can i get some advice?

Options
i haven't actually been on the community page for a while, but back in december when i first started on mfp, i read quite a bit, and at the time thought i had it figured out pretty good, as in how many calories to eat, etc.... i'm trying to eat 1200 calories/ day, but i don't freak out if i go over a hundred or so... but i've stopped losing. i did EXCELLENT at first, losing 14 pounds pretty quick, but now i'm stuck... now i know a lot of people say 1200 is way to low, but keep in mind, i'm lightly active, and only 5 foot 1, and 186 pounds. seems like i read that for people that short, with that much to lose, 1200 isn't too low. so my question is, am i eating too little calories, or is it a plateau? i've unlocked my profile for the time being, and will appreciate any help. please don't judge too harshly. lol. i'm trying. and doing WAY better than i used to.... lol..

and my diary is for the most part, pretty accurate. i put in EVERYTHING i eat... ( i measure and weigh when necessary) sometimes though, like when i eat at a local restaurant, and it's not in the database, i have to pick that food from another restaurant and hope the calories are close.... but that doesnt happen real often. also, sometimes i put food in on the wrong 'meal' and dont' bother fixing it. lol... so if you see candy for breakfast, that is why. haha...

Replies

• kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    anybody?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You'd probably get more responses if your diary wasn't private. Can't comment on what we can't see. Do you do any exercise? Do you eat back your exercise calories.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Add some weights. Ive lost like 40 lbs since october but nothing really happened until i added some weights to my workouts. also look at the calories youre eating...100 calories of like turkey, or veggies, will be processed differently than 100 calories of candy (sucks i know)

dont give up, hang in there :)
  • kend9998
    Options
    oh, i thought i fixed it so that it wasn't private...i even said that in my post.... let me see if i can figure out how to do that...
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this plateau?
    You could either go off your diet for a couple of days or increase your calories.
  • kend9998
    Options
    seems like maybe a month...
  • kend9998
    Options
    i think i may have fixed the privacy thing... but anyway, i don't exercise a lot, but when i do , i eat back most of the calories.
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    I still can't see your food diary. Go to Settings>Diary Settings. Scroll down. Click Public and then Save Changes.
  • kend9998
    Options
    ok, sorry, this is new to me. i'll try again. thanks!
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    ok, sorry, this is new to me. i'll try again. thanks!

No problem. It takes a while to navigate a new site.
  • kend9998
    Options
    hopefully that worked...sorry guys. :-P
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    Well, I gotta say that after looking at a few days from your diary I see that you're not eating very healthfully. There aren't any nutrients in what you're eating. I know that some people can get away with eating processed stuff and still lose weight as long as they have a deficit but it doesn't work that way for me. Once I start adding junk to my diet my weight loss slows down. You'll feel so much better if you give your body more of what it needs. Good protein, fruit, and veggies. I would work on eating more nutrient dense food and increase up to 1400 calories and see if that helps you get past your plateau. Just my 2 cents, though.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    hey im 5'1 too. i have to eat 1,000 at the Most to loose weight
  • kend9998
    Options
    thanks so much! i know i had read that other people were losing no matter what they ate, as long as they stayed within their calorie goals, and therefore, i got a little lazy with my food choices... like tonight for example, i had a lot of work to do, so i told my husband he could pick up whatever he wanted for dinner. i did eat less than usual, so im happy about that, but yeah,i definitely have been slacking a bit on my choices. i guess i just didn't realize that some people can get by like that, but others can't... (of course my luck would be that i can't. lol ) i won't completely cut out all bad foods forever though. i have to make changes that i can live with for the rest of my life, and that doesn't sound like a likely scenario to me.. but i could definitely do better. thanks so much.
  • kend9998
    Options
    hey im 5'1 too. i have to eat 1,000 at the Most to loose weight

really? i can do ok on 1200. it was hard at first, but i can do it ok now. but it would be hard to do less. lol.
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well i am not gonna pretend to be an expert, but i will pass on what people tell me, up your water,,,drink more water. and truthfully do you not like veggies and fruits? you seem to be eating a lot of not so healthy calories, maybe get in more healthy foods....hope you find out whats holding you back, but i am like you not a big exercise and i am lucky that i don't get board of veggies i love my salads. :smile:
  • dangerousdumpling
    Options
    thanks so much! i know i had read that other people were losing no matter what they ate, as long as they stayed within their calorie goals, and therefore, i got a little lazy with my food choices... like tonight for example, i had a lot of work to do, so i told my husband he could pick up whatever he wanted for dinner. i did eat less than usual, so im happy about that, but yeah,i definitely have been slacking a bit on my choices. i guess i just didn't realize that some people can get by like that, but others can't... (of course my luck would be that i can't. lol ) i won't completely cut out all bad foods forever though. i have to make changes that i can live with for the rest of my life, and that doesn't sound like a likely scenario to me.. but i could definitely do better. thanks so much.

You're very welcome. I wish I could get away with some easier food, too. And more junk food. But I have to limit it to about twice a week. There's no way I could cut out all of that stuff completely and forever. Without brownies I'd lose my will live. :laugh:
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Once I start adding junk to my diet my weight loss slows down. I would work on eating more nutrient dense food and increase up to 1400 calories and see if that helps you get past your plateau. Just my 2 cents, though.

This is how it works for me too, and it's really hard! When I'm focused on counting calories, I seem to have a harder time focusing on nutrition, and vice versa. This week I'm trying to just eat more protein and veggies and cut out the sugar, while staying on track with calories. It's not easy!!!!
  • kend9998
    Options
    Well i am not gonna pretend to be an expert, but i will pass on what people tell me, up your water,,,drink more water. and truthfully do you not like veggies and fruits? you seem to be eating a lot of not so healthy calories, maybe get in more healthy foods....hope you find out whats holding you back, but i am like you not a big exercise and i am lucky that i don't get board of veggies i love my salads. :smile:

i drink at least 8 servings of water every day. sometimes i may forget to log a few bottles, but water is never an issue. on a random day, i may run out of bottled water and only drink 6 servings, but that has only happened a few times.

did you look much past this past week? cuz normally i eat plenty of fruits.(but not too much) not a huge fan of veggies, but i try to eat what i can of them. i know this past week or so has been SERIOUSLY lacking, (and the more i think about it, the more i realize it...) but in all fairness, this past week or 2 has been worse than usual... i do (normally) fit in some carrots, broccoli, green beans, etc...

i plan on doing more exercises,and i will. it's just extremely busy time for my family right now, so i'm just too tired to do it most of the time. but things are going to be slowing down next month. that's when i plan on doing more exercise. i was just hoping to lose some in the meantime, and change my eating habits until then. ( plus when i do exercise, i prefer to be outdoors. it should be warming up soon, so i'm looking forward to that :-)

and yeah, i have no reason to live if i can never have a brownie again. haha. i know exactly what you mean CheveuxNoirs. lol
  • kend9998
    Options
    Once I start adding junk to my diet my weight loss slows down. I would work on eating more nutrient dense food and increase up to 1400 calories and see if that helps you get past your plateau. Just my 2 cents, though.

This is how it works for me too, and it's really hard! When I'm focused on counting calories, I seem to have a harder time focusing on nutrition, and vice versa. This week I'm trying to just eat more protein and veggies and cut out the sugar, while staying on track with calories. It's not easy!!!!

sounds like i'm in the same boat. good luck to you. i'm going to be trying the same :-)