Ask Siri, it knows!

Options
If you've got an iOS device with Siri you can ask it how many calories are in a specific amount of food and it will look it up and do the math for you! It does NOT work with brand specific items or combined foods but you can ask it ANY general fruit, vegetable or meat (including the cut) and it will cough up and answer for you.

Examples:

"How many calories are there in 4.73 ounces of London Broil?"

"How many calories are there in 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese?"

"How many calories are there in 8.63 ounces of red onion?"

I just actually did these so I know they work. Experiment and see how helpful it is for you. This comes in super handy for "quick adding" calories when you are cooking and abiding a specific serving size is not so important, but you want to enter how many calories you're consuming.

Thought I'd share.

edit: karmahunger reports: Works for galaxy s3 assistant too

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that... thanks for sharing! :)
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    oh SNAP! Just got my phone a couple days ago and LOVE Siri. Thanks for the info!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just got my iphone today & was having fun with SIri today. Ask her how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. its pretty funny.

Thanks for the info!
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ask her, "Do you think I'm fat?" lol
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Just be careful, it told my friend there was 100 calories in 2 large hard boiled eggs. As far as I know, there's 70 calories in each egg
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks... good information.... I don't have Siri but the supreme over lord of a wife does... I think she gets jelous of Siri when I use the app...lol
  • RobJVM
    Options
    Just be careful, it told my friend there was 100 calories in 2 large hard boiled eggs. As far as I know, there's 70 calories in each egg

I just asked it... "How many calories are there in 1 large egg?"

It replied 83

It may depend on exactly how you ask.

If it says, "Would you like me to search the web…" just cancel right there, you're getting a website and NOT the Wolfram Alpha statistical database.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I ask her so much, I'm surprised I've never asked that. Thanks
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just got my iphone today & was having fun with SIri today. Ask her how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. its pretty funny.

Thanks for the info!

Is it - A woodchuck would chuck as much as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I also never though to ask Siri about food items. I'll have to play around with it to see if the answers match up to the usda and nutritiondata.self stuff.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Works for galaxy s3 assistant too, it comes up with all the nutrition too. Nifty! Thanks for sharing!
  • RobJVM
    Options

Thanks for the info!

Is it - A woodchuck would chuck as much as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I also never though to ask Siri about food items. I'll have to play around with it to see if the answers match up to the usda and nutritiondata.self stuff.

At appears to access the Wolfram Alpha Statistical Database for such queries.

http://www.wolframalpha.com
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    As it gives 257 calories for a 202 gramm white rice portion I don't trust it that much though.
  • RobJVM
    Options
    As it gives 257 calories for a 202 gramm white rice portion I don't trust it that much though.

1 cup = 175 grams = 200 calories

Close enough for "guestimating" IMHO if that's where you're at.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!

I thought it was - A woodchuck would chuck all the wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. Thank you for sharing that, I never know what to ask Sri so I never use it lol.
  • RobJVM
    Options
    *bump
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options

1 cup = 175 grams = 200 calories

Close enough for "guestimating" IMHO if that's where you're at.

The problem is that 100 grams of normal white rice have 350 calories.