This has really pushed my button!

Options
I am not a "fat acceptance" kind of person, but this is going too far.

I hate it how advertising is pushing the boundaries of what we are to consider beautiful human body with "photoshop gone too far approach".

59781_10151450108064076_917262193_n.png
This is a Banana Republic ad.

Neither food industry nor fashion or beauty industry is promoting a healthy body image in this country.

Nobody does, you don't see it anywhere but the Sunday morning fitness infomercials.
We can't even see it on any ads we are constantly bombarded with. How are we supposed to aspire to a healthy body type and lifestyle, as a society?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Choose not to accept that either then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why do you need the media to tell you how to be healthy or what sort of body you should have? We have a million different resources where we can go to see what a REAL healthy body looks like. All we can do is teach our kids, or ourselves if need be, that those photoshopped pictures are basically cartoons and unrealistic. It's something each person has to come to terms with on realizing that those are FAKE images and FAKE people. Ignore it if you don't like it, but it's there. I see more and more NEW images showing the anorexic models next to REAL people and people know that the real people look soo much better. Who wants to look like skeletor??? Not I.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how as the nation gets fatter and fatter, the images on ads become more and more skinny and unrealistic.

Look at that photo and image her standing up.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how the more they push these images at me the more I find myself disliking skinny... and then I feel bad because all body types should be appreciated. *sigh*
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Seems they were going for a retro '60s Twiggy kinda thing.

I'd just ignore it. To each their own. We are each given our own body, to do with it what we will. You can't police what others are doing to their bodies (i.e., the model in the photo). You can only do what YOU prefer, with yours. It seems that many people exert little to no control over their health (obesity epidemic), while a very few take pictures like this to heart and exert the utmost control over their body with unhealthy results (disorders such as anorexia, bulimia). The key is to IGNORE all that, and do what you need to do for yourself and your body. They can create ads, but they can't MAKE you do anything that you don't choose to do with your body. So, ignore them and do what you want.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am not a "fat acceptance" kind of person, but this is going too far.

I hate it how advertising is pushing the boundaries of what we are to consider beautiful human body with "photoshop gone too far approach".
    What I don't understand is why people would choose to let someone else dictate their preferences to them.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    True... they have gone far enough.... i guess they did not get the twiggy memo from the 70's.....
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Because when it's around you all the time and it's held up as a model of beauty and fashion, it's hard not to let it affect the way you feel about yourself even if you are close to conforming to the model. It's constant.

And look at the effect it's having on young people, male and female; puberty is the very age they shouldn't be dieting and should be letting their body find its own natural size, and it's the time they start getting really neurotic about body fat, partly because they are finding their own style and identity and end up trying to look like the trendy models in the pics. You grow up with that around you and it's bound to have an effect.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    I get what you're saying, but the thing is Coco Rocha really IS that thin, I've seen her in person.

I'm sure that picture is photoshopped, but she actually is a very small woman. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how as the nation gets fatter and fatter, the images on ads become more and more skinny and unrealistic.

I have often marveled at this same phenomena myself.

To those claiming to simply not choose it - that doesn't come easy as a child, when your brain isn't yet able to form critical thinking skills, and you are bombarded with it growing up. It actually takes UNlearning, as opposed to learning, to reverse the images and ideas in your head.

Media affects us. Anyone who says otherwise is dismissing the idea of culture (to which we are saturated in from birth to death.) No one exists in a vacuum.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I have often marveled at this same phenomena myself.

To those claiming to simply not choose it - that doesn't come easy as a child, when your brain isn't yet able to form critical thinking skills, and you are bombarded with it growing up. It actually takes UNlearning, as opposed to learning, to reverse the images and ideas in your head.

Media affects us. Anyone who says otherwise is dismissing the idea of culture (to which we are saturated in from birth to death.) No one exists in a vacuum.

This is very true. That being said, the people who can't unlearn it are the ones with the problem, not the people who choose to shrug it off, or even those who push it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    reverse-1311246801_cute_baby_sloth_yawns.gif

Realization is the key to a present state of mind that allows the clutter of media to dissipate
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am impressed that you only have one button!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    It's culture is by design and not to be taken for face value, so to speak. In my opinion the more fat society gets the more negative emotions such as stress, shame, guilt, depression, insecurity and body dissatisfaction is going to happen.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I see ads like this with the same seriousness as I see doodling.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Funny how you make clear you're not one of THOSE PEOPLE who accept and love their fat bodies.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    reverse-1311246801_cute_baby_sloth_yawns.gif

Realization is the key to a present state of mind that allows the clutter of media to dissipate

Deep dude
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't the response you wanted, but that's a gorgeous picture. Is the model unhealthily skinny? Oh god yes. But you can't deny that the dress looks fabulous on her, that the shot is showing off all her best features, and even her little nude flats are adorable. Fashion boils down to any other art form-- the ultimate achievement is creating something pleasing to the eye. And I would say this is very pleasing. Do I wish there were more "curvy" fashion models? Yes, but I have long come to accept the fact that NOBODY, regardless of body size, will look as good as these models do all glammed up. It's called: hair and makeup, extensive training, and expert photographers and photo editors. I'm sure even this girl can look frumpy and not attractive when not on camera...
  • albertasis
    albertasis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That dress look cool though :) although my girlfriend doesn't like geometric prints.

Oh. sorry we were talking about the model? I didn't notice :D
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Because when it's around you all the time and it's held up as a model of beauty and fashion, it's hard not to let it affect the way you feel about yourself even if you are close to conforming to the model. It's constant.
    But it isn't around me all the time, or even a little of the time. This is the first (and I'm sure only) time I've ever seen this picture or this person.

Also this idea that whatever is put in magazines (or wherever this was) becomes accepted as attractive, I'm not buying it. If the 'norm' of the ads became totally out of shape people with raggedy dirty ripped up clothes, rats nest hair, missing teeth, etc etc it would not suddenly become a new standard of beauty.