Skinny is overrated...please eat (CONCERNED RANT!)

Options

Replies

• 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've called people out on it before and sometimes they're just new to the whole thing and don't understand the whole process... And some people have responded to it well and improved tremendously! I will say something. After all, that's what friends are for!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    ... Maybe I'm in the minority but I liked being skinny, and am hoping to get skinny again. Course I plan to do it healthily, but skinny (for me) is the goal.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Thin feels tired and grey and scrawny and malnourished. Strong and healthy feels good. At least it does to me.

I'm not tired, grey or malnourished. I might be skinny but I'm quite healthy and strong enough to lift myself in yoga, handstands, swing about on a jungle gym, climb trees easily...and so on. Quite happy with what my body is able to do. :)

*plus it's easier to do chin-ups and pull-ups. :D
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

Agreed, that saying makes me shudder. I also did a research paper which involved looking at those sites and that phrase is very very common, that and the similar "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

Who really wants to be "skinny" anyway. Let's change that to "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". :happy:

Oh crap. Probably gonna get hated on for hating on skinny. Didn't mean it like that! Just meant that skinny doesn't always equal healthy. But sometimes healthy equals "skinny".

No hate, I'd love for everyone to be healthy in their body and mind. :)
  • silvajewl
    Options
    Well said. Besides, consuming too few calories can actually put your body into starvation mode and inhibit your progress if you're trying to lose weight. Thanks for the rant!

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Eat-More-to-Lose-Weight
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/536160-can-eating-too-few-calories-prevent-weight-loss/
    http://www.wcgh.org/journey-to-health/how-to-understand-the-risks-of-eating-too-few-calories/

I really liked these links...thanks for sharing!
    I agree that many people are in the danger zone with their calories....but that's their hurdle, not mine. Look out for yourself, offer advice when asked....lead by example and show the healthy way.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

The quote is 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' and it comes from Kate Moss. I used to be an Ana and also a Mia, and if im really honest with myself, Mia up until i started MFP a few months ago. Its been the longest I have gone without in years.
    I can understand the meaning behind it though cant you? I know when I was bigger that i hated how I felt in my skin. Just didnt feel attractive in the slightest. Thin does feel good and after all arent we all trying to get there on this site? Im not saying under eating is good. It isnt. But thin feels nice and thats not Ana, its just a fact.

Or am I wrong?

That quote implies that you either get to enjoy food OR be skinny, which is a very pro- eating disorder mentality.

HEALTHY feels nice. If you are unhealthy, you may like the way you look, but you will not feel good.

There are a million ways to eat what you love and love what you eat and still be healthy and happy with your body.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Well, I just have to say... I've always hated that quote, because, well, NOTHING feels worse than being hungry all. of. the. time.

This is becoming my favorite quote of all time:

"Eat the food. Eat it. You have a right to not exist in a state of semi-starvation. You have a right to be strong and healthy and have opinions and enough energy and mental bandwidth to stand up for yourself. You have a right to have a body that takes up space and makes a statement of presence and strength when you walk into a room (if that is what you want). You have a right to live to your fullest potential, and to pursue more meaningful goals than conforming to an aesthetic ideal. And it starts with finally allowing yourself to eat enough food to be healthy and strong and not HUNGRY all the time."

– gokaleo.com
  • Multifacet
    Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ....and then there are us weight loss surgery people, who are not very welcomed here, and are only following our bariatric centers directions. Its still important that I log my food. Read a profile. Might give you the info you are missing.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    if someone one openly asks I will give my feedback...
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I ask them what their reasons for eating so low are.

Sometimes it's justified.

If they are just Starvin Marvin's - DELETE FRIEND
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Many of us have had the sleeve and are concentrating on getting our protein in as well as 64 ounces of water a day. We are not counting calories per say but doing what our surgeon and nutricianist want us to do!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I delete people who under-eat consistently. It might not be the best way to go about it but I've tried to talk to a few and not one of them ever increased their calories. It's less stressful for both of us to just take them off my friend list. But then, I've also gotten a lot pickier about the friend requests I accept in the first place.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A M E N! Skinny is WAY too overrated. As far as my looks are concerned I'd rather look "Healthy, Fit, and and curvy" over looking skinny. Also, I happen to like my daily allowance of 1350 calories anyway. I FEEL my best when I eat around the 1300 calorie mark!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree! I'm the smallest I've ever been in my adult life, and I eat SO MUCH. And like... I don't even eat that well any more. I have a glass or two of wine almost every day, I eat cheese, bread, beef, cookies, and all the other "bad" foods you're not supposed to eat.

But I make mostly good food choices, and I work out 3-6 times a week. I dunno. I never got it. I feel like most of the time it's rooted in disordered eating and attitudes towards food and body image.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well, I just have to say... I've always hated that quote, because, well, NOTHING feels worse than being hungry all. of. the. time.

This is becoming my favorite quote of all time:

"Eat the food. Eat it. You have a right to not exist in a state of semi-starvation. You have a right to be strong and healthy and have opinions and enough energy and mental bandwidth to stand up for yourself. You have a right to have a body that takes up space and makes a statement of presence and strength when you walk into a room (if that is what you want). You have a right to live to your fullest potential, and to pursue more meaningful goals than conforming to an aesthetic ideal. And it starts with finally allowing yourself to eat enough food to be healthy and strong and not HUNGRY all the time."

– gokaleo.com

Wonderful quote.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    most of the time they are new, most looking for attn, drama and so many on here to find true love. people who arent using this as it was intended and list stupid shyt for exercise, i delete. this is a place for supportive weight loss and cheers, not a therapy session for people with eating disorders. it drives me nuts!!!!!!!!
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    Many of us have had the sleeve and are concentrating on getting our protein in as well as 64 ounces of water a day. We are not counting calories per say but doing what our surgeon and nutricianist want us to do!

This is understandable
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    It would be so nice if everyone felt free and fit and healthy in their own bodies, the truth is that the majority of overweight people don't. So why are you worrying about what others do to achieve that? Isn't it easier to just focus on your own eating and exercise?