!
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your advice!!!!!, i'm going to give it a try
    dancerpurple
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump