two a day workouts....how do we feel about them?

Options

Replies

• alexandraleaden
    Options
    I'm about to hit #3 soon. Cardio & yoga in the early morning, brisk walk at lunch and CrossFit at night. I don't do it daily but feel pretty accomplished after I do it. Plus, if something fun pops up I don't feel so obligated to workout knowing i've already put some time in.

This sounds awesome! I bet you do feel accomplished!

your great!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    who is we?

the MFP community, I'm posting for opinions - to you guys
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    who is we?

:laugh: Apparently not everyone saw the obviousness in that!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    LOVE!!! I am extremely into hot yoga right now and if I could everyday, I would do two workouts. One in the morning and one in the evening preferrably but I don't mind back to back. When I was training hardcore strength and cardio, I would do two a day, cardio morning strength in the evenin, or just an extra long workout.

I think it depends on what keeps you engaged and motivated. I personally, dont think there is anything wrong with it assuming a healthy diet and eating enough to sustain your energy so that your whole body doesn't crash on you.

Thanks for posting! great stuff!
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd been slacking a bit lately but when i workout more than once a day (2 or 3 times) I almost always look and feel better.

Speaking of which, I worked out this morning and will be headed to the gym this evening to hop on the eliptical.

i usually do strength training / cross fit/ JM dvd / abs circuit (one of those) in the morning and then head to the gym around 8pm for 30-45 mins of cardio.

I'm going to re-engage with that routine and after 2 weeks have passed I'll let you know if there's a major difference. In the past, it's always made a huge difference.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    who is we?

:laugh: Apparently not everyone saw the obviousness in that!

I know right?! lol
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I do it once a week because of schedule overlap. Monday morning I have a 1-hour Pilates class; Monday evening I have a short (~30 minutes) training group run. Works well for me. I have Pilates again on Thursdays, but that particular class leaves me so sore I haven't yet been able to run after it, even several hours later. I don't like not running on Thursdays, so I'm hoping I get over that soon.

Sometimes on other shortish-run days I'll do an arms & abs DVD, but that's only 15 minutes. Not a problem to combine it with a run, especially as it works different muscles.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I'd been slacking a bit lately but when i workout more than once a day (2 or 3 times) I almost always look and feel better.

Speaking of which, I worked out this morning and will be headed to the gym this evening to hop on the eliptical.

i usually do strength training / cross fit/ JM dvd / abs circuit (one of those) in the morning and then head to the gym around 8pm for 30-45 mins of cardio.

I'm going to re-engage with that routine and after 2 weeks have passed I'll let you know if there's a major difference. In the past, it's always made a huge difference.

Friend me and PLEASE DO keep me informed! Thanks! - alex
  • alexandraleaden
    Options

I love this! thank you! - BUT as long as you do a high impact and then a low impact.... (ie weights in morning and cardio at night) I don't see the problem....AS LONG as you are eating properly....

Thank you for the graph - love those!
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I believe Cranky meant the royal "we" and we all know who that is...

Not that I am speaking for you your hotness, I mean, highness. :blushing:
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was doing it for a while- lifting in the morning and cardio at night. Honestly, it burned me out; I ended up feeling like I lived at the gym. I'm much happier just getting up 30m earlier and squeezing in my cardio after I lift. But if you have the time and enjoy it, more power to you.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think more than one workout in a day is great. However, I generally won't do it, because I don't want to have to shower more than twice in one day. I prefer to workout in the a.m., before my shower, and then once I'm showered and dressed and looking fabulous, I'm done for the day. :bigsmile:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I love this! thank you! - BUT as long as you do a high impact and then a low impact.... (ie weights in morning and cardio at night) I don't see the problem....AS LONG as you are eating properly....

Thank you for the graph - love those!

Just a note on the graph:

I don't agree with some of it, eg eat every few hours and take a post workout supplement, but the general principles apply. But in short, just do it IF you want, just make sure you compensate with enough calories BUT ensure you remain at a deficit if fat loss is your goal. If at any time you feel unable to continue due to feeling ill or exhausted, take a break and continue or stop altogether.

Good luck.
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thinking about doing this starting next week as I have a trip coming up in April...
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I was doing it for a while- lifting in the morning and cardio at night. Honestly, it burned me out; I ended up feeling like I lived at the gym. I'm much happier just getting up 30m earlier and squeezing in my cardio after I lift. But if you have the time and enjoy it, more power to you.

What if you did your workouts at home or outside, would you do it?
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    Since the 1st of the year...I have worked out with weights in the AM....usually at 0430 and then take a walk/run in the evening and follow that up with pushups and a light core exercise....

I like it...it has become a habit now and it keeps me from eating and drinking beer(s).
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Thinking about doing this starting next week as I have a trip coming up in April...

I need to add travel to my motivation list on my profile! Good luck!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I do them once in a blue moon, usually because I am bored...
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the graph:

I don't agree with some of it, eg eat every few hours and take a post workout supplement, but the general principles apply. But in short, just do it IF you want, just make sure you compensate with enough calories BUT ensure you remain at a deficit if fat loss is your goal. If at any time you feel unable to continue due to feeling ill or exhausted, take a break and continue or stop altogether.

Good luck.

Forgot to mention, I do not agree with the 2 years experience also!

Starting to think I am a big hypocrite for even posting it LOL.

But as you said it's okay if you're doing 1x strength and 1x light cardio/mobility work.