Coconut Oil

Options
dalh
dalh Posts: 82 Member
I've been hearing good things about coconut oil lately. How it helps you burn fat etc and that you should consume 3 or 4 tbsp of it per day. Any ideas on how to do that without actually eating it from the jar? lol I tried stir frying shrimp in it today and found that it just left a waxy coating on the shrimp, once it was cooled, and I think the majority of the oil congealed in the pan. Any good ideas?

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I use it for cooking with. IMHO 3-4tbsp is a lot of oil especially one with saturated fats.

I have also heard of it being used in coffee (bullet proof coffee)
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i put it in my oatmeal .. lol or eat it from the jar >.>... sometimes put it in my tea...
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I fry my eggs in it (but I use the refined for this because I don't care for coconut flavored eggs).
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I bought a huge jar of it because it is supposed to be so good for you. I am now using it as moisturizer because I do not like cooking with it. Husband likes it on popcorn.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I tried it without counting the calories as they are supposed to help with metabolism and I stalled immediately. I still use the coconut oil sometimes because I like the flavor (shrimp stirfry-yum!) but I make sure to log the calories.
  • dalh
    Options
    Adding it to coffee is a good suggestion, thank you, but I don't drink coffee. And from what I have read, the sat fat in coconut oil is not harmful as it is in other vegetable oils :) Here is one article....http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

Adding it to oatmeal is brilliant, I will def try that, thanks. And using it for eggs, as well :)
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I cook with it - love it! I've put it on my skin (including face) LOVE it! You smell good, and your skin literally looks amazing.
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    It's a little tricky once it solidifies. I bought it to substitute for shortening, and have since used it to replace butter when I'm in a pinch.
  • dalh
    Options
    I bought a huge bottle of coconut oil as well....my daughter has seborrheic dermatitis in her hair. I'm hoping that this might be a miracle cure lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    It's a medium chain triglyceride and it's not stored as adipose tissue like most other fats are and instead used as immediate energy, so basically the thermic effect of medium vs long chain fatty acids is different and why some are inclined to say that it helps burn fat but in reality it's used up before it gets a chance to be stored.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    It's great stuff. Fairly inexpensive at Trader Joe's.

I use it mainly to substitute for baking with shortening and sauteeing in vegetable oil, and I use it in curry and stirfry. It stands up to heat very well.

3-4 tablespoons seems a bit much however. I just fit it into my macro for fat.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ive been using it for awhile. I pretty much cook everything with it. Ive also started baking with it instead of butter. I use it as a moisturizer (on my face too... only use a tiny little bit... a little goes along way!!!) and give it to the dog to help her breath and coat. I just started using in my hair as a styling product too.... :) I love the taste of it and avoid the cold pressed.
  • lizibame
    lizibame Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also bake with it, substituted anytime it asks for butter, oil or shortening, made naan with it last night and even though i logged the calories, no skipping here, i know it's not as bad for me as the others would have been!
  • Conniekui
    Options
    I use it as well but only a tablespoon. Sometimes just a teaspoon, and that's for the whole day. The Trader Joes one is okay.
  • danelledawnc
    danelledawnc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use, and have been using coconut oil for cooking everything in, when oil or butter is called out, for about 6 years. I use it as moisturizer, just about everything... I love it and my hubby fell in love with it after I asked if he would try it! Gluten free pancakes, brownies with coconut oil are fabulous... but then again, I use it to fry eggs in, potatoes in, you name it, I use it. But yes, we use it in place of all oils as a healthy alternative for baking, frying, cooking. Olive oil should not be used at high temps as once it meets its flash point, it turns to a transfat and since coconut oil has a very high flash point, you don't run into that issue.AND, You should only be using Unrefined Cold-Pressed. Refined, heat pressed(processing) kills nutrients. As for the waxy coating, I have never noticed it honestly... mercola.com has plenty of articles regarding coconut oil.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't use more than a tbsp per day. Use for frying eggs, veggies etc
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it is suppose to be in liquid form like olive oil or solid like shortening. I saw a big container at costco, it looks solid. Is anyone using the one from costco and is it considered a "good one"?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I use, and have been using coconut oil for cooking everything in, when oil or butter is called out, for about 4 years. I love it! Gluten free pancakes in coconut oil are fabulous... but yes, we use it as a healthy alternative for "frying." Olive oil should not be used at high temps as once it meets its flash point, it turns to a transfat and since coconut oil has a very high flash point, you don't run into that issue. You should only used cold pressed unrefined as well. As for the waxy coating, I have never noticed it honestly... mercola.com has plenty of articles regarding coconut oil.
    Olive oil does not turn into trans fats when over heated, nor does any oil. Oils high in polyunsaturated fats oxidize almost immediately though, which encourages free radical activity on the cellular level, not a good thing.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    and another one bites the dust...
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I put 1/2 tablespoon in my coffee along with heavy cream, blend it....turns into a "latte" like hot beverage, very smooth and satisfying!

And, yeah, those medium chain fatty acids are sooooo good for you!