Any "secret" eaters out there?

Options
One of my worst habits is eating when I'm alone - it's such an ingrained habit! I'm okay outside of the house, but the second I'm home alone, boom goes the dynamite. How do you get past it?

Replies

• carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this as well. I realized it was a problem when I would find myself sneaking downstairs late at night so my boyfriend wouldn't see me eat an ungodly amount of crap food or if he was going out and I was staying in, I would time the pizza delivery to get to my house shortly after he left--only to be mortified one time when he left later than expected and the pizza that I was going to eat all by myself came to the door while he was still home! It's still a struggle for me but it's gotten a lot better. One thing that I've done is just make sure that my house is only stocked with healthy food so if I'm tempted to eat in secret, my options are only healthy food. (Which definitely means I've binged on string cheese and whole wheat crackers and hummus before but that's way better than ice cream or chips--and generally less tempting!) I don't allow myself to order out any more unless it's my one scheduled cheat meal for the week. Another thing I've done is use the question, "Would I eat this food right now if someone were watching me?" If the answer is "yes" then it means I'm eating a normal, healthy meal! If the answer is "no" then I find something to distract myself with until the craving or emotion or whatever goes away. Also just remember to have patience with yourself. This habit was not born overnight and will not go away overnight. Good luck! You can do it! Baby steps and patience :)
  • scress0514
    scress0514 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    clean out the cupboards of all the junk and go buy only fresh fruits and veggies, then when you want to nibble when your alone you have good choices to choose from.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've totally eaten fast food in the car and then left the bags there so nobody would know!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I haven't had too much issue with it, but times I do, I recognize it and distract myself or get out fo the house.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is just a habit. Food is your go-to when you're not otherwise engaged. Start a hobby. I knit, and I cannot really snack while knitting. :tongue:
  • brad5d
    brad5d Posts: 26
    Options
    if he was going out and I was staying in, I would time the pizza delivery to get to my house shortly after he left--only to be mortified one time when he left later than expected and the pizza that I was going to eat all by myself came to the door while he was still home!

LMAO
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    oh i 've done this...looove food, not so much a hider though but i remember sending my daughter off to school husband off to work and running to mcdonalds just as soon as it hit 11 am...big mac, fries ..went back home and pretended i d never seen mcd's,,and by the way i have eaten a whole pizza by myself too...now a days when i want to gorge my self i find my favorite pita pit or veggie wrap restuarant, still eat by at least its much healthier and less calories:bigsmile:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    The main thing is to honestly log your calories. If you are willing to put it in your mouth, then you better be willing to put it in your log.

this holds you accountable to yourself (which is the most important thing) being accountable to someone else leads to sneak eating
  • babsbod
    Options
    I use to all the time-but I have a new trick, I brush my teeth when ever I feel I am headed in that direction. Lets just say I have the whitest teeth in the south!