Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe?

Options
Anyone have a healthy Corned Beef and Cabbage recipie? I'm thinking I'd like to make my own this year for St. Patrick's Day! :bigsmile: Thanks in advance!

Replies

• alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to make it, I made it once while pregnant and got sick..lol. I am going to try Jillians Reubens though...

http://www.biggest-loser-recipes.com/jillians-reuben-sandwich.html

Ingredients:

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray
    2 ounces lean corned beef (2 slices)
    2 slices whole-grain rye bread
    1 ounce low-fat Swiss cheese (1 slice)
    1 tablespoon low-fat Thousand Island dressing
    sauerkraut to taste

Directions:

1. Coat a skillet with butter spray.
    2. Make a sandwich with the remaining ingredients.
    3. Grill sandwich on both sides until cheese melts.

Yield: Serves 1

500 Calories, 15g Fat, 22g Protein, 322mg Sodium, 3.8g Fiber, 40g
    Carbs
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There really isn't an inherently healthy/low-fat corned beef recipe you can make. That being said there are things you can do to cut down a bit on fat and calories. But a flat cut rather than point cut. It is somewhat leaner and usually doesn't have a big cap of fat on the top. Trim all excess fat from the ouside of the meat

Beyond that there is not much else you can do except limit whatever you use on the vegetables when they are cooked. Use liquid from the pot and limit or eliminate putting butter on them.
  • Clm81401
    Options
    I personaly dont care about the callories in my corned beef. I make it two maybe three times a year. In moderation it is wonderfull. First off posting it, here it is. Go to foodnetwork.com type in corned beef. Second you want Alton Browns recipe. You need to get it going on Wendsday so get going. You will also need salt peter (hard to find in my tiny town so I get it off the internet). I have used many recipes and this is the best. I do not boil it like he does I braise it off with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. I get my brisket whole at Walmart (yea I know but its still cheeeep there) and butcher into two cuts. I use the flat for this recipe. If you need some help feel free to ask. Good luck, no matter what "Corned Beef" is easy.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Um. Put corned beef and cabbage in crock pot. Fill halfway with water. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

The Irish are known for complicated cuisine.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Love corned beef and not worring about it on St Patricks day.I know the sodium is going to kill me the next day so I'll drink a lot of water and pass on the green beer.

St Patty's day is huge in the Boston area,I can't pass on this!
  • richbehr
    richbehr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is how my late mother and both grandmothers made it. They always used the point cut. Fattier, yes but has more flavor.
    Mom would always buy a couple of smaller ones instead of a big one.(they really shrink during cooking) Take it (or them) out of the plastic and place it in a large pot and cover with several inches of cold water. Bring to a boil and boil hard for 10 minutes or so, you will see the scum on the surface. After 10-15 minutes remove the meat and dump the water. Place meat back in the pot and cover with cold water and add a heaping tablespoon of pickling spice and simmer until the meat is tender about 3-4 hours. When the meat is done add whole red potatoes, carrots and small white onions. When these are about halfway done, add cabbage that has been cut into wedges (mom used small heads and cut them into quarters) and cook until the cabbage is tender. Do NOT overcook the cabbage. Nothing is worse than mushy cabbage. I've even used brussel sprouts instead of cabbage and they were delicious.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Um. Put corned beef and cabbage in crock pot. Fill halfway with water. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

The Irish are known for complicated cuisine.

BWAHAHAHA! OK, Love that :)
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't like the chewy texture when you boil corned beef. I roast mine in a covered pan on a rack with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan at 325 degrees until done (time depends on the size). For the cabbage, cut into chunks, toss with a little olive oil and roast on a cookie sheet in a 425 degree oven until just beginning to brown. Much better than the boiled version.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always add additional 'pickling spices' and instead of water, I use apple juice. Everyone who has had mine says it's the best they've eaten. I cook it verrrry slow on the stove or all afternoon in the crock pot. I put the veggies in after 1/2 way thru. It's a boiled dinner and you can only screw it up if you don't cook the meat or veggies enough. Good Luck :)!!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I always add additional 'pickling spices' and instead of water, I use apple juice. Everyone who has had mine says it's the best they've eaten. I cook it verrrry slow on the stove or all afternoon in the crock pot. I put the veggies in after 1/2 way thru. It's a boiled dinner and you can only screw it up if you don't cook the meat or veggies enough. Good Luck :)!!

How much apple juice are you adding to your roast?
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :happy: SO going to make corned beef and cabbage this weekend! :happy:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love corned beef. Corned beef and cabbage, even better! Posting for the reminder to come back and look (and to search out some recipes). I was surprised that corned beef brisket had a higher protein to fat ratio than i expected. Four ounces from Trader Joes has 180 calories, 28 g of protein, 6 g fat and only 2 g carbs. Even if I can't find a good low-cal recipe, you add cabbage, a few carrots and maybe some tomatoes or tomato sauce -- should be good, healthy and not too calorie dense.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I make corned beef and cabbage several times a year because I LOVES IT. Here's how we do it, very simple:

Rinse your corned beef, setting aside spice packet
    Put it in a good sized pot, like you would for a good stew. Cover with water, leaving 3 or so inches from the top of the pot
    Boil. When the icky scum-salt stuff comes up, scoop it off.
    Lower the heat to a low simmer. Add spice packet, celery (a cup or so diced), onion (diced onion or so) (and other stuff if you like it, I don't! hehe)
    Simmer -at least- one hour per pound of meat (ideal is 1 hour/pound, + an extra hour)
    Half hour before the timer is up, throw in potatoes (however much you like; smaller chunks cook better). 5-10 minutes later, throw in cabbage (cored, and in eighths). You can put the cabbage in earlier if you like it a little more tender, but the more it's cooked, the more it gives off that distinctive sulphury cabbage smell -- personally, I don't mind the smell and like it very tender.
    Timer goes off-- you know it's done if you can fairly easily take off a chunk of meat with a fork.
    take out the meat and let it rest under foil for 10-15 minutes
    scrape off most of the fat. slice against the grain.
    Serve and devour! :)

I am actually making one tonight, nom nom nom

edit: I just get a flat cut-- they are actually usually the ones with a layer of fat on top, in my experience-- the other cut is more marbled. I look through the briskets at the store to try to find one with the least amount of visible fat on it. I want it there for the cooking and when the meat rests, but I like to get rid of the majority of it... to me, that flavors it enough :)

sorry if the directions seem overly detailed-- I tell friends and family the basics on how to make it all the time and they always tell me that it doesn't turn out as well. I don't know if they're trying to flatter me so I'll cook more for them or if they are dumb. So! No step skipped or skimped on, hehe. :)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Yum! I love corned beef. Corned beef and cabbage, even better! Posting for the reminder to come back and look (and to search out some recipes). I was surprised that corned beef brisket had a higher protein to fat ratio than i expected. Four ounces from Trader Joes has 180 calories, 28 g of protein, 6 g fat and only 2 g carbs. Even if I can't find a good low-cal recipe, you add cabbage, a few carrots and maybe some tomatoes or tomato sauce -- should be good, healthy and not too calorie dense.

Please don't forget potatoes. For the love of Ireland, don't forget the taters!! :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Please don't forget potatoes. For the love of Ireland, don't forget the taters!! :)

Oh my gosh, no! potatoes are a given... I can't believe I didn't say it though.
    I wonder how turnips would be too? Too strong a taste for the blend?